• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Another Ahab

Still trying to get time in on the tub. Did blast and prime a variety of parts yesterday and fitted and installed the new rear panel on the tub. This was necessary since some butt hole cut up the original to make a tailgate. Here are some pictures.

View attachment 611470
That's excellent work, but that's never a surprise from your projects, TWM.

What is the story with your shop floor, around the cabinet saw. I mean it's BRIGHT. I like that!

Some kind of shake in the concrete mix? Epoxy? What did you do there?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's excellent work, but that's never a surprise from your projects, TWM.
What is the story with your shop floor, around the cabinet saw. I mean it's BRIGHT. I like that!
Some kind of shake in the concrete mix? Epoxy? What did you do there?
In case you haven't noticed, TWM is a "Neat Freak". When he gets around me or Zout we have to give him a valium to keep him from going postal.:papabear:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In between major Spring chores for Soldier B (which should be done by next November) I spent some time at night restoring the brass data plates for the GPW. Straightened them up the best I could and cleaned them with Acetone. To get all the remaining finish off I soaked them in straight lemon juice for about 1 hour. Got them clean as a whistle. Masked of the boarder and stamped areas on the ID plate and sprayed them all with black semigloss high temp paint. Then I used a flat piece of metal covered with masking tape to allow me to press down on each area I worked make to sure the plates were absolutely flat. This allowed me to wet sand the letters and separation lines with 1000 grit sandpaper. Basically worked several letters at a time until all the lettering was exposed brass. One final cleaning with hot water and then coated each plate with clear gloss spray. Took about 6 hours total. Here they are!

Plate-1.jpg Plaste-2.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. About 2/3rds done on this project. Unfortunately I have the speed of a Sloth. My last project (1942 Ben Hur Cargo Trailer) is waiting in the wings. Once that is done I become a lurker!!!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished my least favorite part of a restoration which is the body work. Got all the rusted areas repaired with a relatively minimum amount of body work. Weather was perfect today and hopefully will be the same tomorrow so I can get two good coats of O.D. applied. Once that is done I can put the tub back on the chassis. I would like to thank my buddy Zout who gave me countless pointers on the body work process.

GPW-Tub-Primer-1.jpg GPW-Tub-Primer-2.jpg GPW-Tub-Primer-3.jpg GPW-Tub-Primer-4.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some great weather today with light wind so I was able to get O.D. paint on the underside of interior of the tub. Sides and rear will come next. Considering the amount of rust on the floor, transmission hump and fuel tank sump, I am pleased with the result.

Paint-1.jpg Paint-3.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Impressive!! Just frigging outstanding Sir!!:beer:

I don't think you would have had any better results with an MD Juan tub....Plus...you have a REAL jeep!:beer:

Another Ahab

I've been trying to figure out what that "sump" is under the driver's seat.

I thought maybe it was the battery compartment but the dimensions don't seem right, and there's not enough volume to be the fuel tank (is it?):

- What is that area?

jeep.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks