• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here and have a couple questions

Rapracing

You lost me. [RD] Procedures: You should have the tank removed with the lacquer thinner doing its thing. Then you'll dump this into a bucket and rinse out the tank with a garden hose. You then rinse with muriatic acid to dissolve rust if needed. If the lacquer thinner and acid hasn't done you in yet, you can then rinse out the tank with acetone to help remove any water residue.

John

John

I have the tank off with everything removed. I had the lacquer thinner in for well over an hour. I had sloshed it around many times during that time. I have since dumped it out. The tank still has what I would call minor rust (no scaling). I am just wondering if I should do anything else to it or put it back on. I guess I need to do the acid now?

Jimc

That can be true jim. Most tank lining kits come with phosphoric which is not as strong. The muriatic works much better but it also neutralizes after awhile. After about an hour it will completely stop working. It basically loses its effectiveness and wont even etch the metal anymore. Been using it for years with great results in custom and oem tanks. What i dont like is the chlorine gas given off by muriatic. its nasty and i hate messin with it. With that said i will look into the products you mentioned. Always up for something new.

Jimc

If you dont have a ton of loose rust then you can just use it as is or if you want it super clean then acid it. Your choice

johnray13

I have also used Naval Jelly (about a pint) mixed with water and left saoking in the rusty tank and left over night. It was white metal in the next day-except for a rusty ring of the last inch of the filler neck where I didn't fill it to the tippy top. So make sure you fill it to the tippy, tippy top.

Triple Jim

I think the Evapo-Rust rust remover is phosphoric acid based too. You can get it by the gallon in liquid form, so it might be easier to use than the thicker products that are made to brush on.

storeman

You might also try a product called OSPHO. Sold by the gallon, about $20. It is all that is used in this region by saltwater fishermen. Converts rust so it can be painted/sealed.:-D
Jerry

Triple Jim

Last edited:

Rapracing

I ordered some filters from amazon,

2- CH6PL Oil. Will the gaskets with these work?

4- C1125PL Fuel filters. It says they are secondary filters.
From what I see they are used in both canisters? Also, I am a bit confused. It says in WIKI that the gaskets are correct but I read another thread that said to get some from Wallyworld or TSC. Will they work?

1- CAK253 Air

All for $67.44 w/ free shipping

One more question. It has a strainer in it. I haven't found that yet. Do I need to/should I replace it?

Last edited:

Isaac-1

I think you have it the wrong way around, there should be 1 fuel water separator, then 2 fuel filters, plus 1 oil filter. The air filter will likely last for the life of the unit, they are oversized designed for extreme dust conditions, etc.

Ike

Rapracing

I think you have it the wrong way around, there should be 1 fuel water separator, then 2 fuel filters, plus 1 oil filter. The air filter will likely last for the life of the unit, they are oversized designed for extreme dust conditions, etc.

Ike
I ordered 2 oil so I have a spare. I plan to run it a little bit and then change it again.

4 Fuel so I have a spare set.

1 air. The one that is in it looks real good so I probably will just hold onto it for a spare.

I did not find a new strainer yet. I am not sure if I should replace it or not???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks