• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yoeri, I tried several methods to cover my hood number. On my WC-51 I tried light sanding, gentle media blasting with glass beads and finally paint stirpper. I found the best method to be using a thick paint stripper applied with a brush in a medium coat. I did not try to do the whole side of the hood at one time but in stages. I would apply a coat of the stripper and let it sit for between 30 and 60 seconds and then wipe it off with a wet rag. I kept repeating the process and you have to have patience. On my GPW I was able to uncover my complete number in the original blue drab color. Unfortunately, I do not have an original front bumber and have not had any luck on the rear bumperettes yet.

I suggest you visit and register with G503.com and 1942gpw.com. These sites have a wealth of knowledge but you do have to search. Here is a link to 1942gpw.com and you can see the info they cover: http://www.1942gpw.com/G503_WWII_Ford_Willys_Jeep_Restoring.aspx

Suggestion, if you register and find a information you need now or may need in the future, Bookmark the thread and it will pay dividends in the future.

TWM

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on recovering images on my 1942 GPW. I was successful in uncovering my blue drab hood number and have made attempts on my bumperettes since my front bumper was gone when I purchased the vehicle. I used the same paint stripping method as the hood number but have only been able to recover one image. Does anyone have knowledge as to what this image is and is it military related?

Bumperette.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have been working on recovering images on my 1942 GPW. I was successful in uncovering my blue drab hood number and have made attempts on my bumperettes since my front bumper was gone when I purchased the vehicle. I used the same paint stripping method as the hood number but have only been able to recover one image. Does anyone have knowledge as to what this image is and is it military related?

View attachment 553291
I'm no expert I but don't remember ever seeing a circle like that on a military jeep even in pictures. Perhaps it is some sort civil defense symbol?

zout

That crashed spacecraft that landed in Roswell - the debris some of them folks picked up had signs on it like that - mighta said CRASH HERE or who knows.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watched my back today while painting the frame to make sure aliens did not sneak up on me. Thanks for the warning Zout. Weather broke long enough to paint but I do have to flip it to touch up the frame bottom.

Frame-1.jpgFrame-2.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 553291
These simple geometric shapes were used to identify stateside army command regions. Since your Jeep likely did not go to war, it stands to reason it would have been painted with one of these symbols.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Over a month since I last posted a picture. Progress is S-l-o-w. :-( Cleaned and tested the major electircal components and then restored them to the best condition I could achieve. Now, they go on the shelf to wait for the engine. Time to sandblast the axles if the rain ever stops. Also replaced the ring gear on the flywheel but who what to see a ring gear????

Group.jpg Distributor.jpg Regulator.jpg Starter.jpg Generator.jpg

Last edited:

turnkey

No really the cab makes the Jeep....go thru the drive thru at Mc clowns with and with out the cab you will notice the difference. Nice build car...Or a nice clown car....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Over a month since I last posted a picture. Progress is S-l-o-w. :-( Cleaned and tested the major electircal components and then restored them to the best condition I could achieve. Now, they go on the shelf to wait for the engine. Time to sandblast the axles if the rain ever stops. Also replaced the ring gear on the flywheel but who what to see a ring gear????

View attachment 560615 View attachment 560616 View attachment 560617 View attachment 560618 View attachment 560619
Holy Cow those look nice! I don't suppose you'd like to come over and detail the Goat engine?

turnkey

For off frame stuff...You must have a crew of experts and a nice size piggy bank....If you do this what is the Lady of the house into??/ Great work so far..nice pics.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
TWM, those components look awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks