• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No answers

rustystud

Last night I finished reading the threads in the modified deuce section. After all that reading I came away with some great ideas for my deuce and a lot of questions .

One: there are about as many ideas on tires and what will fit and how it will fit and what it will fit as there are members to this site ! Maybe someone who has tried all these combinations can come up with a sticky that will tell what will fit, how it will fit and what it will fit ! and what tire makes the most sense money wise .

Two: No one has come up with a definitive answer that explains the difference in the LDS and LDT engines and the increased HP of the LDS . Everyone has a guess or someone said or someone told me , but no true answers. The one about the pistons and oil spraying I can answer. I worked on the MAN engines for years and they have a oil galley in the piston that is feed from the rod end and exits through a metered hole which sprays the cylinder walls. I once cut in half a MAN piston to see for myself this galley. It is underneath the top of the dome itself and really does cool the piston top. I'm sure the Multifuels use something along those lines . So what else is the difference between these engines ? Bigger injectors ? higher injection pressure ? higher compression ? ( doubtful ) , cam timing ? ( again doubtful ) , what ???

Three: More speed, how to get there. Bigger tires, overdrive transmission, auxiliary transmission, raised fuel , which is the best for durability, longevity, and cost ? Some say the stock 9.00X20 tires are not as strong as the newer 395's or the HEMMIT's or the whatevers . Truth ? What about braking after installing larger tires. Some say no difference, others say "DANGER WILL ROBERTSON". Who knows for sure ? Who has run there rigg long enough to inform the rest of us ? What about fuel mileage ?

These are just some of the questions I have come away with.
I'm reading the regular deuce section now (on number 60 ). Maybe there will be more answers there, or just more questions. We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure they have all been answered but common sense dictates an answer for number three on braking. Pretty sure that Newton's laws cover stopping something that weighs more and has more rotational mass, i.e. bigger tires/wheels. Now is it going to be a big difference? Maybe not, but if something has more mass and is going faster something has to change.

IMHO

rrrr

All these questions have been answered in the forum, just takes time to look through all the posts.

The bottom line is the deuce is a tactical vehicle designed in the 1950's. It obviously has done a great job
because the military kept using it soooooo long! My deuce was is service for 39 years. You can gold plate a turd
but underneath its still a turd. You can do things to make it better but the basic design is what it is.

I've put 395's on my truck, air o matic steering, lock outs on the front axle, external brake fluid resevoir and
many other mods to make it more road worthy and safe. Its still a tactical vehicle.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS has different pistons, more oil squirting up towards the pistons, different timing (by one tooth) on the IP, a different IP, a different spray pattern on the injectors, a wastegate turbo, relocated starter (to clear the different turbo), and other parts. If you really need something to do on these long winter nights, get out the -34P on the engines and check the UOC (Use On Code) for the different engines. Report back to us exactly what you find. Personally I have better things to do, like sleep, drink, eat, play with my toys, participate here, and did I mention drink?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1: I'm not sure what you want to know about tires, but the 395 is my favorite tire. I have run them on stock rims and now I have them on modified hemtt rims. The XML is not as good as the XZL. They wear faster and are louder.

2: The biggest difference in the LDT and LDS is the IP. Yes there are different pistons, but an LDT with an LDS pump will run real good.

3: Yes braking will change with bigger tires. If maintained, the brakes will work fine with the 395s. I can lock my tires up with my brakes. On the way home for a Ga rally, I had three trailers(yes 3 trailers stacked on top of each other) and a bed full of crap. Some retarded LEO cut us off to go the other direction in traffic and we could still stop without killing him.

4: You mention fuel economy. Its hard to say without a tach/speedo drive made for the 395s, but in the LDS trouble shooting manual, it has a table that tells you fuel consumption for a specific rpm. That should get you close to finding out how far you can go on a tank of fuel.

I will now move on to fix the economy, I just need to get a job first!

ATPTac

The one thing I have noticed about this forum is that almost any question about these vehicles has been answered at one point or another. Are the answers going to be easy to find? Absolutely not, it takes hours upon hours of digging through posts and linking to other posts and getting lost into the bowels of the archives. I've posted a few questions that I literally spent several hours trying to find the answer to and someone posted a link to a thread with the answer within minutes. My personal rule of thumb is if you can't find the answer you're looking for within a reasonable amount of time and going through pages upon pages of searched thread, then ask the question. I got extremely overwhelmed when I first came on here looking for info, but give it time and continue reading and you'll start to pick up the answers slowly, and eventually be as knowledgeable as the "veterans" on here.

junk collector

After watching enough threads I have already learned not to ask any questions unless you want jumped on and scolded like a child. The search for answers is usually a link maze in the search section.

ATPTac

After watching enough threads I have already learned not to ask any questions unless you want jumped on and scolded like a child. The search for answers is usually a link maze in the search section.
That's more or less what I've found myself. I do understand that a lot of the senior members on here are tired of answering the same questions 100 times (especially insurance related questions). But there comes a point where if someone has a question and its related to a topic that has hundreds of hits when searching (not necessarily related to the question), I think there should come a point where its ok to ask the question without getting fussed at. I guess what I'm getting at is, search for your question and actually give it some legitimate effort, if after a while you can't come up with a solid answer THEN ask. Just my 2cents

junk collector

I agree 100% more people need to look first and then ask for help but almost everyone is looking for the quick fix with the least amount of effort. Unfortunately the non dead beats also get beat up in the process.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am terrible at searching But I will still try. So if I need answers I go ask some one. Juan has been a great help to me and I would like to thank him publicly . Thanks Juan

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I agree searching can get old after awhile, and a lot of "Veterans" will post a link to try and help. Everyone that owns a MV however, should have all the manuals for it downloaded. A great percentage of questions can be answered by becoming familiar with the Technical Manuals. I print the pages I need for the task, and then take them out to the shop. I post them on the truck with a couple of magnets, and perform the task. Most of the Work Packages even list what tools you need to complete the task.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think "its just the internet", why get upset about someone's post? If you don't like it don't read it. Too many folks get upset over other's answers. Someone will eventually come along and answer the way you were hoping.

rustystud

What most ALL of you who posted except gimp failed to read in my post was that I HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS !!! Did you NOT READ that ?!! I said after all that reading these where questions that where NOT answered ! Most of the answers in the threads where someones OPINION ! NOT FACT!!! As for the stock answer of look it up, why doesn't someone (Oh I don't know, like a senior member !) write-up a sticky for all the newbi's so that they are not bothered. I've spent 2 years reading through this site before I ever posted, as I didn't want to get flamed for a stupid question. The questions I have asked have NOT been answered in the threads to my liking. As a mechanic I want firm proof, or a result of years of doing or performing or functioning like they said it was. Like I said in the post, most is hearsay not fact. Don't get me wrong, there are many here like gimpyrobb and peashooter and gringeltaube and TN America and Jatonka and clinto and about 20 others who really know what there saying and back it up with results. As far as the manuals, I have them all that I know of except "ORD SNL G 742" I even bought the TM9-2320-209-35 Depot Maintenance manual from TNJ Murray. I have also downloaded all the vehicle manuals from
"Liberated Manuals ", so yes I have the manuals. But the manuals do NOT mention anything about different size tires ! or go into the differences of the LDS versus LDT engine . It just gives the numbers of the parts not "this is crossed drilled here for " or "oil galley in the piston allows higher temps" or that kind of answers period. The military did not need those kind of questions answered. You use this part PERIOD. You do this action PERIOD. In this hobby we modify the crap out of our trucks and the answers are not in the manuals ! It would be nice, if someone had an honest question , that they could get an honest answer, not a whole lot of B.S. from the peanut gallery !

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I understand you're fustian. I read post after post about oil for rear ends and trannys and it got confusing. So after be here a while you have to make a choice of who you trust with their answer.and go with it or ask Doghead to write a new Tm about all mods done on trucks or Clint or one of the other mods.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe TM 9-2910-226-34 might hold some answers on the IP. In the specs for the different IP's I found different advance spring rates and different amounts of the CC shot into the injector. See what you think. As for the peanut gallery it's mild around here I think.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the threads where someones OPINION ! NOT FACT!!!
It would be nice, if someone had an honest question , that they could get an honest answer, not a whole lot of B.S. from the peanut gallery !
Your posting on the Internet, remember ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks