• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Young Member and have many questions

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure my XM813 costs about $1.00/mile to drive, at 75 miles round trip to work it isn't nor will it ever be my daily driver. I may drive it tomorrow just for the heck of it as I don't think my boss has ever seen it. He works in a different area away from us.

I also carry two or three high limit credit cards to pay for the tow home in case I can't get an SS tow truck to come and get me.

If you guys think a M939 is bad for heat from the engine try to the blast furnace coming up from the shifter hole on an M809 truck.

JohnnyBM931A2

I don't know how some people can do that.. I've made it a point never to work more than 10 miles from where I live, or live more than 10 miles from where I work. Having to drive that much in the morning/evening, just to get to work and drive back home, is crazy to me :cookoo:

71DeuceAK

If you guys think a M939 is bad for heat from the engine try to the blast furnace coming up from the shifter hole on an M809 truck.
I wouldn't know, I haven't driven one LOL. I'd like to own one though! I think I'd take a 939 series over an 809 series though.

Lonnie

Keep in mind that the weight of a 5 ton, even empty, may be over the weight limit of many side roads you may want to drive on.

In my area, anything that is not a state maintained road, seems to have a 10 ton weight limit.

You either have to take the highways or risk getting the fines.

mattgunguy

I use both a m35a2 & a xm818 for a daily driver. The xm818 more so as I've gotten spoiled by power steering & the m35a2 has been getting a crew cab conversion finished up.. As has been stated repeatedly, the green iron bug ain't the cheapest thing in the world. Be prepared to spend money. If you pick your upgrades carefully & shop around for parts diligently, cost can be controlled. Do not just buy the first injection pump you find on an auction site. Look around more, odds are it can be found cheaper. Listen to the folks on here, the have forgotten more than I'll ever know about these trucks. Ask questions (use the search box first). If or when you do get a 5 ton read the TM's & keep up on PMCS. That alone will save you many headaches & prevent little problems from becoming great big expensive problems.

I support a family of 5 on a single income & still manage to maintain 2 trucks. It can be done without selling an arm & 2 legs.

CUCVLOVER

I just need info so I can convince my dad about letting me get one. thanks!
Brother I feel you.
I can't tell you about a 5ton as a daily so sorry there.

I can tell it can be a chore to con, I mean convince your pops into letting you get a 5ton or in my case a duece.
You have to make him think it was his idea.
If he has green blood then no problem. As with mine he only kind of wants one to have put up and never drive except for an emergency like a natural disaster, or flood or something. Im guessing your dad is the same way?
Me, I don't see it as a yard ornament, its meant to be driven.
So good luck, dont give up and please share any parent convincing tips you might have.

TB58

I am currently using my Deuce as a daily driver. I really enjoy it most of the time. Two things that cause me stress. Parking anywhere that doesn't have pull through spots and maintenance. It really sucks having strict time limits on maintenance because you have to drive to work the next day. If you can work in your driveway or where ever this won't be as big a deal, but having to go some where with specific hours makes this worse. I have a lot of people tell me I am crazy but I find it very rewarding.

71DeuceAK

You guys just described how I feel about potentially owning a Deuce or 5 ton. I'd totally have either as a daily driver but parking would kind of suck. I'm almost 18 and going off to college, so the one I'd have to convince is the parking attendent at UAF (TB58, I'm sure you know that place).
If nothing else, I'd take one as a yard ornament...but ideally I'd drive it regularly.

bigtard10

Many questions about GP Auction system

If I were to win an auction for a 5 ton on govplanet.com. what all needs to be done before I can drive it home? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

kfrosty

You'll need to wire them the money within 3 days if the amount + 10% and SF97 or title fees are more than $5k. You can use a credit card up to 5k.

Designate whether you'll be picking it up or having it shipped.

Once your money clears, then you'll get a release form and should get an address with a contact there and the hours when you can pickup. Call the person before you leave and verify you're coming.

If you're driving, do a search on recommended things to take. You won't be able to get a tag because it takes 4 to 8 weeks for an SF 97. Personally, I hauled mine but just make sure you have insurance. I drove mine the finally way home without a tag, just insurance and proof of purchase.

You'll see everything online. I would recommend keeping an eye on everything. I wired money on a friday next day. Tues it didn't show up so I called and they said I never wired it. Wasted all afternoon on the phone and then Weds, it just magically showed up on their end even though I gave them a confirmation of the transfer from their bank.

Ue413

Like kfrosty stated, the govplanet part is very straight forward. When you go to pick up, you will be given a govplanet contact at military base. At the base, you'll have to get clearance to enter, then connect with the govplanet rep who will find your purchase. With release and purchase, you can head out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many bases will not allow you to drive the truck off the base. It must be towed or trailered. Contact the base to find out.

It is not GP or GLs decision, it is the base commanders.

also being your young age of 17 most insurance companies will not even give you a chance to buy a policy (or be covered on someone else's policy).

Last edited: