• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS USMC M1028 from Norway Storage

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2012.

Sandcobra164:

Sorry to hear that your M1031 got caught up in an NCIS investigation. While I have differed from you in the past as what should be or not be done with the truck, this issue points up a very real fact that the Steel Soldiers members need to reflect on.

For a couple of the less enlighted members on here who took umbrage at my comments the future owns these vehicles, we are only the caretakers, I still stand on that position. BUT do note the situation that has arisen since my original post, it may be that Uncle Sam still owns the truck through no fault of Sandcobra164. The same thing can happen to any of your trucks in the event of a Demil Code change, and I woudn't want to see what Uncle would do to all those who have "Bobbed" the GI issue deuces....

The fact is, once U.S.Government property, always U.S. Government property until finally scrapped. In your particular case the truck may have been stolen, removed from government property or ownership by spurious means, or illegally returned from foreign ownership (E.G. a variation on "Lend-Lease"), and regrettably you have gotten caught in it by the purpetrator(s). In this case, you stand to lose your original investment and any upgrades, with your only recourse is to locate and sue the person(s) who sold it to you to reclaim your moneys. I had wondered at the time why Uncle Sam had returned the truck to the U.S. for disposition, usually they sell them overseas (just as a note to my original reasoning).

The same thing would happen to any of our US military vehicles that we own should the Demil Code be changed and Uncle Sam request the return of the vehicle to the nearest DRMO facility. In that case Uncle would have to reimburse for improvements, upgrades, repairs or replacements if they are documented, but the vehicle legally would be subject to recall for whatever reason Uncle wants it back. There would be little or no chance of a legal win against Uncle Sam in that event, so there would be little or no use in posting a suit.

Beyond your personal attachment to the truck, I can see other members of your family are attached also, so I can only hope that some resolution comes through that works in your favor. Please accept my best wishes for you, and alsomywish that whatever happens, youer level of acceptance will handle facts that we may not be able to change, no matter how we might wish otherwise.:sad:

Last edited:

Keith_J

Wait a second...what does the title say?

I thought my M1031 was low mileage with 9009 original. It had all the same paperwork with it, save the -10 and LO. No pioneer tool rack, just 5 pound purple K extinguisher, road triangles, lug wrench and jack handle.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wait a second...what does the title say?

I thought my M1031 was low mileage with 9009 original. It had all the same paperwork with it, save the -10 and LO. No pioneer tool rack, just 5 pound purple K extinguisher, road triangles, lug wrench and jack handle.
You don't get a title for a vehicle that old in GA...unless you have a title from another state. Just a tag/registration.

SC's paperwork is straight...trust me.
I feel confident he will be allowed to keep his truck....he's done nothing wrong.:D

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2012.

It's not the title or the SF-97, it is the bill of sale issued by either the DRMO and/or GL. There is always an escape clause giving Uncle Sam the chance to change the demil codes or request the vehicle return if was sold legally by Uncle. If it's Lend Lease to a foreign nation, or stolen, all bets are off.... You won't be the guy they are lookibng for, but the truck could get reclaimed all the same. Whenever I sell a US Vehicle, I keep all the records relating to the purchase(mine) and the person I sold it to. I can provide all of them to Uncle, but the address will be as of date of sale, and the EUC check will be only to the person I sold to with the standard EUC restriction language...No fooling around here....:eek:

IF NCIS is involved, papabear, I would not bet anything on retention of the vehicle, the concept works much like the "Fruit of the Poison Tree" doctrine in law with the provision that instead of evidence gained through illegal means is disregarded, a vehicle obtained via illegal of fraudulent means by the first person in the chain of possesion after the last legitimate owner, all later sales will be void as the original bill of sale was not right.....or legal. Stolen goods are always property of the original owner or their insurance company (if paid off in a civillian vehicle theft claim). Uncle never alienates his equipment without an escape clause written into the lend lease or sales document.

Last edited:

cscmc1

October 31st, 2012.

Sandcobra164:

Sorry to hear that your M1031 got caught up in an NCIS investigation. While I have differed from you in the past as what should be or not be done with the truck, this issue points up a very real fact that the Steel Soldiers members need to reflect on.
This is a very fair point. I'll offer only this: any mods I do I try to make as reversible as possible, and any parts installed I try to keep military. I do this for purely selfish reasons. For one, I like the military feel, and second, someday, if need-be, I can sell it for significantly more, I suspect, than one that's been "Bubba'd."

"Bubba'd" is a term in the milsurp rifle world that means modified or "sporterized" to such a degree that value is greatly diminished. Think of back when all those 1903A3 and K98 rifles (etc...) were a dime a dozen, and guys bought them to cut down or re-stock into hunting rifles, tap & drill for scopes , etc... Those with permanent changes are worth dramatically less money than those without.

Anyway, I like my M1009 just fine as it sits, and I'll try to keep it essentially "as Uncle Sam intended." That's just a personal preference, and obviously, folks are welcome to do what they'd like with their own property. I'd just encourage them to consider the future value, and if they're OK with conceivable diminishing the value by half (or more) with permanent mods, by all means, go for it!

And to OP -- keep us posted. I am really sorry to hear about your complications with NCIS. What a pain! Wonder how this all came to be?

85CUCVtom

Got a lovely phone call from NCIS today, the dang thing could possibly be hot!!! In my eyes, what a kick in the tail. I'm not sure where this mess may go but I've truly got the wind knocked out of me at the moment. I'll know more Monday when I go in to do an interview with the investigator. It's a 27 year old truck, they shouldn't want it back but you never know. They certainly want pictures of it.
I hope everything works out in your favor. I think it's kinda silly that 3 years later you get a phone call about it. I would think they would have bigger fish to fry 2cents.
Hopefully it all works out.

sandcobra164

Firstly, wow, that change you made to the first post looks rough Warthog. It's true though, it may be repo'd but we'll see how that works out in the coming weeks or months.

Secondly, I owe an explanation of how NCIS found me for those who are curious. I work at the Base in Albany as a Civilian for the Marine Corps. I enjoy my job, it pay's pretty good and helps keep food on the table for my family. Of course, rumors run rampant on any military installation. I started hearing some scuttlebutt about the gentlemen I purchased the truck from and how he had been instigated in some shady deals and was under investigation. I spoke with my supervisor about my situation and he got me an appointment with my Director. I gave him copies of the bill of sale, the cashiers check, the registration, tag receipts for the past few years and a letter detailing the very basics of the transaction. He forwarded the packet to NCIS. This may sound like a bad move to make to anyone whose bread and butter is not paid for by Uncle Sam. I talked this over with another member on here who is older and wiser than myself. Long story short, my livelihood is worth more than the truck. I paid $2,500 for it, I may lose it but by coming forward, my name is cleared from any wrong doing. Instead of waiting for Uncle to come looking for me, by the way he would have found me eventually, I'm still in good terms with my employer.

Lastly, the truck is 27 years old, it's obsolete and per phone conversation, they just want pics of the truck in support of their investigation. If they do decide to take the truck, I'll sue the person who wrote me the bill of sale for way more than I paid for it. Consider the fact I've kept current maintenance, registration, insurance and as much as I hate to say it, "pain and suffering." I'll wait for it to come to GL and buy the dumb thing back for the sake of my youngest son who is very attached to it. To quote my Mother, "This too shall pass" and that's the viewpoint I'll take regarding this situation.

tcody

Firstly, wow, that change you made to the first post looks rough Warthog. It's true though, it may be repo'd but we'll see how that works out in the coming weeks or months.

Secondly, I owe an explanation of how NCIS found me for those who are curious. I work at the Base in Albany as a Civilian for the Marine Corps. I enjoy my job, it pay's pretty good and helps keep food on the table for my family. Of course, rumors run rampant on any military installation. I started hearing some scuttlebutt about the gentlemen I purchased the truck from and how he had been instigated in some shady deals and was under investigation. I spoke with my supervisor about my situation and he got me an appointment with my Director. I gave him copies of the bill of sale, the cashiers check, the registration, tag receipts for the past few years and a letter detailing the very basics of the transaction. He forwarded the packet to NCIS. This may sound like a bad move to make to anyone whose bread and butter is not paid for by Uncle Sam. I talked this over with another member on here who is older and wiser than myself. Long story short, my livelihood is worth more than the truck. I paid $2,500 for it, I may lose it but by coming forward, my name is cleared from any wrong doing. Instead of waiting for Uncle to come looking for me, by the way he would have found me eventually, I'm still in good terms with my employer.

Lastly, the truck is 27 years old, it's obsolete and per phone conversation, they just want pics of the truck in support of their investigation. If they do decide to take the truck, I'll sue the person who wrote me the bill of sale for way more than I paid for it. Consider the fact I've kept current maintenance, registration, insurance and as much as I hate to say it, "pain and suffering." I'll wait for it to come to GL and buy the dumb thing back for the sake of my youngest son who is very attached to it. To quote my Mother, "This too shall pass" and that's the viewpoint I'll take regarding this situation.
Dude - You did the right thing. Even though it sometimes seems like you get slapped around a little by being honorable in the end you will never regret it. I know things will work out for you. Keep us posted.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

You did the right thing...as I said.
NOTHING is worth jeopardizing your name, family and well being...especially an old truck...even if it is "pristine".

You did nothing wrong...if someone else did...let them deal with it.

I say you will keep your truck.:beer:

sandcobra164

PB, I was trying to hide the identity of the "older and wiser than myself" gentlemen. You jumped right in there but I truly appreciate your friendship, mentorship and advice. Thanks to the Army that we have the fellowship and advice of the Imperial First Sergeant!!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB, I was trying to hide the identity of the "older and wiser than myself" gentlemen. You jumped right in there but I truly appreciate your friendship, mentorship and advice. Thanks to the Army that we have the fellowship and advice of the Imperial First Sergeant!!!!
You're a good troop and here's another piece of Imperial Advice...don't post much else til ya figure out how this is gonna go Brother.:beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too many people where just reading the first page and didn't see your update.

Just wanted to get their attention.

Hope it goes your way. You did the right thing. A truck can be replaced. Your livelyhood is a little harder.

ryan77

You did the right thing! The last thing you need is a surprise later on down the road and the sleep less nights. Its just a truck hopefully you can keep it and move on!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks