• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official '09 SS Ga. Rally Info thread

Big CASE

Clinto, I am coming up ,, I ll have the tent for you and maybe a 35"radar tent too ??
if we need it I have a D-Generator ? let me know , and if any thing need to be pick up and brought up let me know .. looks like I will have the M35 & M105

Green_gator

Clinto,
I am coming up and pulling a 105 that should have plenty of room if you need anything brought from this way. Planning on staying in either the 109 if it is ready (the build just keeps expanding) for the trip or trying out my new command post tent. I plan to bring the key parts of the lighting kits and a tent to hand off to doghead.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto,
I am coming up and pulling a 105 that should have plenty of room if you need anything brought from this way. Planning on staying in either the 109 if it is ready (the build just keeps expanding) for the trip or trying out my new command post tent. I plan to bring the key parts of the lighting kits and a tent to hand off to doghead.
Looking forward to seeing you again!

I think the only thing I need brought North is the dipstick that Kenny is bringing and I hope he has enough spare room for it! :p

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, I'm running short on room, may have to stop and get the M1008 for extra capacity. LOL, I'll have ur dipstick dipstick.

Big CASE

Just got to thinking ??? Will any one have there Military Radios working at the Rally ???
and what Fz are we going to use , I will have my PRC-77 up and running

Blythewoodjoe

One big quick question. I will be driving my F-350 with a gooseneck in tow and I am wondering if there will be room to park it in the "base camp" area. We will probably not arrive until after dark Friday night. I will probably have to work as long as I can that day. We will be staying until Sunday morning now it looks like.

Second, how are we going to know who everybody is? There are a lot of people attending this year for the first time and I am already confused. I think name tags will go over like a lead ballon, but should we start a "what do you look like / GA rally people" thread? I don't mind posting a small picture of me and the ladies on here. I don't know how they will feel but we will all have to do a lot of introducing at this thing. Real names and user names will be a work out too.

Joe from Blythewood
AKA Blythewoodjoe:wink:

Big CASE

I will have my Steel Soldiers shirt on with my name on it :)
name tags work for me
HELLO my name is
guy who's as* is nub from the drive
Sorry it is late lol
Big CASE is CASE from FL/ M35A2

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious, since many of us have never been to this rally, or any other rallies before, are you having any t-shirts like some of the others do???

I'm like Blythewoodjoe, it will be kind of overwhelming meeting a whole bunch of new people, and names/user ID's. But name tags to me seem so family reunion-ish...I say we just make a point to introduce ourselves and share an adult beverage with as many people as we can.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just got to thinking ??? Will any one have there Military Radios working at the Rally ???
and what Fz are we going to use , I will have my PRC-77 up and running
I don't know-I know it is a small % of us that have fully functioning commo gear (I do not-when I say "we" I mean the hobby in general).

I suspect there will be a few but not many.

One big quick question. I will be driving my F-350 with a gooseneck in tow and I am wondering if there will be room to park it in the "base camp" area. We will probably not arrive until after dark Friday night. I will probably have to work as long as I can that day. We will be staying until Sunday morning now it looks like.

Second, how are we going to know who everybody is? There are a lot of people attending this year for the first time and I am already confused. I think name tags will go over like a lead ballon, but should we start a "what do you look like / GA rally people" thread? I don't mind posting a small picture of me and the ladies on here. I don't know how they will feel but we will all have to do a lot of introducing at this thing. Real names and user names will be a work out too.

Joe from Blythewood
AKA Blythewoodjoe:wink:
There will be plenty of room for your SuperDuty & trailer Joe. No sweat. I suspect we'll still be awake when you get there.

If you wanted to start a thread along the lines of "Ga. Rally-What do you look like?" that's fine with me. Or we could edit one of our posts in the main thread and add a picture........ I will probably delete the thread after the rally, since the site already has a larger overall "What do you guys look like" thread (linked below).

Keep in mind that pretty much the first thing we do at the campfire is go around the circle and introduce ourselves. 'Course, that doesn't do you any good until you get to the campfire.

I have considered a nametag of some sort so people can say "where is that idiot who put this goat rope together? OH, there he is!"

I'm curious, since many of us have never been to this rally, or any other rallies before, are you having any t-shirts like some of the others do???

I'm like Blythewoodjoe, it will be kind of overwhelming meeting a whole bunch of new people, and names/user ID's. But name tags to me seem so family reunion-ish...I say we just make a point to introduce ourselves and share an adult beverage with as many people as we can.

I did t-shirts last year and lost a lot of money, so I decided against it this year. I had waaaaay too many made...................................

I will have some left over 2008 event shirts (I still have a large supply) and will sell them at a discounted price to try and recoup some money (if I break even at this point I'll be happy).

Depending upon how this year's event goes, we may do shirts again for 2010.

Name tags: I am totally ambivalent. I can go either way. Whatever you guys want to do.

While we are on this discussion, here is the "what do you guys look like" thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/9661-so-what-do-you-guys-look-like.html

Last edited:

poppop

I think some kind of name tag would be good. I am real slow on remembering names and even though you tell who you are in five minutes I will not remember. That is with one person, now add 20 around the campfire and I am clueless. I may check in town this morning for some of those paper stick on tags and people can use them if they like. I have a name tag from my tractor club that I think I will wear, it does not have poppop on it but maybe will make it easier for people to remember me.

I picked up 300 cheap paper stick on name tags this morning. They will be available at the Rally for those folks that would like to use them. I think it would be a great help in the name learning process to be able to see who you are each time we talk.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd lke to request that anyone who has some extra folding tables and chairs bring them along.

Much thanks-C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a square fabricated table I can bring. Looks to be a half sheet of plywood. We can burn it Saturday night. I also have a machine at work that prints temporary name tags. I made personalized labels for all the folks I could remember and made an additional 50 that say "2009 Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally". There is space to put your name with a marker.

GamaGoatGirl

I just thought to call Durhamtown to check and see what meals would be available in their kitchen during the rally and they told me that lunch would be the only meal available on Thursday. On Friday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner would be available. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner would also be available on Saturday. On Sunday they have breakfast and lunch available. For more information - check their website at Bevelyn's Kitchen

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Amy, JW4x4 and Mike will be attending again. Both will be bunked at Mallards Nest 1 along with yours truly. Lets just hope we can generate enough fuel for JW to burn.

poppop

I have my duece bed half full of firewood. I don't know if I have room to bring the food I have promised. A lot of this wood is very seasoned and will burn very fast, I hope JW is out of magnesium so he doese'nt use up my wood so quickly.

Blythewoodjoe

OK guys, it's looks like I will not have the time I want to spend at the rally. So here's the question, if I just drive my M886 up after lunch on Saturday, will there be much going on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning? I realy need a break from work and a lot BS'in.

Joe

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you Florida boys won't freeze, here's the weather report:

Intellicast Detailed Extended Forecast for Union Point, GA
Thursday, 22 October - Cloudy High 73° Low 59°
A few thunderstorms possible. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 50s.
Sun Rise: 7:43 am Set: 6:50 pm
Moon Rise: 12:11 pm Set: 10:00 pm
UV Index: 4 (Moderate)
Relative Humidity: 75%
Precipitation Probability: 0%
Snow Probability: 0%
Cloud Coverage: 82%
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent
Wind Speed: 5Mph (8Km, 4Kts)
Wind Direction: 93° (E)

Friday, 23 October - Scattered Thunderstorms High 72° Low 58°
Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the upper 40s.
Sun Rise: 7:44 am Set: 6:49 pm
Moon Rise: 12:59 pm Set: 10:56 pm
UV Index: 5 (Moderate)
Relative Humidity: 82%
Precipitation Probability: 40%
Snow Probability: 8%
Cloud Coverage: 74%
Wind Speed: 7Mph (11Km, 6Kts)
Wind Direction: 137° (SE)

Saturday, 24 October - Few Showers High 62° Low 47°
Sunshine. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 40s.
Sun Rise: 7:45 am Set: 6:48 pm
Moon Rise: 1:41 pm Set: 11:53 pm
UV Index: 5 (Moderate)
Relative Humidity: 79%
Precipitation Probability: 30%
Snow Probability: 6%
Cloud Coverage: 52%
Wind Speed: 9Mph (14Km, 7Kts)
Wind Direction: 259° (W)

Sunday, 25 October - Sunny High 63° Low 46°
Showers possible. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 50s
Sun Rise: 7:45 am Set: 6:47 pm
Moon Rise: 2:18 pm Set: 12:01 am
UV Index: 6 (High)
Relative Humidity: 73%
Precipitation Probability: 10%
Snow Probability: 2%
Cloud Coverage: 16%
Wind Speed: 5Mph (8Km, 4Kts)
Wind Direction: 324° (NW)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks