• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936A2 project (update)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jason:
This is just so cool they are great wreckers I would take one over an FMTV wrecker any day. The only one above yours would be a HEMMT wrecker but those are really heavy too. Great truck and glad it came to you. I think I saw it at Aberdeen during one of my recoveries one dolly I bought was missing the towbar and they let me roam around looking to see if I could find it and I saw your wrecker and looked it over. Thanks for posting and keep us up to date.

halftrack

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Jason:
This is just so cool they are great wreckers I would take one over an FMTV wrecker any day. The only one above yours would be a HEMMT wrecker but those are really heavy too. Great truck and glad it came to you. I think I saw it at Aberdeen during one of my recoveries one dolly I bought was missing the towbar and they let me roam around looking to see if I could find it and I saw your wrecker and looked it over. Thanks for posting and keep us up to date.
I don't believe that is the same one. That one as an A1 with a wrecked front fender. This truck was picked up in Alabama. Medlog said at one time it was in MD at the proving grounds. For what purpose I don't know.

Cdub

Hi Jason,

WOW.............CONGRATS..............!!!

What can I say except for " Man I just Love it........!!! " [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

The best of Luck with her.

Cheers,

C'dub

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The truck I saw was in the same shape it was out in the restricted area of the proving grounds and I was wondering if it was going to sales it had the same amount of rust and looked in the same shape. I hope more of these come up for sale I would certainly take one if the price is right.

halftrack

Got to work a little on the M936A2 this weekend. It seems like everytime I go to work on the truck, no sooner I need to pack up my tools and go home--and I only live 3 miles away.

Anyway, I put the front lights on (doesn't look like a parts truck now), put the fan clutch actuator on, rewired and zip tied a bunch of noodles, put the contol box on, and put the transfecase PTO on. Whoever robbed the PTO in the first place must of really wanted it. It was not easy putting it on by yourself.

I thoght I would have it running by now but maybe next weekend. It's the little stuff that is killing me. A fitting here and disconnected wire there and bracket missing here. You know how it is, it's the details that kill you.

And by the way, even though the wrecker body looks the same as the M816, the M936 is a totally different beast from the M816. Nothing is the same from the deck on down.

Attachments

Cdub

Hi Jason,

that's great to hear your still pushing forward on getting her up and running. These things do take some time but will all be worth it in the end when she is up and running.

I myself really like the hunting around for the correct parts, going over each system, running back and forth to the manuals doing the research. I kinda miss that end of it. Now it's all paint work for Sharleen.

The Best of Luck with her. Please keep us up-dated on all the little details of your progress. It brings me back to when I first got my truck......

Cheers,

C'dub

halftrack

Cdub said:
Hi Jason,

that's great to hear your still pushing forward on getting her up and running. These things do take some time but will all be worth it in the end when she is up and running.

I myself really like the hunting around for the correct parts, going over each system, running back and forth to the manuals doing the research. I kinda miss that end of it. Now it's all paint work for Sharleen.

The Best of Luck with her. Please keep us up-dated on all the little details of your progress. It brings me back to when I first got my truck......

Cheers,

C'dub
Thanks Craig,

Hopefully it will have a paint job as good as yours one day. Even though it is an "A2" model, I still wish it was a Marine Corps truck like yours. Marines never used the "A2" variant.

Cdub

Hi Jason,

Wow...I never knew they didn't use the A2's.........Good info to know........Thanks for the promps.

Keep those pic flow'n.

Cheers,

C'dub

halftrack

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Besides hearing my chlidren cry when they were born, hearing the sound of a Cummins CTA 8.3 in my M936A2 start up a run has to be the most rewarding thing to hit my ears.

After much anticipation, I finally got the 8.3 to start a run. And boy, does she run. That must be one of the most tight sounding motors for a large truck that I ever heard. It is like night and day when compared to a NHC 250.

The motor was registering about a 35 PSI G for oil (at idle), alt was in the green, no smoke at the exhaust, and it starts quicker than my new pick-up truck.

Couple of things to remember for next time. Make sure the transmission cooler lines valves are not open, otherwise you will get about a gallon of Transmission fluid on the ground and inner fender.

Also, If I had to pick between the NHC 250 and the 8.3, hands down I would pick the 8.3. Its a totally different beast. Much more modern and more reactive to the pedal. More to come later, and pics too.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome Jason! I remember that feeling when my 923A2 came alive. Now, just send me all of your leftover engine parts please! ;-)

halftrack

Chris or anyone else,

Would anyone have any extra U-bolt this size? I went to several hardware stores and can't seem to find the right size. Also the U bolt that clamps the transmission cable to the side of the tranny. Might have to fabric it, just don't want to. Its amazing how a $1 u-bolt can hold up a big truck.

Attachments

halftrack

That was my first try. The botl size dia of the u-bolt was too large for the slots in the bracket, I may end up making the bracket holes large. Thanks for the suggestion and tip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks