• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M931 Recovery and Restoration thread...

goldneagle

I took the truck out the following day for a test drive on the interstate. Two miles into the trip i was forced to pull over to the side of the road because the truck was overheating! I checked the coolant level and it was a little low. Since I had plenty of coolant in the tool box i filled the reservoir and tested the system. Still overheating!

Called a mechanic friend that is a member here and he came out to assist. He looks at the engine and said where is the water pump belt? Seems that after all the work i did on the cooling system, i never looked if the belt to the water pump was attached! He also said the rest of the belts need replacing.

We limped our way to his shop and left the truck there until Monday. Well Monday we ordered all the belts but they got delayed due to the storm coming. I finally got all the belts in stock, but we could not get it fixed and running until a week after the storm passed.

We installed all the new belts and changed the oil and filter as well. The truck started and ran great. it never went over 200 degrees on the slow trip home.

The moral of this story is: Check your belts before going on the road! :driver:

goldneagle

Once i got the truck home I decided to do some minor work to it. I replaced the old tail lights with a set of new LED lights. I had purchased a couple of sets a year or so ago when they were available cheap on Ebay. it was a bit more work than the ones on the Deuce. These had shields in the back that had to be removed in order to unbolt them.

Another upgrade was the fuel/water separator filter. I had purchased a CAT 151-0240 filter with housing a couple of years ago off Ebay but never used it. It is for the 3406C CAT engine. I do not have the part number for the base. i hope someone can match it using the filter number and engine it fits on. Please post it here for reference.

Lucky for me the fittings on the new housing were the same size and style as the ones on the filter housing on the truck. I was able to remove the old fittings from the canister filter housing and install them on the new spin-on filter housing. The 3 mounting holes also matched the holes in the mounting plate on the truck. All I had to do was pull some slack on the fuel feed hose going to the IP. No alterations were required.

I also ordered a oil filter adapter for the truck. Once I install it all the filters for the truck will be spin-on instead of canister. :driver:

Dukeman

our 931 came with a spin on coolant filter already installed. I bet the spin on filter upgrades are nice, but with the little mileage this one will see the initial filter changes we just did will be good for several years. This weekend will be spent taking care of a little rust. Very unusual for this part of the country, this unit must have seen service somewhere other then New Mexico. One of the air tanks needs some painting. Looks like you are doing some fun stuff, glad you got the overheating problem taken care of.

Attachments

goldneagle

our 931 came with a spin on coolant filter already installed. I bet the spin on filter upgrades are nice, but with the little mileage this one will see the initial filter changes we just did will be good for several years. This weekend will be spent taking care of a little rust. Very unusual for this part of the country, this unit must have seen service somewhere other then New Mexico. One of the air tanks needs some painting. Looks like you are doing some fun stuff, glad you got the overheating problem taken care of.
Nice truck! Can you post a picture showing the coolant filter setup in your truck?

wsucougarx

You sure you're looking at a COOLANT filter spin-on rather than the transmission spin on filter? When I got my 923, I thought the spin on filter was a coolant filter. Then I found out it was for the transmission.

goldneagle

You sure you're looking at a COOLANT filter spin-on rather than the transmission spin on filter? When I got my 923, I thought the spin on filter was a coolant filter. Then I found out it was for the transmission.
Yep the filter supported by the personal heater is for the transmission! I just replaced it.

Here is the picture again of mine installed: You can see the transmission filter in the background.

Attachments

goldneagle

I talked to Jwaller and he said the part that actually attaches to the housing is a smaller diameter. There seem to be 3 major brands that produce this adapter. Baldwin OB1368, Hastings KF26 and Fleetguard 3300923S. They all have the same dimensions and all the pictures look the same. I would not be surprised if they were made by the same factory and marketed under different brands.

I was able to get the last Hastings adapter from AMAZON.com. I should have it by the end of the week. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I GOT THE RIGHT STUFF!

It was $78 shipped from AMAZON.com. :driver:

The adapter came in today! I checked it out and found that the Fleetguard part number was stamped under the Hastings sticker. It is a Fleetguard 3300923S relabeled as Hastings KF26. It comes with all the gaskets, lock washer, flat washer and 5-1/2" long 5/8" fine thread bolt.

I even tried the NAPA 1970 filter on it and it fits perfect.

I hope this helps members that want to upgrade their oil filter housings on the NHC 250.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About to do a recovery on a pair of m923A2 in Wisconsin any body close to there?
:lost:Not sure what this has to do with GE's recovery and modifications to his M931 in Louisiana , but you might get better responses with a separate thread.

goldneagle

I know it has been a long time since I posted in this thread. I dropped off the truck to a friend's place to have the rusted cab floor repaired. It has taken over 9 months for him to get the work done. Lots of wasted time! I am not going to go into detail as to reason for the delays. I had to do some of the work myself to get it moving forward. Here are some initial pictures of the floor with the rusted areas cut out. Later pictures of the floor with Chassis Saver paint applied.

Attachments

goldneagle

Since the painting of the rusted floor I have managed to prime and paint the underside of the metal sheet that we will use to patch over the cab floor. I also pre-drilled the holes in the metal sheet where I planned to use self-tapping screws to hold the metal down to the existing floor. Before installing the sheet we applied a lot of seam sealer to the existing floor around all the cut openings and the perimeter of the patch area. We installed the sheet and secured it in place with self-tapping screws. We will let the seam sealer cure until Monday. I plan to remove the screws and replace them with heavy duty 3/16 rivets.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks