• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Garage, Need Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaminjim

Went to my local independent insurance agent after the farm bureau said no, USAA (with them 40 years) said no and JC Taylor wanted a locked garage period. She had insured a private fire truck and said she would look into it. Three days later for $84 I had insurance through Condon and Skelly which is a Met Life company. She said I was limited to 2,500 miles a year which is OK for now. They asked for a locked garage and I told them that it was located on a 40 acre farm and could not be seen from the street. No problem.
Semper Fi,
Steaminjim

performanceauto89

1957 Insurance rates???????

Well, I just licensed my 1957 Utica Bend M35, got away with regualr plates and went with tonage sticker 25 ton to be exact. After the courthouse I went to our local State Farm agent. Can you believe forty dollars yes that is $40.00 for six months of your basic liabilty coverage? There are not a whole lot of vehicles on the street that are going to win against a 6x6!!!!! This is an all new record low rate for me. I'm 33 married, housebroken and pretty much domesticated.
Just thought I would throw it out there for all of you.

Mt Doom Field Owner

I am a brand new owner and have a couple of weeks left to register it with the ALABAMA DMV. I called my agent and gave him the year, make, model and VIN of my M35A2 (1971 model)... I will be getting a policy in the mail in a day or two so will let you know the results. The company is Horrace Mann Ins. (aka Teachers Ins. C0.) who insure teachers as a group and due to statistics of this group (old teachers and the like) the price for comprehensive coverage has been VERY reasonable when compared to Geico, Progressive and the other big guys. If they come back at me with an unreasonable number I will try to contact some of the companies I have been seeing in these threads. Will be back soon with another cartoon!!!:razz:

10mm fan

How are you guys getting insurange with progressive commercial?
I just looked under vehicles that they do NOT insure and it says:
"Military vehicles, such as a Pinzgauer or Unimog" :-x

Mt Doom Field Owner

Got the Antique Tag for a one time fee of $71.25 (Alabama DMV) for the Deuce.. is this about the normal amount for one? Seemed pretty high but since it's forever I guess I should look at it as a several year benefit. Anyway I am now awaiting the price of my liability ins. to arrive but as of right now I'm perfectly street legal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to shop for insurance for the 8x8 truck tractor....checked with Haggerty and they need it to be garaged..if so, the rate would be $124/year. Any commercial policy has to include the trailer and the rate then becomes astronomical (for me any way).
I'm only at the beginning of this, so more to come.

Farmun

I have had my home and auto insurance through Farm Bureau as long as I have had autos and a home. Stopped by the local office today, and got a new policy for my soon to be picked up Deuce. Had to go with commercial, liability only. They had to call the underwriters at the home office to make sure they could do it, they said yes. So I'm covered now. :-D

Last edited:

StoneMill

I'm looking at a deuce in PA and started shopping around for insurance. My agent first thought to go with a commercial policy but called today with a quote of $157/year through American Collectors. There is a 4000 mile/year limit and it needs to be garaged. Said use won't be a problem as long as the mileage limits aren't exceeded. They need pics of the truck and garage.

jimm1009

M35 insurance

It does not necessarily have to be your garage.

Gulfway is what I switched to for about 148 per year.
No garage requirements.

Jim

JCKnife

I have insurance through Farm Bureau (in my case, Kentucky Farm Bureau). My agent is fully aware of what the vehicle is - it's not the only one they insure - and there is no requirement of a garage. I don't know if there is a Farm Bureau in your area or not.

Also, you don't have to have a farm, but in Kentucky at least, you do have to pay a yearly $25 fee to be an "associate member" so that you can buy insurance. That might seem bad, but the liability-only insurance for my deuce is $36 for six months, so I'm pretty content with it.

Good luck.
THIS is the post I've been looking for since joinging SS. Thanks, man!

number9

I changed my vehicles & motorcycles to All State about 3 weeks ago. Haven't called KY Farm Bureau yet to tell them to take my vehicles off - keep forgetting. Maybe I will ask them for a Deuce quote before doing that. Also get one from All State to compare first.

number9

Well, I called KY Farm Bureau and All State today to get quotes on the Deuce. KYFB came back with $167 / 6mo and All State came back with $132 / 6mo. Neither seemed to have a problem with the truck or weight. I added it to my auto policy at All State. Liability only, with 100/300/100 coverage. No restrictions at all. I specifically asked, "So, I can haul whatever I want to and drive it to CA if I want?" and he said , "Sure".

Whitey

Question for you guys. Gulfway just shot me an email saying they'd email me my new ID card for my vehicle. Anyone with Gulfway eventually receive mailed cards, paperwork, etc? They left it short and sweet and without much of an explanation. I would only assume the paperwork would be mailed within a few days. Thanks guys!

Rustygears

Gulfway came through with my printed cards in about a week. They emailed me proof of insurance within the day of receiving my check. I'm very impressed with their service. USAA sucks. They screwed me and as a result, I found Gulfway through this wonderful forum. I WAS a USAA customer for 30+ years and had 10 vehicles on my policy. That's done.

I think you'll be happy with Gulfway. It's how USAA USED to be. Now they're busy advertising on TV and radio but no longer serving their loyal customers.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a quote from Gulfway for a deuce, M1010, M37, '57 F100, and MKT for $700 per year with $500,000 liability and no garaging requirements. The funny part is my regular auto policy is with Traveler's and they won't insure the duece but the Gulfway quote uses Traveler's as their underwriter.

Status
Not open for further replies.