• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Young Member and have many questions

bigtard10

I am new to the military vehicle world and I'm not entirely sure what kind should I go with. I have looked on govplanet.com and found some good looking 5 tons for auction. Should I get a 5 ton or a deuce?
I live in Phx, AZ and the closest place I see them for sale is in Cali. any other places closer with 5 tons or deuces for auction?

*sorry if there is already thread on this

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a personal preference , but I agree to check with local laws first . And depends on what your using either for

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

Some good advise I received, and pass on to folks like yourself is to spend time behind the wheel of both deuces and 5 tons. Hopefully you can build relations with MV owners in your area to coordinate meetings where you can put in some hands on time!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you like power steering and automatic you are going to pay out the rear for an A3. 5 tons aren't to bad on prices and it is nice being able to peer down into a deuce or even a semi! Parts are easier to locate for the 5 tons as well in my opinion. You can find some up in Ogden, UT on the auctions, I saw a few a week or so ago.

bigtard10

CDL in Arizona?

If i have historic plates on a 5 ton do i need a CDL in Arizona? if i don't then thats fantastic cause i am only 17 and i need to be 18 to get a CDL.

gungearz

If i have historic plates on a 5 ton do i need a CDL in Arizona? if i don't then thats fantastic cause i am only 17 and i need to be 18 to get a CDL.
My guess (being a cdl holder) would be no but because of your age, your driver's license definitely has a weight restriction on it (check in the rules of the road book in D license restrictions in your state). Most states can get around it by converting your truck into an RV by adding the rv requirements of that state to be registered in...

BTW, welcome to steel soldiers...

bigtard10

My guess (being a cdl holder) would be no but because of your age, your driver's license definitely has a weight restriction on it (check in the rules of the road book in D license restrictions in your state). Most states can get around it by converting your truck into an RV by adding the rv requirements of that state to be registered in...

BTW, welcome to steel soldiers...
Thanks! also, what are the RV requirements?

bigtard10

What to expect with a 5 ton.

When I do buy a 5 ton, what things should I expect when owning one? anything different if i use it as a daily driver? I just need info so I can convince my dad about letting me get one. thanks!

gungearz

Thanks! also, what are the RV requirements?
You would have to check with the plating department for that info.. or call the dmv for all and any information to have the definite answer. Taking advice off a website (such as this) may stare you in the wrong direction... best thing to be sure is to talk to the folks we all try to avoid...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a Big truck, you will need a large parking spot that won't offend the neighbors, large tools to work on it, large wallet to fill the large fuel tank if you drive it daily.
Good job to pay for the insurance and hope you don't need any large expensive parts. Your '77 Blazer will seem to be an economy car compared to a M939. However, if all goes well you'll have fun.
Good luck, and welcome to the site.
JC

Last edited:

74M35A2

Having owned both (M35A2 and M925A2):

M35 "+": Can burn 100% waste motor oil, removing the fuel cost of the hobby. WildChild467 drives his as his daily driver all summer long, with $0 spent in fuel. Is more of a reasonable size to park in your yard and in public. Has 5 speed manual trans, so it really feels like a truck. These trucks don't get stuck very easily, check some YouTube videos of what they can drag themselves out of, un-assisted. That is what made me buy one to begin with. Engine sound is fabulous with an earlier generation "C" "Whistler" turbo.

M35 "-": Has manual steering, can add on power steering for $2000 or less to alleviate this. Top speed is limited to 50-55mph, unless you add a higher 5th gear in the trans and/or taller tires, which is not cheap to do, and may require a small boost in engine power to reach and maintain top speed. Vehicle is loud at higher RPM, no factory muffler and exhaust pipe exit is in front of cab windshield (looks cool, but loud).

==============================

5T "+": Physical size. Gets a lot of attention at 10' tall and 48" tall tires (if singles). 4mpg if 855 powered, and 10mpg if 8.3 powered. 900 series have power steering and auto trans, making it "easier" to drive. Later ones have auto tire inflation (CTIS), this is fabulous, if working. Checks and fills tires at every engine start, automatically. Factory top speed is about 67mph (8.3 equipped, unsure of 855), so can be driven on freeways and 2 lane roads without making 100 people mad behind you.

5T "-": Physical size. More difficult to park at home and away. Can be done, but need to really be paying attention or park far away in parking lots. Weight of 20,000lbs or so. If you are going off-road, I would recommend to get one with a winch, as this is a lot of vehicle to get stuck and retrieve if need be, would likely take a piece of construction equipment to be brought in to do so, unless another 5T is close by. Even then, sometimes it doesn't work though.

As advised, check license plate fees and insurance for such in your area. These vehicles are large, heavy, and somewhat unique. M35A2 is maybe 12,000lbs. Insurance can be a little tricky, especially if you have any points on your driving record. Sometimes these are classified as commercial vehicles, and sometimes not, state by state dependent. Again, check your local DMV before you bring green metal home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will also need a strong back. There is nothing light on the truck except maybe the seat cushions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks