• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 12 V mod for my Deuce & other stuff

Lax

This past summer/fall I made some great mods for my Deuce that some my find interesting. I have attached some photos for your viewing pleasure. The photos show the addition of a new 12V 60 amp alternator, heavy duty electrical cable, new 12V battery, my mounting procedures, along with some of the fun 12V accessories I added. Next I hope to add two (2) 12V wiper motors. Since I added an excellent cold weather starting kit last winter I am almost all set. Now I have to leaner and decide how to flip my hubs. I don't have much heavy machinery or tools for a big job like that but I would love to do it if I can. Big shout out to George Muzek for all his help with the 12V system bracket and coaching!

The fun stuff I added are a complete intercom system. It is GREAT to be able to talk in a normal voice and hear and be heard. Plus I added a music jack so I can listen to my phone AND iPod through the headset. The siren has all the sounds (for parades and working with a local fire department) plus a nice PA system that I was able to somewhat hide the speaker for that looks really good. Underneath the siren control I mounted a three place 12V plug for phones, iPods, chargers, etc.

I am very happy with the system so far. Enjoy.

Attachments

Lax

I know. I need to put my spare there but I hate messing with any split rims. I know I shouldn't but they still scare the **** out of me. I'm hoping to flip my hubs, single it out and put new XLs on all the corners and be done with it. At least that is the plan...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! Nice touch with the garden hose for a cable protector; I usually use large-diameter fuel line, but the garden hose is cheaper and just as effective! Good job!

Lax

Thank you. I use garden hose to shield my hydraulic hoses that rub on my tractor too. They last for a long time and when they do wear through I just replace with more garden hose, a few zip ties and I'm back in business. Works well for me.

Last edited:

Lax

Gosh darn it Jonathan you're right! I forgot to take a photo of the fuse box! I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow morning for you. It's a pretty simple design and the actual fuse box was a generic one from AutoZone.

Here in Upstate New York it is 4 degrees right now and I'm thinking it should be about zero tomorrow morning so I was going to go out and test my new cold weather starting set up any way. Should be a good test I believe. Stand by for photo. Thanks.

steelandcanvas

Gosh darn it Jonathan you're right! I forgot to take a photo of the fuse box! I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow morning for you. It's a pretty simple design and the actual fuse box was a generic one from AutoZone.
Here in Upstate New York it is 4 degrees right now and I'm thinking it should be about zero tomorrow morning so I was going to go out and test my new cold weather starting set up any way. Should be a good test I believe. Stand by for photo. Thanks.
Don't freeze your fanny off for a photo, we can wait 'til the weather's better!

Lax

RavageRitual,
Thank you very much. I'm glad to help. I have learned a great deal from this forum with the help of some wonderful people. I hope to be able to help others any chance I can. I have attached a few photos of the fuse box if that helps.

I mounted it fairly well protected under the glove box were it well be out of all but the highest water and where no one can kick it while sitting in the co-driver seat. I have a couple empty fuse slots left. I plan to use one for some 12V wiper motors this winter or spring. Hope this helps. Take care.

Oh, and to the side of the fuse box is the fording kit I made to pressurize all my axles for deep water work.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Lax

Yolner,
No problem. Here is what I used. First I contacted
George Muzek who is/was a Steel Soldier member who was selling the 12 alternator brackets. I just did a quick search and I can't find a PM from him but I do have his mobile number and e-mail address if you need it. I will not post it here because he may not want the whole world to know it. George was a great help. Once I got the bracket I bought the parts listed below then the rest was just finding the time to do it. I think my photos give some good ideas to run the electric cable safely through all the sharp metal so the cables do not get cut or worn through. Let me know what else I can help you with any time.

One of the two belts running to the current alt will have to be removed and replaced with one (1) 12V belt. The part number for the new 12V belt you need is 84550 or 6855. The 12 volt
alt is a 63 amp (not 60. sorry) Delco. Alt part number 7127-SE for single wire or 7127-12 for a regular one (three wire). I used a three (3) wire alt and just bought a little connector at AutoZone for a couple bucks to make it a one wire alt. The alts can be purchased from almost any parts store or parts yard used. I bought mine from AutoZone for not much. Same with the belt although I had to do some cross checking and guess-timating. If you have any problems let me know and I will find the exact belt I bought. I kept the box it came in so I would always know.. At AutoZone I bought the heaviest electric cable I could find and some electric connector ends and made my own power cable with crimped ends and shrink wrapped at both ends.

A word of caution to save you lots of frustration. AutoZone (and all the others) can get all the parts you need but working with them is very much like the Abbot and Castillo Who's On First skit. They will want to know what vehicle everything is going on. You, of course, knowing that your "vehicle" is NOT going to be listed on their fancy computers will try to polity explain it is for a project you are working on so as not to embarrass or confuse Skippy behind the counter. He will protest and demand to know what vehicle it is going on. You may try a few more times but ultimately you will give in because you are loosing your patience and say "19-- AM General Deuce and a Half" at which time he will look at you like you have three heads or he will keep right on going and ask if that has air conditioning and is it a 4 cylinder of V8..... Save yourself the pain and time and just come right and tell him or don't tell him and ask for the part numbers I gave you and keep right on going. Let me know how you do.

Having all the 12V availability makes the Deuce so much more user friendly now. I'm glad I did it. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks