• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advise asap

54reo

Looks like a decent truck, not too bad a price if it is as described.

We all started somewhere, and this site has helped quite a few of us get that start. Years ago I bought my first multifuel 270 miles from home for a similar price. Mine started, but would not drive very well (I hauled it home on a trailer).

You should be coming home through here, if you need any help or parts/whatever feel free to give me a call. (PM is inbound)

Good luck and welcome to the site! It is a great hobby!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure sounds like she bought herself a Runner, and now she needs to get it home. A rattle can will fix the doors! Some practice, and hope for the best. Memorize the shift pattern, and know that the brake fluid to use is DOT 5 (Silicone Brake fluid), available at NAPA (regular brake fluid will screw things up). Don't push it over 50 MPH/don't be lugging the engine. Problems with fuel are probably the most likely thing. Have at least two sets of fuel filters. A can of starting fluid, just in case.

poppop

I agree with everything rosce said. My advice is test the brakes after a visual inspection for leaks and bad line by making several emergency stops. Get on the petal as hard as you can and do it more than once. Its better to have a failure now than on the road in a bad situation. If the truck has a breakdown that is one thing, but if someone pulls out in front of you and you have a brake failure that is a different ballgame. Forgive the guys as they are really concerned for your safety, just a little crude in their comments. We see a lot of buyers get these trucks with no knowledge of them. Go slow, look for other drivers mistakes so you can take action quickly, and have your mechanic friend right behind you. Check the shift pattern on the dash, it is different than other transmissions in that fourt is down and fifth is up. Good luck and welcome aboard.

mktopside

Banned
I ran into this a lot playing online games... I think who ever made that rule up probably wouldn't recognize a girl if he saw one face to face either.
The rule has a whole lot of validity. While we know that women use the Internet, when it comes to places like this, arfcom, pirate4x4, or other websites men find cool, rarely do they find their ways to such places alone. Sure peoples wives post and things like that......but I'm sure you can count all the single chicks here on one hand.

On that note: In relation to MV's, Rule #34.....and if not Rule #35.

MorbidMiss

It really doesn't. Women have been playing D&D, checking online, working on vehicles and everything else since all of those things existed.

Our rarity is a symptom of lack of encouragement and of having to listen to "OMG THERE"S NO WOMEN HERE!" when ever we happen to show up.

JDToumanian

Man, I'd love to tag along on some of these recoveries..... High Adventure!

If I didn't need the box on the back, my first stop would be the closest place that buys scrap. The truck will drive better without it and your fuel economy will be better.

Jon

mktopside

Banned
It really doesn't. Women have been playing D&D, checking online, working on vehicles and everything else since all of those things existed.

Our rarity is a symptom of lack of encouragement and of having to listen to "OMG THERE"S NO WOMEN HERE!" when ever we happen to show up.
I think the numbers speak for themselves. Hey trust me, the more women who are into MVs, guns, and manly stuff the better. But the psychological draw to such things isn't the same for women as it is for men.

I could probably go on and on about this, but it wouldnt make the OP feel welcome and that would be very rude on my part.

OP, welcome to SS. Have a safe recovery, and if you use common sense and good judgement you'll be fine.

RAYZER

My statefarm agent requires a commercial policy due to the weight of the truck,before I actually bought the commercial policy I asked about the 30 day grace and they said no dice.:grd:

bill2444

My advice would be to.... map out your return route and post it. I always see that the members on here go above and beyond to help out other members when it comes to road trips and repairs. I was reading a thread about a member driving to alaska and it was great to see all the commarade with reguards to the amount of support eveyone offered. The fact that your a woman might complicate things a little. But all in all recovering a duece will be an experience that you will never forget.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My statefarm agent requires a commercial policy due to the weight of the truck,before I actually bought the commercial policy I asked about the 30 day grace and they said no dice.:grd:
I would guess it varies state to state like everything else . Every state has different insurance rules just like tags .

treessw

OK, to everyone who posted, I really lost it on page 7 rofl. As far as insurance I got mine thru Allstate, but it is under our business and commercial policy, very easy[thumbzup]. This is scary to read yet I couldn't stop, when I rolled over the post originally I to thought it was a joke and kept going. Now I am hooked. I agree with all the serious posts on pre trip inspection, parts and a traveling mechanic. I also agree with the popcorn, jergens and all the other non sense. On a serious note, if you are traveling thru the TN area, PM me if you need help, or you get tired and want to sell it. Dont worry gimp, I am not trying to slide into your place.

Please be careful and don't hesitate to ask for help or questions. This really is a great bunch of guys and girls that really would do anything to help a fellow member

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am going under the assumption that this is indeed a legit thread.

My first thought was that with her being a young female there was a disaster in the making.

Then I remembered a young female soldier I had in my section when I was at Fort Benning.

We had everything in the Motor Pool from CUCV's to Bulldozers and heavy lift cranes.

Most of the young female drivers wanted to drive the CUCV's since they had automatics and power steering.

This particular young soldier asked to be assigned a deuce.

Since I was also the Drivers Trainer/License Examiner it fell to me to give her the training and to road test her to see if she could handle a deuce.

She already had a military drivers license from AIT that said she could drive everything up to the 900 series 5 tons. Knowing how sometimes things get pencil whipped I was skeptical since I had to sign off on her DA Form 348 and her Military Drivers License.

She was about five feet tall and weighed about 110 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her pockets. We had to put blocks on the brake and clutch pedals so she could operate the vehicle.

I took her out to road test and the first thing she did was drop the deuce into Low Range......she the proceeded to double clutch and split shift better than most of the male drivers in the section.

She passed the test with flying colors.

I asked her where she learned to drive a truck like that and she told me she was from Iowa and had been raised on a farm....she had been driving grain trucks since she was old enough to look out the windshield.

She was also mean as a striped snake as any poor young soldier found out if he messed with her....seems she had several older brothers and had to fight like a guy to keep up.

Looks can be deceiving.....so can posts.

If this is the real deal I wish the best for her....she has already got some good advice.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks WM, it's just that Carnac went mental recently and I can't shake off the suspicion that he's up to no good.

Did you read his post in this thread? He neither confirmed or denied his authorship.

I'm ordering more popcorn...

Rick

asgtoolman

Man, I'd love to tag along on some of these recoveries..... High Adventure!

If I didn't need the box on the back, my first stop would be the closest place that buys scrap. The truck will drive better without it and your fuel economy will be better.

Jon
AMEN to dumping the box and hopefull getting some $$$$$ for it and saving some $$$$$$$ in fuel costs

steelandcanvas

I smell a rat here, especially after Carnac and his tank post. However, if there is an once of truth to this, Godspeed to you my Lady, my prayers will certainly be with you on your recovery.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other tip thing that I keep forgetting to mention - Don't ever trust the fuel gauge, especially on the bottom half. And sometimes, 2" in the bottom, can still mean your out of fuel! Consumption can vary, and on a long trip/strange truck, keep her full, maybe use some conditioner (I like Power Service - it has anti-gel capabilities). Dipping the tank with a little stick will help you calibrate the gauge.... But don't trust the last quarter!

akguy

So let's see some pic's from tomorrow's pickup!!!!!! We love pic's here. If my wife see's some of a woman driving a deuce, my life will become ........better!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks