• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New restoration project M100 "Tubby" 9.6.14

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tubbie is very happy :). Slow and steady says the tortoise. Looking totally Sweeeeettttttt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I remember when Colemans had M416 trailers stacked and rowed. $350 got you your choice. Wish I had snatched up a few in case I need a boat.

zout

got the back plate welded in - have some patches to make due to the heavy rusted out areas back there then do some clean up.DSCN0675.jpgDSCN0676.jpgDSCN0677.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some good looking Welds Commander Zout! Thanks for fixing my tub, now we will make a hot tub for your sisters :)

zout

Had some issues I could not work on it last night but jumped on it when I got home tonight.
I removed the rear handles as it was nearly total rust under them and dented to crap. Got patch sections in level with the body and lightly filled in the areas not pleaseable to me. I will fab the 90 degree handle tabs back there and re-weld them on when done.

I have a couple small areas of the floor to repair along with the LF drain cap - hopefully Sat is blasting day to drag it out at sunrise and clean it up for epoxy primer along with that chassis saver stuff I have been using lately. We'll see how Murphy plays along with the wishful thinking of what I want to get done and what the end really brings.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay sandblast morning, a chilly 62 in Atlanta this am.

As commander Zout stated you don't want to blast off the paint that is sticking. This is 60 year old red oxide primer that if it lasted this long it will last another 100 years

Zout is hiding bed repairs making me drive down to see what is going on. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224480.734031.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224504.448576.jpg

Wheelie trailer

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224533.348677.jpg

Need new grommets

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224557.932084.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411224573.549922.jpg

There is always a star :)

zout

Figured I would get that rear tube when I went over to Homey for my aquaponics pvc piping I need - got it all blasted up this morning along with the underside of flaking.

.The rear tube and metal flat plate that is there - the plate will get heated and rolled over the tubing just like it should be and tacked in. The rear corner handles were fubared and hacked in - I already told Swiss how I would try to get these
back as original as I could.

The entire trailer will get sprayed in the chassis coating. The area's he wants in whatever color he wishes will be papered off and sprayed.

Should be a lot closer by the end of this week - so hang in there if your watching the thread for MAGIC to happen.

DID I MENTION - GO TO THE MV POLL OF THE MONTH AND VOTE FOR MY M909 - GRACIOUS - THANK YOU I APPREICIATE IT AS I WAS NOMINATED.
sure cannot wait till I nominate the K-18 if them slackers would get that engine in and running :grd::grd:

zout

figured I had better update a tad bit here.
Sat got the tubby blasted - almost finished up on the rear panel getting that in place.

Have the chassis black and now solution to clean my sprayguns afterwards :).

Here are a few pics of tonight - try to catch a little sunlight to work on that other projectDSCN0678.jpgDSCN0679.jpgDSCN0680.jpgDSCN0681.jpgDSCN0682.jpgDSCN0683.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing like the insides of Commander Zouts garage, Magic happens in that mysterious place!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that one have the spring loaded drain in the back corner , mine was destroyed and never could find one

There are supposed to be drains in both front and back corners. Yes I had remnants of the drains. These areas are cut out and then where replaced with new steel. Will cut holes in for new drains after Zout takes Tubbie down the River for a water test.

zout

I have not cut out that front drain yet - stuff needed to be killed (rust o la) and then open that drain up and see what I can do with it - I thought about one of them boat rubber plugs that some folks use on freeze plugs as well - HEY its sorta a boat anyhow ??
The Count is getting the rubber rope tie down hooks so I can get them onto the rear panel like it should be (or close to it) and I cannot believe he is letting me hack this trailer up so bad - figured it would have come and taken it away from me by now - he must not be as smart as I think he is :shrugs:.

Got the chassis saver on it top and bottom side. Will attack whatever rust remains as far as holes then just spot coat it. Trailer sure would look PRETTY in BLUE.DSCN0684.jpgDSCN0685.jpgDSCN0686.jpgDSCN0687.jpgDSCN0688.jpg or wood grain.

zout

Ok - figured out what type of drain I wanted in that LF corner of the box floor.
This is a bathtub push pop up drain - very cool.

After trimming the hole and making my own recessed cup - this will get installed at the bottom of the cup so when it is in drain mode (pop up at highest point) it will not come above the bed floor.
All Swiss has to do with his beaky tiny fingers is just insert one and lightly push down to either drain or reseal it again - RIVER RAFTING QUALITY the package said on the back.

The big threaded end will magically disappear and the epoxy will get used to seat the drain in the cup.
DSCN0689.jpgDSCN0690.jpgDSCN0691.jpg

Whiterabbit

I always liked ACE Hardware, it's where I get alot of my SS bolts.
Don't make that 416 trailer look too nice, everyone will want one and I'm still looking to get one! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks