• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is unbearibly hot today and only fit for the like of supermen like Zout. I will just march on at a turtles pace. Working on the rolling chassis and installed the refinished backing plate and brake hardware. Blasted the rear brake drums and set them in primer. Will apply the finish coat tomorrow. I am amazed at how good the parts are on this 1942 GPW. Full of crud but in serviceable non the less.

Backing-Plate-and-Brakes.jpg Brake-Drums.jpg Axle-and-Drums.jpg

zout

I like that anti-gravity frame. Did the tool come from Acme where Will E Coyote gets his stuff?.

Very impressive TWM. Top grade workman ship. The parts look like they rolled right out of the production line.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished the rear axle brake parts install and packed and installed the rear axle wheel bearings and grease seal. Installed the brake drums, washers and nuts and adjusted. Cleaned and primered the rear axles and flanges and will install them tomorrow. Thankfully, this vehicle has most of the original "F" marked parts. Will finish the rear axle tomorrow and begin on the front.

Wheel-Cylinder.jpg Brake Drum.jpg Axle Flange.jpg

Another Ahab

Finished the rear axle brake parts install and packed and installed the rear axle wheel bearings and grease seal. Installed the brake drums, washers and nuts and adjusted. Cleaned and primered the rear axles and flanges and will install them tomorrow. Thankfully, this vehicle has most of the original "F" marked parts. Will finish the rear axle tomorrow and begin on the front.

View attachment 574900
I never knew about that detail until you mentioned it here in this thread.

That is very cool.

I wonder if anybody else was doing this, or if that is strictly a Ford thing; any idea about that?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was purely a Henry Ford thing and Ford continued to stamp all part manufactured by them with a script letter "F" Eventually, the goverment made Ford stop the practice. They put that letter and virtually everything except washers. Some GPW restorers pay high prices to get the original stamped parts.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent most of the day reading and responding to Zout's texts. Always nice to hear from a Bro! In between I cleaned up the front axle steering knuckle hardware to complete the front axle. Removed all the studs and steering arm dowels for the housing since they were not in the correct positions. Painted the spring/shock plates and the torque reaction spring for the front drivers side. Cleaned and primed the king pin bottom plate and the top steering tie rod arm. Also refurbed the steering knuckle front oil seals for the bell housings. Working hard towards a rolling chassis.

Spring-and-Shock-Plates-and-Torque-Reaction-Spring.jpg Knuckle-Housings.jpg King-Pin-Hardware.jpg Steering-Knuckle-Oil-Seals.jpg Finished--Oil-Seals.jpg

zout

Wish my garage even came close to looking like that. Just no time to clean up with the extreme limited time i have to work on stuff. How i want it and how it is.....is two different worlds. But i am a bulldog and i remember in the cluster mess where something is. Ahhhhhhhh maybe some day.

Outstanding quality TWM.....you know a pat on the back is only two vertebraes away from a kick in the arse ya screw up now.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It cannot be denied, TWM: you always set the golden standard for how it should be done; no kidding. [thumbzup]

What's that up on the wall in the back of the shop, is that a vacuum system or something?

View attachment 575511
In spite of some tinfoil hat types, that is the central dust collector for my wood working shop with is adjacent to the garage shop. All my woodworking tools are plumbed to this central collector with tube gates with I open and close depending upon which tool I am working with.

Thanks for asking.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued work of the front axle knuckle housing and associated parts. Painted some things up and then worked on the engine installing the timing gear and chain, timing cover and oil pan.

Painted Housings.jpg Painted Knuckle Hardware.jpg Timing Chain.jpg GPW Block.jpg Block 2.jpg

zout

Don't go getting yourself sucked up in the tubes cause soldier Bwould hear insurace check ringing in her ear abd a few folks might eventually miss you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks