• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New post button to include classified ads, vote now.

Should the classifieds posts roll into the new post button searches?

• Yes

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeepster

I say keep them separate. Having the classifieds pop up on new posts is like having pop up ads on the site. We will all be seeing stuff we don't want to and it will lead to many, many classifieds that need to be edited because people will be posting off topic posts constantly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone please show me where this new post button is located? Seriously don't know what/where it is.

3dAngus

It's at the top page with all the other buttons. You have to be logged on as a mere mortal in order to see it.
It lies between "resources" and "search"

If you meant the "show new ads" button, it lies between "Classified ads" and "Resources", but only when you are logged on.

They cannot work without a logon name to tally a database against to see what is new for you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

storeman

I agree with Atwater but I haven't figured out how to vote.2cents
so long as the posts stay labeled as being from the appropriate forum i dont see a problem2cents

shenkmen

How about the classified ads show in the current posts as per the orginal post date of the ad and when the first post is updated?

This would stop the ad from pushing to the top of the posts when folks other than the OP comment ("Hey, nice truck", "how much for 8 of them", etc...).

The ad would push to the top if the ad owner updates the ad/first post (price change, qty available, etc...).

I've never worked on this platform so I'm unaware of the limitations/effort required but think the above would work well.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think puting the new classified posts in the the regular forms will only add to the problem of people posting their For Sale / Want Ads in the forums . There is already a problem with that and will just make it harder for the mods to keep ads out of the forums .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the only site that I've worked on or even been a member of that has the classifieds splintered from the rest of the site. Even with 4 times the member base, and waaay more posts. Having the new posts button lump everything together has worked without issues. The new posts results tells you on the right column where the thread is located so you can see if it's something that interests you.

It's the entire reason I started this poll. I can't get a straight answer and make everyone happy. Place it to a vote and let the majority rule.

unaffiliated

OK, I am gonna chime in with my 2 cents. I mainly look at the CUCV forum because that's what I have. Recently I felt like I should at least check out some of the other categories to see what else the site has to offer. I have been using the New Post button and have found lots of interesting topics that I would have otherwise missed. The small number of classifieds compared to the astronomical number of other posts makes this a non issue in my opinion. I say put them in the New Posts.

greenjeepster

I think that many people are misunderstanding the question here.

When I enter the site I do one of two things.
#1 I click user CP to see who responded to threads I am subscribed to.
#2 I click New Posts to see the currently active post that I have not yet read or subscribed to.

If I am understanding the question correctly the poll is asking if the Classified threads should show up when I click on the New Post button?

I again say no... If I want to buy something I will go to the Classified section. If I want to read what everybody is talking about I will click on New Posts.

Can paid members have two votes?

unaffiliated

I again say no... If I want to buy something I will go to the Classified section. If I want to read what everybody is talking about I will click on New Posts.

I again say put them in. Recently I just happened to look at the classifieds to check out the new set up. I didn't want to buy anything, because I have no money, I was just looking. I did stumble across the coolest little heaters that a certain member makes out of ammo cans. I would never have known that they even existed or that I wanted to buy one had I not decided to browse the classified. I would most likely have seen them if they were in the New Post section. I have GOT to have one of these and I WILL buy one when I have some extra money if that happens before I die.

This next comment will probably get deleted or get me banned but here goes. Only democrats and illegals get more than one vote!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that many people are misunderstanding the question here.

If I am understanding the question correctly the poll is asking if the Classified threads should show up when I click on the New Post button?
I'm not sure how much clearer I can state it in the first post of the thread? That's how I stated it as there as well.

No. One vote. Majority rules. That's the fairest way of addressing it. I could just as easily say "nope, going to do it this way" and be done with it. But I wanted to allow everyone their say.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How long have we had a new post button? I swear it wasn't there this AM
Kenny, it has been there since the big crash, when this site came up, at least as I remember it, I'm like a rock, so my memory may be a bit faulty, yep what he said

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kenny, it has been there since the big crash, when this site came up, at least as I remember it, I'm like a rock, so my memory may be a bit faulty, yep what he said
I heard you remembered when rocks were new. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.