• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Green Affliction

JOAT 0311

I've had a minor set back. I will not be able to have my project operational this summer if I use the M35 as the Chassis. So now the plan is to gently dis-assemble the 109. I was going to use a uhaul aluminum box on my trailer but it looks like the 109 box will be going on instead. Too much too replace or rebuild on the M35 for this summer and the uhaul box I had lined up is not for sale now. It will give me a chance to attend to the minimal rust anyway.

The new plan:

Now I will be using 2 fork trucks or a 2 post lift to remove the 109 box and set it on an extra section of frame. The frame will have been welded or bolted to my 10k lb trailer frame. Then I can bolt bolt box to the frame. I will use the oak strips or thick rubber or urethane strips for cushion. The rear end will be singled out and centered at 15.5'. I have an interesting set of springs that will bolt on to the frame in the rear and give me good weight capacity. I will not be modifying the frame at all. I should be able to return my Truck to it's original form if I want to later. I have more pictures of progress on the M35. So now the M35 will be mostly dis-assembled for clean up and rebuilding this winter. I may sell some parts to keep the project going but I am excited to have all the extra parts and a low mileage spare motor etc. I will see what the weather let's me do this weekend.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

I am going to take the time to finally put a general THANK YOU out to everyone here on the sight. I had spent more time reading than posting for a while. I also appreciate the warm welcome. I really have to thank 6x6Guy too. He has been great about getting me up to speed on the events side of things. It is always a lot easier when you have someone to go to events with. I must say it is definitely important that we all do our best to maintain our integrity here on the site. There is plenty of brotherhood here and people willing to go above and beyond to help each other. I hope that stays with this group as more members come in. You don't really see it too much outside of Military circles either. The Identity Principle is one of the many things I miss about the branch I was a part of. I don't miss the Blue Falcon crowd though. Anyway, I am glad to be a part of this and I will hopefully meet some more of you in person soon.

nhdiesel

Weather says lots of rain this weekend. Does anyone have a good deal on a shop shelter for me? I am starting to dislike Wi Weather.
I know what you mean. I'm unemployed but take on any side jobs I can find. So far every side job has been when its either 15 degrees in an unheated barn, or 90 degrees with high humidity. We've had some beautiful weather...when I haven't had work to do. Unfortunately no money to be able to enjoy that good weather either. Oh well...I'll watch the weather channel so I'll know when my next job will come in....

Jim

JOAT 0311

Jim, it sure is frustrating when the weather doesn't cooperate. Luckily, I am willing to work in whatever conditions I have to. The productivity sure will suffer though. I will be on the lookout for some bulk canvas and conduit pretty soon. I should be able to make a nice makeshift awning out of canvas once the Grumman body is on the frame. Maybe a little shop off the side with bug netting? I know my 109 box has brackets for a shelter on the sides. I saw some inexpensive RV's on some of the auction sites. Fridge, A/C, stove, shower, toilet for 1200.00 or less isn't bad. Part out and scrap the rest. I will soon be unemployed as well. I am lucky I have most of what I will need to finish my truck this summer. All I need is the time now!

nhdiesel

I did the same thing, the weather didn't stop me, it just made me grumble under my breath. I did the same thing when I was looking for components for my Grumman camper conversion. Some of the items I bought new off ebay because either I didn't want used (cushions for the dinette table/bed, and faucet) or just because the price was right (brand new, high quality stainless steel stove & sink combo, $80 shipped to my door). For the heater and other items I'll be looking for another donor camper, as the one I got ended up in worse condition than I thought and several items didn't work (fridge, heater).

I'm watching your project closely for ideas I can use. If I happen to get lucky and have a chance to get onto mine, I'll let you know.

Jim

JOAT 0311

I have made more progress............

The Trailer:

I fabbed up some frame pieces to adapt the trailer and was able to attach 12' of deuce frame to the trailer. This made it possible to bolt on my 109 box. I still would like to tweak the trailer a little to make it ride better but I was pretty happy with the results. For the record, all of my work has been done by myself and with 1 ext cord a 9" grinder misc hand tools/jacks and a 5 hp compressor. I also have a Clarke 180 amp mig welder which I could use more practice with. Luckily the grinder will fix the ugly welds. For anyone out there who thinks they are not capable of doing the work on their truck, it's all in the can do attitude and research.
Now my Deuce will fit in my shop and I can single out the rear and put the new springs on it. I did put a dynomax 24216 on the stack. It is MUCH better, no ear muffs. The exhaust was a no hassle add on and at $63 from advanced auto parts I can't complain.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

I have made more progress............

The Trailer:

I fabbed up some frame pieces to adapt the trailer and was able to attach 12' of deuce frame to the trailer. This made it possible to bolt on my 109 box. I still would like to tweak the trailer a little to make it ride better but I was pretty happy with the results. For the record, all of my work has been done by myself and with 1 ext cord a 9" grinder misc hand tools/jacks and a 5 hp compressor. I also have a Clarke 180 amp mig welder which I could use more practice with. Luckily the grinder will fix the ugly welds. For anyone out there who thinks they are not capable of doing the work on their truck, it's all in the can do attitude and research.
Now my Deuce will fit in my shop and I can single out the rear and put the new springs on it. I did put a dynomax 24216 on the stack. It is MUCH better, no ear muffs. The exhaust was a no hassle add on and at $63 from advanced auto parts I can't complain.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

The box required 2 fork trucks to remove. I pulled all the fenders and took all of the hardware out before I scheduled the help. I secured the box with some bolts for transport to the forklifts. I spent maybe 1.5 hrs lifting the box and bolting it onto the trailer. the hardest part was lining up the bolts on the trailer and box after I drove the deuce out from under the box. It took about 45 min of wiggling and lifting to line everything up. I did reuse the oak strips. I plan on painting the trailer frame and the box next summer. I would also like to put a little more distance between my trailer axles and install some of my extra torsion bars. Money is running short and I would like to drive my truck this summer.

JOAT 0311

Here are some pictures of the truck w/o the 109 shelter. I should have one showing the new exhaust. I took my son to a hovercraft demonstration today and we used the deuce. The last pictures are the deuce in my shop. I will be removing the driveshafts and tandems this weekend. I may get the springs (in the back ground picture )installed and mock everything up before I start prep and paint.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Singling out the 109.........

So here I am once again removing tandems. I know my wheel base for the van body and all of my marks are square corner to corner etc. The springs I will use are Eagle suspension and 57" eye to eye. They are 3" wide and the weight capacity is as good or better than deuce front springs. I have a custom driveshaft being made with an inboard center bearing. It will be 79" total, new u-joints etc. The rear sits a little higher than it used to. That is what I intended. I am in need of some 5-ton spring mounting hardware and u-bolts and Dot5 brake fluid and the truck will be a driver. I will be at Iola so if anyone has what I need and will be there, PM me so we can get together there. Here are the pictures!!!!!!!!!

Attachments