• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official '09 SS Ga. Rally Info thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
did we get out of the horse dropping area...???? i head some ask but never heard any answers
I have sent Mike @ Durhamtown an email and asked, but it was with a bunch of other questions and he did not answer the question regarding the pasture choice.

I will ask him again and if I don't get a response, I will call him.

I would not be surprised if we end up there again, as there is probably a shortage of fields that are near electricity that are fenced off. One of the things we specifically asked for was a semi-private area where the buzzing of 2 cycle engines would be minimized and where our stuff would be safe and you kind of have to take what you can get sometimes.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
near elect?????? i didnt see anyone in our group at the camping have any sort of electric... maybe i was having to much fun. maybe he can move the horses down wind some.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
near elect?????? i didnt see anyone in our group at the camping have any sort of electric... maybe i was having to much fun. maybe he can move the horses down wind some.
There are electric "trees" (wooden posts with multiple outlets) just on the other side of the fence from where we were. I think SCSG-4 is renting one for his MKT this year. I don't think anyone last year used them.

Last edited:

airmech3839

are we allowed to build a fire for ourselves or is it just the big fire for group....cooking question and also if the conversation gets un-kid friendly at big fire....I will have my two boys with me. will there be someone there selling meals? and will we be able to pitch tent next to our trucks? or camp seperate?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
are we allowed to build a fire for ourselves or is it just the big fire for group....cooking question and also if the conversation gets un-kid friendly at big fire....I will have my two boys with me. will there be someone there selling meals? and will we be able to pitch tent next to our trucks? or camp seperate?

1. Fire is allowed at your individual hooch as well as the large group campfire.

2. Convo at the big fire was very reasonable last year, I'd say the only thing that was questionable were a couple of jokes. All in all, I'd say it's very kid friendly. If it were to turn bad, we'd put a stop to it. So don't worry about that.

3. There is a very good Mom & Pop restaurant that Durhamtown runs that sells breakfast, lunch and dinner. Grocery stores are probably within 15-20 miles.

4. You can pitch your tents wherever you please-next to your trucks, in your trucks, on your trucks, under, etc. Or separate. Your call.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm one of the fools that rented a cabin. Find me lounging at Mallards Nest Too if you want to visit.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Who is going to be there first? Kenny, are you bringing the GP medium? I gotta figure out where I am going to put the tent and the vendors.

poppop

Clint, I have lost track, are you arriving on Wed. or Thurs.?? My suggestion is put the tent in the same place. It was behind the fire which was central. Put the vendors along the central road which will be in the middle and we can drop down below the tent if we need to for truck parking and camping. Possibly put a line along the fence if we don't have to many electric cables snaking thru. Just my thoughts for what its worth. I am planning on being there Wednesday if thats when you are coming so I can help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I no longer have any tents Clinto. My original plan was to arrive Wednesday but that looks to be shot down now. Perhaps mid day Thursday I'll get there. I'm still torn on whether or not to pick up the M1008 on the way up or the way back. If I can get childcare and school transportation worked out, I'll try for Wednesday. I do have my hooch reserved for Wed nite.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ok, sounds like we need someone to bring a GP medium!

rmgill

I have a Military Lighting Kit for lighting Military tents. Long rubber cords, Tees and fixtures and covers.

I can bring a 5500 KW gen set if need be too. It's been barely run, so if we run it during the event, I'll probably have to change the oil in it sometime through the weekend.

Blythewoodjoe

ok, sounds like we need someone to bring a GP medium!
If all else fails, I think I have an old GP medium, canvas, that might work. It would have to be hauled there by someone else since I won't get there until Friday evening. I don't have good poles for it, but I have poles I used from my Kitchen tent on one a few years ago. I have not set it up and don't really know the condition so it may be a bust. Let me know if it is needed and I can get it to someone around here that is coming down a little earlier. Again, unknown condition and make shift poles.

Joe Trapp

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If all else fails, I think I have an old GP medium, canvas, that might work. It would have to be hauled there by someone else since I won't get there until Friday evening. I don't have good poles for it, but I have poles I used from my Kitchen tent on one a few years ago. I have not set it up and don't really know the condition so it may be a bust. Let me know if it is needed and I can get it to someone around here that is coming down a little earlier. Again, unknown condition and make shift poles.

Joe Trapp
Your gracious offer will not be necessary, as one of our Florida members has stepped up to the plate and will be bringing a nifty tent for us.

Much thanks to everyone!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clint, I have lost track, are you arriving on Wed. or Thurs.?? My suggestion is put the tent in the same place. It was behind the fire which was central. Put the vendors along the central road which will be in the middle and we can drop down below the tent if we need to for truck parking and camping. Possibly put a line along the fence if we don't have to many electric cables snaking thru. Just my thoughts for what its worth. I am planning on being there Wednesday if thats when you are coming so I can help.
I will be there Wednesday and Thursday but will only be staying there on Friday and Saturday night. I have work stuff I will have to get done at night at home.

I think we will decide where to set everything up on Wednesday when we actually see what condition the field is in after this year's monsoons.

I am going to try to have a little bit of order this year after last year's free for all of parking wherever. At least I will try to put the vendors in a line.

Only issue is what constitutes a vendor....... Dawn and I are bringing a few items to sell, but we aren't like a real vendor with a trailer full of parts. So do we end up in the vendor area or sell out of our campsite/hooch?

Guess we will decide when we get to the field!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Folks, make absolute sure you have good directions to the rally! Go to the directions portion of the Durhamtown website and take their # just in case (and keep in mind cell reception is spotty out there in the woods!).

Directions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks