• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Another Ahab

What, maybe 15 gallons?

And if you drop the transmission into reverse, doesn't the push water automatically become pull water?

But:

- How do it know!?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried to get the final prep done for start-up but fell a few items short. Will add the fluids tomorrow and some basic wiring and hopefully, this sucker will fire up. Here are some photos.

View-1.jpg View-2.jpg View-3.jpg View-4.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks amazing! Good luck tomorrow. Since the rains coming in I'm guessing it'll be nice in cool in the shop for any work that needs done.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been out of action for a few weeks with a sprained wrenching wrist. I am not good at assembling things with just my left hand. Anyway, got into cleaning my fuel tank which has been sitting for years. Fortunately, I cleaned up the major gunk last year and started the final cleaning yesterday. Bought a tank restoration kit with sealer but decided to tackle the major remaining rust using the electrolosis method. I made two large anodes out of steal rods and insulated them with wooden blocks with the tank being the cathode. Filled the tank with water and washing soda mix and applied a 12V battery trickle charger. I have used this method before on my deuce and WC51 but never a gas tank. Seems to be working great since I have removed a ton of crud off the sacrificial rods so far. Also, started blasting of the front fenders with are the last major item I need to blast. Here are some pictures.

Tank-Cleaning.jpg Rods.jpg Fenders.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over one month since my last update and things are totally out of control. Trying desperately to get the GPW done so I can put her in the town Independence Day Parade along with the WC51. Some life things getting in the way but I hope to have her assembled within the next week. Then it will be stencils and canvas. It will be close. Here are some photos in no particular order. May take two posts.

Dash.jpg Drivers-Seat.jpg Drivers-Fender.jpg Engine-Compartment.jpg Grill.jpg Hood.jpg Tub.jpg Windshield-Frame.jpg

Another Ahab

Here are some photos in no particular order. . View attachment 627848
Oh my God, TWM; it's all so clean, the assembly looks like one of those shots of a NASA satellite assembly or something, your work standards are phenomenal, awe-inspiring!

My favorite shot is the assembly pieces on the bed, I bet that the domestic situation and things between you and Mama get pretty exciting from time-to-time; that right?

Another Ahab

Over one month since my last update and things are totally out of control.

View attachment 627847
Oh my God, TWM; it's all so clean, the assembly looks like one of those shots of a NASA satellite assembly or something, your work standards are phenomenal, awe-inspiring!
Nobody sets the bar hight like you do Tinwoodsman; NOBODY.

The photos you take of the work on your projects always remind me of one of these clean-room shots. You know, everything just perfect:

clean room.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about a week short of 2 years since I started this thread. She is just about buttoned up but I thought I would post some photos of the my GPW when I got here home. I will follow with the finished product photos next. So here goes.......

GPW-As-Delivered.jpg Engine-Compartment.jpg Cleaned-Out-Tub.jpg Bumper-Gussets.jpg Chassis-1.jpg Front-Floor-Pan.jpg Tranny-and-Transfer-Case.jpg Tailgate-Modification.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks