• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M880 Thread (pics plus bonus M882)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, I've contacted Chris. No idea on value though.

Thanks for the drawing. I will have to see if I can get someone around here to make some.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news, local fab shop (Wilson Off-Road LLC, downtown Fayetteville) is going to make me the brackets. should have them in about 2 weeks, only delay being the main fabricator is on the sidelines due to a neck flare up.

Have another shop, word of mouth place, that is doing my rust repair right now. Actually pulled in (was driving the truck to the DMV for title/antique verification) and had the replacement panels in the bed. Should be up tomorrow afternoon or so. Also have leads on local places to do sand blasting and such for the bed kit. once I get the truck back, I'll be doing the duplicolor bed liner. First will be a heavy layer of black. then spray on of their OD green. not quite FS 34079, but at least close.

Goal right now is to have her painted and seat kit operational for the Veteran's Day Parade, 7 November.

Also, on the trail of rims. but they are low on the totem pole of importance. pretty sure pre-1994 Ford 16", 8 x 6.5" rims, 7" wide, are the closest and best bet.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... a big progress update.

Sent the brush guard off to Final Touch Powder Coating, got in back in a few days (well ahead of the 2 weeks quoted) and it looks awesome (no pics.

Today was Paint day. We spent almost all day yesterday sanding and prepping. Today, we got a late start but she is green!!!! No pics, it was too late and I was getting in a foul mood from not eating or drinking right all day.

Here's a few pics of prep (pic not of me, but of my buddy). We did use the Behr, and added a bit of water, sometimes had too much, started with none.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the factory color (whatever that was) before uncle slathered it with MERDC and later NATO 3 color.

nattieleather

Nice color. I use to do my M151 in that color. Get 24087 and flatten it out. Seen many a active duty MV painted like that through the 70s and 80s.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to wish I woulda went with a shade of green closer to that. But that's okay, the 383 ought to look sharp once I get it all done. :)
I debated 383, but I enjoy this color. It looks nice.

You need to make it out for this parade. There's always nice equipment. SF brought a few different HMMWVs, a Hilux, M-ATV, a few ATVs a side by side, 108th aDA had an Avenger, 18th Fires BDE had a HIMARS, There was a HMMWV ambulance somewhere. then there were a few Mutts, a LVAD FMTV, fewer M38A1s this year, actually don't recall any. No CUCVs either.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow did that truck turn out nice! Hard to believe how fast you turned that truck from GSA forgotten turn-in to parade ready. Tell us which tires ended up on it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks