• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M936A2 project (update)

Cdub

Appreciate the offer, but I am not losing sleep over it. Thanks though. Its what I had in the garage so I used them. The next owner can switch it out to black if he wants.
I'm so anal about the little details. I always use black ties......LOL.....Haha...

btw.....if the fan clutch goes bad. There are two docked bolts that you can use to lock the clutch in place. This way the fan will still turn. If the fan clutch goes bad the fan will not turn.

Cheers,

C'dub

halftrack

Awesome info Craig, was that info in the TM's?? I never got around to reading all 6 1000 page TM's yet. Shame on me. I've been skipping around.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's in the Op manual too. I got a very large package in the UPS truck today containing a starter. Thanks Jason. The UPS guys hates me :twisted:

halftrack

What a weekend. I finally got the truck to run off its own fuel tanks. Was easier than I thought. I simply added a quick release air fitting to the vent fitting on the fuel tank and hooked up the pan-cake compressor to it and applied pressure. It flushed out the line and quickly had fuel pouring out of the supply line to the fuel pump. NO MORE hand priming! That was wearing a hole in my palm. Truck starts up quicker than my new pick-up.

Finally cleaned out he radiator hoses and fittings. Made sure everything was fastened tight and began adding Anit-freeze (not water, a mistake on my part) to the reservoir. Then the sound that everyone dreads when filling up a radiator. The sound of water pouring and streaming from the radiator soon pierced my ears. I jumped of the truck's tire and went to the front to see about 4 different pin holes of water shooting out of the front of the radiator. What did the army do, shot it with a shot-gun? Operations halted and radiator removal process began.

It only took about 30 mins to un-fasten the radiator and remove it. That is one heavy radiator. Going to bring it to a shop to get it boiled and repaired. Not too bad of a disappointment I guess. Things were going too smooth. Something had to go wrong.

Used the opportunity to clean the front cross member and clean up the radiator support. Overall, a good work day. A couple of pics to tease you with. Sorry for not having more.

Attachments

halftrack

I also forgot to mention that the truck built air pressure and filled the tanks up rather quickly and the brakes seem to work fine. For the remainder of the day, I did what you suggested Chris and simply hooked the air compressor to the primary air tank on the truck and built up pressure by that means instead of running the truck motor excessively without burining it up.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Phew, I was worried! Glad it was the radiator and not the engine or tranny! They are a heavy son-of-a-gun! Mine was in the bed of the truck when I got the 923A2. Thankfully it only required a flush with the garden hose to be right.

halftrack

Just to let you know also, these A2 radiators aren’t laying around at your local radiator shop. I dropped mine off today at lunch and the guy said it was going to be about $175 to boil, fix/repair, and paint mine (I was expecting $500). He said it looked like an odd radiator and when he saw the McCord heat transfer sticker on the side it made sense to him. He said McCord is a Cummins company and does not sell radiators just to sell radiators but only makes them for specific Cummins’ motors and he could not source a replacement for me if I wanted him to. He said there is a lot of proprietary crap that goes along with McCord radiators. I don’t know how true all that is but I know when I searched on the web I was coming up pretty empty handed.

Should be picking it up Wednesday.

halftrack

Did some work yesterday. Got the radiator back from the shop and installed it. Went back with all brand new cad plated grade 8 fine thread bolts. Started her up and it ran like a charm. I couldn't get it warm enough to get the fan running. After 30 minutes of running at idle I could still put my hand on the block without burning it. I didn't want to rev it too much becuse my temp gage was not working. Painted the fan shroud tan just to be different.

Attachments

halftrack

I am having trouble finding the U-joint for the transmission to transfer case shaft. Does this look like a typical manufacturer to anyone. Someone at work said it look like Mack or International. The original Manufacturer (Meritor) said they do not stock this part any longer (don't know if that is true or not because the military still needs them). Any leads would be much appreciated.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The parts manual lists the following:
2520012804129 78500 CP85WB62 .PARTS KIT, UNIVERSAL

You might try Clark, Memphis, CSI, etc... I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, but if you must have it they could probably supply it.

NAPA is always good about crossing parts for me. I'm sure that u-joint was used in commercial trucks too so they may be able to pick it up in their system. Make sure you go to a NAPA Truck Parts store, not just the regular NAPA with some dimwitted teenager manning a computer.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok, the 7606 ujoint is 5 and 1/8th from outside bolt hole to outside bolt hole "across". They are 2.25 apart on the same head. All these are NOT taken with a micrometer. :roll: Overall body is 6 inches.

I have a bigger one that is 8 inches across. NSN 2520005858598

Let me know what other info I forgot to add.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks