• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nylon Radiator Fan?

Merc1973

Has anyone "upgraded" to a nylon fan? There are some on FleaBay for sale for $125. I wouldn't mind using it alone or along with the thermal fan clutch mod this summer.

M35 nylon fan.JPGM35 nylon fan2.JPG

welldigger

What would the advantage of the nylon fan be versus a flex fan? I get that nylon is lighter than stock but I would think a flex fan would be the best overall approach to reduced weight and drag on the engine.

DieselBob

I'm no expert but in my years I have seen several metal fan failures but have not seen a nylon fan fail. Not saying they don't but I have not seen one yet. That would be a plus in the long run. Also you can't bend a blade and throw the balance off. 2cents

ATPTac

I'm no expert but in my years I have seen several metal fan failures but have not seen a nylon fan fail. Not saying they don't but I have not seen one yet. That would be a plus in the long run. Also you can't bend a blade and throw the balance off. 2cents
Those are very valid points. I might pick one of these up and see how it does.

ATPTac

I'd be curious to know if they are any quieter.
Doubtful, most of the noise you get out of fans is the air its moving. So assuming it moves the same amount of air, I would guess it would be the same noise level. I guess if you get down to the science behind it, the blade angle and other various factors play into it as well. That's not really my department, so who knows... they might be.

I wonder if it adds any drag with almost double the number of blades.
From what I can tell from the pictures, the blades look smaller than stock fans. So it might be the same or equivalent.

rustystud

All our Busses run these type of blades. First off they rarely break. What usually happens is they get nicked from some object that was loose flying around the engine compartment, but I've only seen a couple completely loose a blade. Even after loosing the blade it did not destroy itself from being "out of balance" .In fact one was in service for over 1 year before someone noticed it never got replaced on a work order ! As far as noise goes, "ATPTac" is right, they make the same as a steel one. I cannot comment on the issue of drag, as we never checked for it. Though all the engine builders "speced " this type of fan blade for their engines : "Detroit Diesel", "Cummins", "CAT". So maybe there is less parasitic drag with a nylon fan over the steel. There is one more issue that needs to be brought up, "Weight". These types of fans
don't put the extra weight on the "water pump" bearings like a steel one would. So hopefully longer water pump lives.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All our Busses run these type of blades. First off they rarely break. What usually happens is they get nicked from some object that was loose flying around the engine compartment, but I've only seen a couple completely loose a blade. Even after loosing the blade it did not destroy itself from being "out of balance" .In fact one was in service for over 1 year before someone noticed it never got replaced on a work order ! As far as noise goes, "ATPTac" is right, they make the same as a steel one. I cannot comment on the issue of drag, as we never checked for it. Though all the engine builders "speced " this type of fan blade for their engines : "Detroit Diesel", "Cummins", "CAT". So maybe there is less parasitic drag with a nylon fan over the steel. There is one more issue that needs to be brought up, "Weight". These types of fans
don't put the extra weight on the "water pump" bearings like a steel one would. So hopefully longer water pump lives.
Sounds like you work in a real high quality shop.

rustystud

Sounds like you work in a real high quality shop.
We have over 1400 busses to maintain, and only 240 mechanics in 7 bases, (not shops, as the buildings can hold over 44 60ft busses at one time) so sometimes things fall through the cracks. We have the most modern buss system in the USA. Over a third of our fleet is hybrids, we where the first fleet to use this technology. Over 80% of our mechanics are "ASE" certified. We have our own rebuild center, where all components are rebuilt. We work hand in hand with "Cummins" "CAT" "Meritor" to name only a few. We have our own training center where mechanics from 3 states come to learn about the newest systems.
So yes I work in a "real high quality shop".

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody ever had a stock deuce fan break? When I rebuilt my truck, the fan was bent, so I got a take-off replacement from another Deuce and it looked to be almost brand new, nice and straight.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Has anybody ever had a stock deuce fan break? When I rebuilt my truck, the fan was bent, so I got a take-off replacement from another Deuce and it looked to be almost brand new, nice and straight.
I have! It was awesome, I was towing an m818 home from GL when it happened, it cut open the radiator an we had to abandon the trucks at walmart for 2 days till I could get back and swap out the rad.

Carnage pics in post #46:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-are-good-some-not-so-good&highlight=radiator

Last edited:

FarmerRob

Just bought one, I'll let you guys know how it works.

Ed
What's the haps, FMJ?
I just discovered today that I need to buy a fan and I'm trying to justify $125 for a nylon one over $35 for a used steel one. I'm also considering about $100 for an electric one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks