• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M880 Thread (pics plus bonus M882)

N1265

Just as a matter of curiosity, what model year 3/4 ton Dodge van did you use to source the 16 in rims? I'm running the oem 16.5 in rims on my M882 now, but 16 in rims might be easier to find tires for when the time comes.
It's been 10+ years since I did the conversion, But if memory serves me right it had the 4 square headlights. This would make it somewhere around an '80 - '85.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the call at work, rims have been powder coated... now gotta decide on some tires... thinking General Grabber or similar...

Thoughts on sizes? No Lift, No Trim.

RichM882

Well the rims turned out to be 16.5" items !!!! So back on the hunt for some 16" wheels !!! How much lift does a stock M882 need to run Hummer wheels and 37 12.50 16.5 tyres?
This is not my favoured solution because it may look silly but strangely enough they are easier to find this side of the Atlantic.....

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, good news/bad news. Got the truck to a highly recommended tire shop today... one of the rims that I bought is a 16.5"... not happy... had to pull one off the Pioneer Tool Trailer, that's thankfully 16". going to put the old M880 tires on the Pioneer for now.

hopefully she'll be rolling out tomorrow.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a bummer. Even an expert can be duped mate.
it's more like, the guy who sold them didn't look. I didn't look when I dropped them off... oh well. Tires are successfully on, the spare works, and I'll be putting the old ones off the M880 on the pioneer. all works out in the end!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smooth as GLASS... holy crap what a difference some tires make. I'll get the details and pics up this weekend, but drove her back from the shop today... and WOW... seriously smooth. like a completely different truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are our pictures? Here are some pics of the Wranglers I mentioned earlier in this thread. These are mounted on 2000 Chevy wheels which will not fit the 880 due the center hole not being large enough. These are 265-75-16 next to stock Wrangler 9.5-16.5.

Attachments

RichM882

I think I am just going to have to stump up and buy some new 16" rims for the old girl. I can get some made by a company called Wheel Vintiques which look exactly like the originals but are 8jx16" rims with a zero offset. This should mean that the rim outer edge is 4" from the hub mounting face. Does anyone know what this distance is on a standard rim ?
They are expensive though. 4 rims will cost about $ 600 over here in England !!!!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from taking some pictures.

Apparently, I'm now a victim of being unable to upload photos, either from my phone via the website or desktop via the website.

20160228_134809.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks