• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off Grid

Lextreme

Just came back from camping for 3 days last weekend. Didnt turn on my generator for all three days. This picture was taken about 5 pm. 4 LED lights were turned on. Love those lights. You can see the propane tank sitting on a long box of batteries along with my ham radio antenna.
LED.jpg

Welder Sam

Hey thats sharp!!

Took my "214" out to my farm for a weekend of mass deer slaughter last weekend. No modern ammenities and no slaughter. Did run the gen every night. Only used 5 gallons but itd be nice to go your way.

Last edited:

meyerhvac

Banned
Nice setup !!! I have a suggestion to save some power for you. If you can get a R.V. fridge that runs off propane a/c-d/c power. I have converted them to run off solar power also. If you mount a mirror facing the generator section of the fridge, you can take a magnifying glass focus it on the mirror and you can make enough heat just like it was running on propane. During the night it will stay cold enough to repeat the process the next day. You can still run the fridge on propane or a/c-d/c if you like. The best refrigerant on earth is in these R.V. refrigerators.

For hot water, mount a water tank on the roof filled with water. Take a small dish ,like the ones from dish tv. line it with reflective material ( I used 1 inch mirror tiles) remove the electronic receiver and mount a 4"x4"x2" copper box with 2- 3/4" barb fittings in it. Locate the box at the focal point of the dish. Focus it in on the sun and run 2- 3/4" hoses to your water tank. As the water heats it will gravity feed to your water tank. Add a gravity feed shower head up high, and you get to take a free hot water shower :).

meyerhvac

Banned
Remember, adding items to the top may cause an over height issue. Gravity feed water tanks would be the bomb tho.
I actually meant mount it inside, from the roof. On a m934 most of them have the a/c removed in that space up front. When I get my 934 that is where I`m going to mount a h2o tank. A gravity feed hot shower would be the bomb.

Last edited:

Lextreme

Nice setup !!! I have a suggestion to save some power for you. If you can get a R.V. fridge that runs off propane a/c-d/c power. I have converted them to run off solar power also. If you mount a mirror facing the generator section of the fridge, you can take a magnifying glass focus it on the mirror and you can make enough heat just like it was running on propane. During the night it will stay cold enough to repeat the process the next day. You can still run the fridge on propane or a/c-d/c if you like. The best refrigerant on earth is in these R.V. refrigerators.
The only problem with RV frig is that they are very large and very expensive. Right now my frig is completely independent and stand alone. With two 100W panel it is able to run the frig and other small 12V without problem. My frig is alway 31-32 degrees 24/7.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks