• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Garage, Need Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnuts

I had (gone/sold) a Street Sweeper shutgun and a Desert Eagle fifty calliber simi auto pistol. Neither required a destructive weapon permit per the ATF home office in DC. But the local office in town (southern state) hounded me for years. This does relate, hang in there.

After talking with so many insurers one who did issue and then cancel even. I get the impression that a lot of states have the lattitude that local ATF branches do. One state may follow a federal guidline for the company while the next may be open to more or less risk.

What works in one state most certainly does not work with the same company in all states.

Best bet is to make a list of those companies who have covered and be open and disclose everything. One of the companies the club uses should work. Never hold back and dont curb the facts because an insurance company has the best lawyers outside of a congressmans pocket.

I started with USAA who got skittish on the 2nd truck and cancelled. Then they sent me to Modern Insurance Corp who will do the truck as an antique.

Dont give up and keep calling.

Attachments

IMA944T

Farmer couldn't do anything over 1 ton so they called indepenent insurer for me and it cost $240.00 yearly. I drove it to the place that they sent me to and they did it under a classic and paperwork came back from Progressive. No full coverage but didn't ask

Engine5

Wow, the cheapest I got today from travelers ins in MA was 962.00 for the year. Progressive wont touch it. It has to be a commercial policy in MA because of the weight.

chris10980

Does any body know if Gulf way writes policies in New York? I do not have a garage large enough to store a deuce.

Do the insurance companies consider a soft sided carport type enclosure a garage?

I don't know ? Insurance companies are selective and it depends on if they are registered with the state insurance commissioner or whatever agency they go through! I have to find out if they can sell insurance in Montana I don't think a soft enclosure would qualify? Someone have an answer?? Good luck in your quest

DieselBob

I do not have a garage large enough to store a deuce.

From Gulfway main page

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gulfway Insurers started its Collector Truck program in 2001 after speaking with the management at American Truck Historical Society and being told an innovative insurance program was needed for the truck collector. The highlights of this program include no mileage limitation, no radius limitation, we can include trailers, there is no size or weight limitation, inside storage is not required."

I figure any thing under a grand a year with no limitations on use is a deal for something that GVW's at 23K+.

[/FONT]

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got mine from Progressive yesterday, went through their commercial division. I got a commercial policy for non-commercial use for $396/year. I told her everything about the truck and she knew what I was talking about. I didn't hide anything from her. I got it with just the state (MN) minnimum requirements but I might bump that up. Now I can get rid of the farm plates and get regular truck plates and drive it whenever and wherever I want :-D

ohnuts

I'm with Modern through USAA who cancelled and sent me to them. But heh I have no inside place to put the dump truck I want next. So I'm talking to Gulfway about going with them and being allowed outside storage. Gulfway does sound a bit slow and under staffed so far but will most likely make the switch.

Farm B, State Farm and Geico all passed a cherry when I asked them to insure here in Indianapolis.

ohnuts

So you went with your company and paid $1279.00 ?

About your Avatar it's been driving me nuts to see that movie again. I was on Ballistic missile subs till I retired, we lived with the Bomb slept with it and in general kept it happy.

The movie was a cult classic with us.

DieselBob

Update on the response from Gulfway when I asked to verify any restrictions.

"The insurance program offered contemplates use of the vehicle for collections, shows, exhibits, meetings, parades. It does not provide for hauling items or servicing your property or trips to the beach or camping, etc. "

That kills Gulfway for me. I want to actually use the truck. The search continues.

Insurance is a ripoff, but it only takes one time(accident} and if you don't have it? $$$$$. I insured my truck a couple of years ago and it was a commercial policy with progressive. Around $300 for 6 months. Some restrictions but not too bad. I don't know if they write it anymore.

grounded

Banned
Have any of you guys that have gulfway had a ticket in last couple years? i have had a speeding about 3 yrs ago. i know some places for insurance are PIA with a simple ticket.

sixfeathers

Banned
I spoke with them today and the dude was more concerned about being the insurer for the Suntrust Race team than a measly truck.. Pretty much told me same thing.. But he did offer commercial coverage with no limitations for 3 grand a year. I hung up on the dude.. State farm said they would insure for liability only but the underwriters would only allow 3 k miles a year. For a whopping 618.00 every six months.:twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks