• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Young Member and have many questions

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty much what he said.

Parking is fun. Especially when someone decides to help you out.
WP_20150827_001.jpg
(I shoulda just taken 4 spaces, but was trying to be nice.)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every mile you go down the road costs you 50 cents in fuel. Quick run to the store? Five bucks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are 17, I would start with a CUCV, probably a M1009 Blazer. Makes ownership so much easier.

Unless you have deep pockets, the cost of buying parts for a 5 ton can be out of reach. What would you do if you had to buy a $350 used tire (or 6 of them)?

While I am not trying to discourage you from MV ownership, just take small steps and then move up.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a addict I say go for it you will have so much fun you won't care you have to work two jobs to keep her happy.

therooster2001

I'd expect to read a lot. The best part of these trucks is how well they are documented. The TM's are FULL of detail, and while a bit misleading sometimes, tell you exactly how to turn a screw and how to troubleshoot a malfunctioning electrical component. I am an IT guy, not a motor pool mechanic, and I have changed tires, troubleshot CTIS, air systems, and engine issues like a pro (well maybe a bit slower).

Prepare girlfriend for no more dates. All money will probably be spent on the MV. Some lucky few have their significant other work on it with them. Hold onto that one.

You say you have to convince Dad, trick him into buying one as well, then it's a family hobby.

Daily driver? Better be a good, quick mechanic, and have a good parts place and access to spares. The PM for these trucks are not insignificant, have the time, patience and dedication to do it right. PM's are not cheap. Oils changes are not a $20 Grease Monkey effort. They are quick, but I'd figure $100 for an oil change. And that's just the oil change, recommended I think every 3 months if you follow the TM's, flushing the coolant, changing fuel filters, etc. I think some people find a good balance of the use of their MV's and the PM's, but a maintained truck is going to be more reliable. They are 25+ year old trucks, and will have some issues, be ready for it. I think anyone who has changed the steering knuckle will advise this is not a quick fix they could have done to their daily driver. Nothing more satisfying that fixing something yourself on this machine. Just swapping out a spare is an exhausting but fulfilling journey. Registrations, insurance, fuel, and parts (even fun upgrades) could easily spiral beyond your budget. Even the tools to work on the truck are different, and while you can get a lot from Craigslist or Harbor Freight, they all add up.

Psyched to see younger folks getting into the hobby. Read a bunch, go see one, volunteer on a recovery, go help another member with an oil change or a part fix, and try it imagine how you would have dealt with it financially and the down time you would have incurred trying to get to your job.

Go for it though. They are more fun than it seems and as long as you maintain it, you could sell it for similar money. Advice? I'd stick with a 2 door speck for the daily driver and have the beast for weekend excursions if you could swing it.

Plugugly

I've owned mine for a year, and drive it when I want. I would not want have it be my only vehicle. If you're not familiar with driving a class A CDL vehicle, it's going to be a steep learning curve of how little other drivers respect something that can squish them. Parking, turning around, carrying passengers, getting drive through, all suck in a 5 ton.

Little kids love it and chicks dig it. And that's coming with someone with over 20 years riding in firetrucks.

71DeuceAK

Ha! I'm literally in the exact same position as you. (Age, etc.) I have a slight possibility of a potential Deuce acquisition next June, though. And yes, it would likely be a commuter car. Some people think it's really cool, everyone else thinks it's completely ridiculous. Regardless, the best part about MV ownership (Or potential ownership that is!) is being laughed at.

I'd also like to end up with a M939 series 5-ton myself (M923A1, M923A2, M925A1, etc.) but we'll see. Expenses, insurance, and space can all be issues for sure. Same with a Deuce. The one I might end up with is a '71 or '72 and is apparently in decent shape and would be pretty much dumped on me so in theory my up-front costs would be relatively low, less than the averaged used car! Story of that one is in the 'Requirements for New Members' board in "Newbie/POSSIBLE '71 Deuce Owner, from Alaska/California".

But I'd say go for it! Daily driver/commuter car and all. You'll get laughed at but that's the fun part!

NovacaineFix

I am new to the military vehicle world and I'm not entirely sure what kind should I go with. I have looked on govplanet.com and found some good looking 5 tons for auction. Should I get a 5 ton or a deuce?
I live in Phx, AZ and the closest place I see them for sale is in Cali. any other places closer with 5 tons or deuces for auction?

*sorry if there is already thread on this
Being the new owner of a 5 ton, I can say what these guys say is true, though I think I got lucky, well so far anyway.
I mean lucky that my engine didn't run when purchased, but was easy to fix, now running, it wasn't butchered for parts, and it is relatively clean for the age a '70.

Never have owned a Deuce, I can't elaborate on them, but I have a 1009 (Blazer) and love it, it is also my daily work horse. The 5-ton is a M818, basically a tractor truck with no trailer.
I would take these guys' advice as the purchase price is just the beginning. Everything is more expensive to maintain a 5-ton, from your basic oil change, to tires and general operating costs.
It's like a boat on land. You know what BOAT stands for? Bust Out Another Thousand.

I'm not trying to tell you not to get one as they are a lot of fun to drive, but they can be very cost prohibitive. Oil change, $150, tires $350+ each (for me x10), batteries $150 each x4, brake job at a shop ($600 est) yourself ($250) and it goes on. Not to mention the 4 MPG.

If you get one, get one that will fit your budget and is easy to work on to save you some $$ in the long run. More complicated means more potential problems which equals more money, in this case simple is good and can be cheap.

Good Luck in your choice.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Like everyone else has said (And I'm also the same age as you and in the same position)...lots of work to maintain but should be totally worth it! Insurance, parking, etc. could be issues. If you live in a neighborhood with a Homeowners' Association they might have issues with it being parked in the driveway though..."It's an eyesore!". In that case you may need a storage lot, and that costs too. So make sure you work multiple jobs LOL. If you get a M939 series 5 ton, you'll have an automatic transmission, which should make it "Easier" to drive. And I can sympathize that not everyone knows how to drive a stick-shift. In fact, I've never driven a car or any highway vehicle at all, but I'm working on that. But turning, etc. will be harder than with a little car...as will be pulling in/out of parking lots. And it might not quite fit in drive-thrus or parking garages, so be ready for that. What's your commute like? If it's mostly freeway/interstate/highway driving it won't be so bad, but if it's stop-and-go rush-hour downtown driving, it will be harder. My potential commute while in college, in Fairbanks, AK, will hopefully consist of all 2-lane highway and a little bit of freeway, so with a potential Deuce acquisition coming up this summer it might actually not be too miserable other than for the bouncy ride, noise, etc. But learn to love the right-hand slow truck lane, even with a M939 series 5 ton!

So check on: (And by no means is this a comprehensive list, just the things I can think off offhand:)

Insurance...$$$
Neighbors/HOA
Parking (It won't fit in a regular house car type garage)...could be $$$ if you need a storage lot
Parents/ other family members...get them in the hobby if you can!
Parts...$$$
Free time (Not spent in school, working a job, other family obligations, etc.)
Commute situation/parking at school/work.
If it's a commuter car, keep in mind at best you'll get like 12 MPG...quick run to WalMart for a gallon of milk? There's like $3 right there!

Keep us posted how this goes! I'd like to know, being in the same position. Here's my (Similar sounding) story: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Future-71-Deuce-Owner-from-Alaska-California

71DeuceAK

"Bust Out Another Thousand"

I can relate to that, being around boats a lot myself. "A boat is a hole in the water, which you're constantly trying to fill with money". Breakdowns, maintenance, etc.

But good luck! Go for it, just be cautious of what you're getting into.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd consider a 5ton for a daily driver if work was a large parking lot less than 10 miles away and driven by back roads at a comfortable 45mph and ambient temp of 70 degrees.

In Phoenix, with traffic conditions that I've seen there, 115 degrees with sun pounding down on you, and engine heat washing out at you, I wouldn't consider it. I've driven 939series 5ton trucks through Phoenix....

If you have an HOA, plan to park the truck at a storage place. Even if the HOA rules don't look like they prohibit the MV, they'll find a way to interpret the rules so that they do. Count on it.

A 5ton truck as an only vehicle isn't really a viable option. Think of it as a toy, or an RV, but not as a sole means of transportation.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you don't need the CDL, you most certainly do need the knowledge that would be required to get one.

These are big heavy airbrake vehicles that behave very differently than a passenger car or light truck. You really really need to understand how to operate it competently, whether or not you are required to obtain a CDL.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the time you figure all of your expenses, it's going to cost about $1 a mile to operate a M939 series 5 ton. You will get 6~7 mpg if you're lucky. Wear items will eat you up and if you have pay someone to work on it you will need a large limit on your credit card.

If you have enough $ and are determined, they can be a daily driver. But I can think of better things to do with that money and just enjoy driving my big trucks on the weekend or for special events.

The HUlk

In June we bought a 1981, M931A1, 5-ton, NHC 250, 1400 original miles, 2010 military rebuild with new motor and ABS. Frame was extended with two deuce beds fabricated into one big cargo bed 8 MRAP bucket seats in the back.

I never drove a MV before, drove air brakes to get a class B CDL in the past but no air brake hours. My wife has driven it with relative ease. Women have come up and told us they drove them while serving this great nation. So not a bear to drive, but not realistic as a daily driver unless you don't get out much, if at all.

It's nice that you can sit under it, or climb into it for service work. I had to service my air system and work a few kinks out of it from lack of regular use. Doing that kind of work isn't too bad, but I feel it after working on a jurassic vehicle. I don't own a jack that is worthy and really wouldn't want to. I'll have to pay a premium when I need to put on new tires and what not to have someone else do it and do it right. For someone who could do everything themselves the cost to own is reduced, you pay with tired arms and time.

I've put almost 2000 miles on it and it just works. I'd drive it 500 miles without concern to give you a sense of how reliable I think it is. If you do get one, make sure you don't forget your not in a car. Respect it and use extreme caution at all times when near others. This things will drive through a building and beg for more destroying everything in their path. They're no joke and could do serious harm in what would be a "fender bender" in today's cars. Braking is much different, Grades are dangerous, Forward and brake traction is not what it should be on pavement when not loaded with weight, 2400+ RPM will blow the motor, keeping a safe distance ahead of you and other traffic, you must bring it to a complete stop when shifting between reverse and forward gears, turn signals don't auto shutoff, bleed the air system frequently, etc. Lots to learn with these but it just takes some reading, carefulness while gaining experience, and $. This forum and available documentation played a big role in our decision to purchase 10 tons of green metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks