• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchase 4x8 sheets of steel and a friend of mine, who owns the local welding shop, lets me use his brake, shear, plasma cutter and other tools when I have special applications. Sorry but I do not have a photo. The opposing 22 degree bends were the most difficult part. :)

zout

Makes a big difference having the correct tool for the job at hand - makes it look like child's play. Its also a masterful reflection on the outcome of the project as well as looking professional - WHICH IT DOES. Outstanding TWM.
I want a bumper sticker that says "Kent is my HERO - I want to be just like him".

Looks like you really took your time on letting the tacks cool off properly with no warp what so ever as well - another reflection of doing it right the first time.

Another Ahab

I purchase 4x8 sheets of steel and a friend of mine, who owns the local welding shop, lets me use his brake, shear, plasma cutter and other tools when I have special applications. Sorry but I do not have a photo. The opposing 22 degree bends were the most difficult part.
Now THAT is a good friend to have. Sweet.

I'm going to suggest you at least take him some cookies every Christmas (you know: to keep him on your good side)! :beer:

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working on the repairs to the floor, rear floor riser and drivers side and wheel well repairs. Cleaned up the rot and welded patch panels to replace the rotted areas. Still need to do the weld finishing after the tub is blasted. Also need to repair and finish the front floor and install the fuel tank sump. Each repaired area matches the manufacturing drawing in dimensions and material used. Here are some photos:

Floor-Rot.jpg Floor-Rot-2.jpg Floor-Rot-3.jpg Rear-Floor-Riser-Repair.jpg Riser-Repair-2.jpg Side-Panel-Repair.jpg Rear-Wheel-Well-Repair.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Wow.

That always drops out of my mouth when I witness the craft skills of TWM.

Wow.

And I'll tell you what those are sure enough some fancy a** clamps you got there, Brother.

zout

FINALLY some movement once again to sit back and ponder.....How does TWM do that. Two builds to still keep an eyes .....Jim H and yours.

turnkey

you can buy a complete frame on line...from 4x4 club....I think that will work on this one ...But what a build so far...great stuff....So can you help me in rebuilding my riding lawnmower...???

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding it difficult to spend time on the GPW lately. Maybe because it involves repairing some major rust damage to the tub. The items requiring repair included the front and rear floors, rear tool compartments, gas tank sump replacement, drivers side repair of axe and shovel area, upper side panel areas where old 36 Ford cab section was welded, front gusset brackets and other miscellaneous areas. By by far the most difficult area was the transmission tunnel since it required substantial bending in the fabrication.

All these areas are reading for dressing the welds and dollying prior to final sandblasting of the tub, application of the epoxy primer and final body work. Here are some photos:

Floor-and-Fuel-Tank-Sump.jpg Floor-and-Sump.jpg Gusset-Brackets.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Finding it difficult to spend time on the GPW lately. Maybe because it involves repairing some major rust damage to the tub. The items requiring repair included the front and rear floors, rear tool compartments, gas tank sump replacement, drivers side repair of axe and shovel area, upper side panel areas where old 36 Ford cab section was welded, front gusset brackets and other miscellaneous areas.
TWM, Your Super Superiorness, you never cease to amaze and inspire:

- Mere mortals (like most of us reading your threads) would run screaming from the size of the tasks that YOU tackle without even a blink.

You are the Hercules of MV Restoration, and I always bow before your Blinding Magnificence.

:not worthy:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks