• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2010 SS Ga Rally Info thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Que the Wagner-it’s time for the 2010 Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally (10SSGR)!

Please read this entire thread, as it should cover 99% of questions about the rally. Dates, location, lodging, activities, food, etc; it’s all here.

If you are unfamiliar with the SSGR, then check out the after action threads from the last few years:

2009: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/42451-new-2009-ga-rally-multimedia-thread.html
2008: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/26931-2008-ga-rally-multimedia-thread.html
2007: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/14448-offical-ga-ss-rally-multimedia-bs-thread.html

We have grown steadily over the years-the first year of an official rally (’07) we had 22 trucks-in ’09 we had 40 trucks, plus trailers and a fully functioning military kitchen trailer.

Here’s the important stuff:

1. Don’t start a bunch of new 10SSGR threads on your own-it’s confusing to members who are not computer or web forum proficient to have to get all their info from 5 different threads. We’ll cover convoy/travel ops, food, lodging and parts sales/wants here in a bit. You can’t get your feelings hurt if you create a new thread and I merge it with this one. You were warned.

2. Don’t call Durhamtown Plantation and ask about the Military Vehicle Rally-they don’t put on the SSGR on-we do. To Durhamtown, we are a bunch of guys who choose to come to their facility for a weekend of camping out and offroading. They see us as individual customers, not a group. If you call their front desk and ask about the military vehicle rally, you will likely get “We don’t put on a military vehicle rally, I don’t know what you are talking about” response.

UPDATE: The Assistant Operations/Race Coordinator, Lauren Clifton from Durhamtown contacted and told me that she is aware of our rally and will be happy to handle all 10SSGR reservations. So call her at 706.486.4603 and make sure to thank her for taking care of our rally attendees.

Ok, let’s get down to brass tacks.

The 10SSGR will be held October 20-24, 2010 at Durhamtown Plantation Offroad Park in Union Point, Ga. It is a 5 day event, although Wednesday and Thursday are lighter days, as attendees are still showing up and Sunday is light as everyone is packing up in the morning for their trips home. The bulk of the rally is Friday and Saturday. It is a rain or shine event so please be prepared accordingly.

The SSGR has vehicle displays, swap meet w/ vendors area, campfires and some outstanding offroading. The offroading is outstanding-very challenging and difficult places for the most adventurous of operators and easy, “trail rides” for those who are more cautious/conservative/inexperienced and everything in between. We have several highly experienced professional grade off roaders and recovery experts, so getting stuck isn’t an issue. One of the most important aspects of the SSGR has always been for it to be “all things to all people”-if you want to come to the rally and spend the entire weekend on the trails, you can. If you want to spend a relaxing weekend at camp looking at military vehicles, you can. There is no rule or expectation for attendees to do anything other than show up and have a good time.

Major points-

Durhamtown Plantation in Union Point, Ga. Durhamtown is a facility which has catered to the motocross and ATV markets for several years and a few years ago, they expanded to include a 1200 acre offroad park for the full sized vehicle market. Link to their website: Welcome. Please make sure you pay careful attention to their directions page (Directions ). See where it says “Using GPS or MapQuest will take you on unnecessary dirt roads! We recommend using our directions.”? Well, it’s the truth. This place is in a very rural area and it’s easy to get lost. Cell phone reception is very poor in this area so make sure you know exactly how to get there and make sure you have Durhamtown’s phone # so that if you get lost and you manage to get a signal you can call them.

The owner of the Durhamtown has greatly supported us in putting on our rally, allowing us into restricted areas and giving us greater hours of access to the trails, provided porta-potties in our field free of charge, given us our own, private fenced-in area for our rally and has even come over to our campfire to eat with us. All the employees of Durhamtown love having us there and are outstanding people. The enthusiasm we have received from everyone from the owner all the way down the chain has been nothing short of outstanding.

Lodging
You have several options at the SSGR: You can pitch a tent or sleep in your truck for a primitive camping fee of $15 per night for 3 people, $5 per additional person (I don’t know how this would work if you are by yourself; call Durhamtown for more details), you can rent an RV or a cabin from Durhamtown (fees vary, see their site for details) or you can bring your own camper (they do have electric, water and sanitation hookups for RVs). Please see the Durhamtown website with any questions you have about lodging. Again, when you contact Durhamtown for lodging reservations (not needed for primitive camping), simply tell them you need to rent whatever it is you are renting and on which dates-if you tell them you are there for the military vehicle rally, they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Activities
SSGR attendees have every component of a military vehicle rally they could want-camping, social get-together in the evenings around a huge campfire, offroading of every variety, vendors selling parts and accessories, vehicle displays and an authentic Military Kitchen trailer (MKT) providing hot breakfasts, lunches and dinners for very reasonable prices. There is no set schedule for SSGR activities-the basic setup of the rally has been a short, 1-3 hour trailride in the mornings, go back to camp for lunch, then a several hour excursion on the trails, then back to the camp for dinner . We may do a post-dinner trailride this year, as the night trailrides have been very popular. We tried having a rigid schedule the first year and the complexity of getting everyone together proved to be overwhelming. So now it is more of a free-flow schedule.

Organization
This year, we are going to attempt to have 2-5 “detachments” (working title) who will help smoothe out ruffles. Think of them as “Points of Contact” between the Rally Leader and attendees. One who will manage just the trailriding aspect, one who will manage interaction between the rally and Durhamtown, one who will manage rally attendee questions and problems (the guy next to me snores too loud, can I get a better parking spot, can I get some electricity and water over to my truck, etc.). Anyone who wants to volunteer for these jobs can at any time PM me. Please do not be offended if you do not get chosen, as I can find plenty of ways to put you to work. The trailride master will be none other than SS member Squirt-Truck (Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - View Profile: Squirt-Truck) and his assistant will be SS member Dumpster (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/Dumpster).html.

Costs
Your only costs will be lodging (camping or rental fees), food (if you eat at Durhamtown’s excellent café or the MKT) and the offroad park access fees. Offroad park access fees are described on Durhamtown’s site. There is no admission fee the rally. So if you can only come one day and you are not offroading, you will encounter no fees. If you ride with another person in their vehicle, there is a small fee (I think $5 per day).

Weather:
The last 6 years weather on this weekend:
2009 temps: 51/80
2008 temps: 46/61
2007 temps: 59/77
2006 temps: 32/59
2005 temps: 48/65
2004 temps: 56/67
Please prepare accordingly-the weather could be perfect Southern fall weather, requiring nothing more than a t-shirt or it could be very chilly and rainy. At night around the campfire, you will likely want some kind of a jacket and perhaps hat, gloves, etc.

Food & drink
You can bring our own food, eat at Durhamtown’s excellent café which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner or you can eat at our fully functioning Military Kitchen trailer. The MKT will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The prices are very low as well (comparable to fast food prices). The MKT also had tea and coffee. There are not any restaurants nearby other than Durhamtown’s café, so please make sure you have a plan! The menu and suggested prices are as follows:

Breakfast - Eggs (scrambled and over easy), bacon (maybe ham or sausage too), grits, biscuits, SOS, and if Walter gets froggy, French Toast and pancakes. Estimated cost $3 per person. Served Thursday through Sunday, with Sunday being leftovers also.

Lunch - brown bag, U-fixum, with a pair of cold cuts sandwiches, chips, cookies, fruit (apple or banana) and bottled water. We will send tea and coolaid (but not in Gimpy's truck) to supplement the drinks. A hot lunch of some sort will be made for those staying behind with the gear in camp. Estimated cost $4 per person. Served Thursday through Saturday.

Supper - Wednesday and Thursday nights probably hamburgers or something similar with side dishes and a salad. Friday night will be chili mac (in honor of papabear and the CAMO Crew) with fixings. Saturday night is the biggie (No, we're not going whole hog, that would be too much) with steaks and trimmings (french fries or baked potato, beans, yams, etc.) Estimated costs W & Th $4, F -$5, Sat - $6. Not quite as good as the prime rib we had at the FL rally, but a whole lot better than cold beanie weenies!

There is a thread on the food component of the rally, it can be found here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/42680-2010-ga-rally-food-service.html

Communications:
Durhamtown is in a rural area and cell phone reception is spotty at best. This year we are going to attempt to put together some basic communications operations using surplus military equipment so that people out on the trails can communicate with the people back at the camp. At this time there is a thread where members are trying to hash out the details (see thread here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/53275-commo-gear-ga-rally.html ) If you are knowledgeable about short range military/civilian commo gear and wish to assist please post on the thread and the commo master (SS member tennmogger) will put you to work. We also plan to have a functioning PA system at the rally like we had in 2009 so that people can be alerted to the food being ready and trail ride departures.

Convoy and travel ops:
People come to the SSGR from all over-Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia and everywhere in between. If you are interested in meeting up with others and coming in together, please post (in this thread) where you are leaving from and when. If there is enough interest in a “convoy to the SSGR thread” I will start one and I will link to it from this thread. I am really trying to keep most of the rally information in one place-we don’t need 5 threads for one rally.

There is now a convoy thread covering people who are coming from Alabama, Louisiana, etc. It can be found here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/54955-north-alabama-convoy-ga-rally.html

The information regarding the convoy from Florida can be found here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/57414-florida-convoy-thread.html

Parts wanted/for sale/swap meet thread:
As opposed to having a thread where we discuss the rally (this one), a separate thread where we discuss what parts we are bringing to sell and what we want to buy and another thread where we discuss convoy ops and travel directions/times, what I’d prefer would be for all this to be here on this thread. If you plan on coming to the rally, your post could read something like “Hey, I plan on leaving on Oct. 20 from Loxahatchee, Florida; zip code 12345 at about Noon if anyone wants to meet up. I will be bringing 5 gallons of Gillespie 383 paint for sale or trade and I am looking for fiberglass dropside troop seats for a Deuce”.

20-September-2010- EDIT: There is now a thread for parts wanted/for sale/swap meet. Since some members had already posted their lists on this thread, you will need to read both threads in order to have a complete idea of what's coming for sale and what's needed by other members.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/57440-2010-ga-rally-buy-sell-trade-thread.html

FAQ:
Is the rally child and animal friendly?
Yes-but as in all aspects of life, please show consideration for others. Aggressive dogs or constant barkers should be managed in a respectful way and poorly behaved children will be drafted into cleaning mud out of tire treads. The SSGR is a family friendly affair, so behave accordingly.

How many people will be there?

It’s safe to say we should have over 150 attendees and at least 40 military vehicles, plus trailers. Last year’s turnout was over 50 vehicles if you count trailers.

Do I have to be a member of
www.steelsoldiers.com to attend? What if I don’t own a (or can’t bring my) vehicle?
No, you have to be interested in the historic military vehicle hobby! If you do not have a vehicle, this isn’t a problem. We can probably even find someone to let you ride with on the trails if you wish to go.

Parts for sale/wanted/vendors/separate threads for parts

If you have parts you are looking for or parts you are bringing to sell, please post them in this thread. If this thread gets to be too long (as determined by me), I will break it out and create a new thread.

Is there electricity at the rally?

Yes and no. One of our attendees does rent an RV spot so he can pull power for his MKT, but there is a limit. Some members bring generators, you may be able to convince someone to let you use theirs. If you have a consistent need for electricity (a/c units, etc.) you may be well served bringing your own generator. One member is planning on bringing a large generator to supply power for attendees but that is dependent upon him finishing it.

Do I need to bring firewood?
YES!!!!!!! Bring an entire forest! We can not have enough. Gimpy and Jerry like a BIG campfire. Let's give it to 'em. :D

It shouldn’t have to be said, but it does:

The website www.steelsoldiers.com and/or Durhamtown Plantation, nor any person acting in conjunction with those entities will be held liable for any injuries to anyone attending the SSGR or damage to personal/private property during the SSGR. All persons accept this personal responsibility and release www.steelsoldiers.com and their agents (rally organizers, volunteers, etc.) and/or Durhamtown Plantation and their agents (employees, etc.) from any liability resulting from injury or damages to property by attending the rally. Attendance at the rally is and will be understood to signify acceptance of these terms.​

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on moving in on Wednesday with the MKT, probably early afternoon. First meal on Wednesday night! We have actually reserved RV spots 64 and 65 for power since we could not run everything at the same time in 2009 (PA system, freezer, refrigerator and MKT) with just one. Hope to be in the same spot as 2009, but with dining slightly up-hill from the MKT.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My plan is to bring my inflatable shelter (not to be confused with my inflatable date) for use as a dining tent. If anyone has folding tables and chairs they can lend please bring them.
It is a bummner trying to balance a heaping plate of poss.........errrrr.....Chili Mac on your lap while juggling a drink and silverware.
Mike and I will get together shortly and get the menu and prices set. Last year I think we managed to keep most meals around 3 bucks (but I am prone to CRS). If we decide to have a special meal such as steak or other high dollar fare we will adjust fire accordingly.
We look forward to providing a good spread for all attendees.

ARYankee

Sounds like fun :) I'll probably leave out of Benton , AR that Wed. the 20th @ around 8 or 9 am. I'm sure plans will change between now and then. I would be up for some convoy action with anyone leaving out from the area or any one that I can meet along the way. If you guys need some donations or an extra helper, let me know and I will see what I can do. I do have a question and that would be what about some souvenir T-Shirts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, make a contribution here if you can. Most people bring a few folding chairs and that is great. They can even be toted over to the dining area and utilized there. I plan on making up some crude tables using 2x4 and plywood I have around here. If a few more folks can scrape up some dunnage and make up some cheap tables, that would greatly help. Last year mine were burned IIRC and that was fine with me. Just be mindful that 10% of the people do 90% of the work and a lending hand anywhere is greatly appreciated. The rally is growing and the 10% are working harder than ever. Lend a hand with dishes or whatever, just help us put on a good event for all to enjoy.

Ideas;

I'd like to see folks mark their vehicle with their screen name. Makes the pics much easier to identify with. White shoe polish on the glass is great or get more creative.

Entry pics. I'm going to try to get pics of attendees and their vehicles this year. If I don't catch you, find me or better yet, self portrait and post it. Again, those not in attendance will find it hard to associate folks from raw pics.

Group pics. We have neglected to do this in the past. Saturday morning would be the best time and I'd like to see if we can make this happen.

Name tags. I can print out a bunch of these at work. Somewhere we need to get a list going so that I can do this. I will also provide some blanks and a marker so that those that are missed (I'm human) can be self fabricated.

Now that the word is out, make reservations if you need a cabin or trailer. I made mine months ago so dont wait for the last week.

ARYankee

I have a roll of 250 green name tags that we could use. I can bring some chairs and I have a small folding table. I may also be able to gather up another table or some dunnage for one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job organizing this event Clinto!

With so many participants now, do you have a "first aid station" in your plans or did I miss reading about it?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"It's Over 9000!!!!" LOL!! rofl

Btw the chart is off, it states 2009 twice.
I didn't make the chart-someone in the chatbox did. You can complain at the rally. :D

A note about the temps, is the 2009 information backwards? Neither a low of 80 nor a high of 51 sound good to me!
Corrected-thanks.

I'm planning on moving in on Wednesday with the MKT, probably early afternoon. First meal on Wednesday night! We have actually reserved RV spots 64 and 65 for power since we could not run everything at the same time in 2009 (PA system, freezer, refrigerator and MKT) with just one. Hope to be in the same spot as 2009, but with dining slightly up-hill from the MKT.
You guys will have the same spot and the dining area you wish for.

I do have a question and that would be what about some souvenir T-Shirts?
I had not planned on making shirts-I did in 2008 and ended up with so many unsold.........well, it wasn't a winning proposition. If a person wanted to take on this project, we could probably work something out. You design it, get it approved by me, sell em and split the profit with the rally (to pay for food). Anyone interested, pm me.

Folks, make a contribution here if you can. Most people bring a few folding chairs and that is great. They can even be toted over to the dining area and utilized there. I plan on making up some crude tables using 2x4 and plywood I have around here. If a few more folks can scrape up some dunnage and make up some cheap tables, that would greatly help. Last year mine were burned IIRC and that was fine with me. Just be mindful that 10% of the people do 90% of the work and a lending hand anywhere is greatly appreciated. The rally is growing and the 10% are working harder than ever. Lend a hand with dishes or whatever, just help us put on a good event for all to enjoy.

Ideas;

1. I'd like to see folks mark their vehicle with their screen name. Makes the pics much easier to identify with. White shoe polish on the glass is great or get more creative.

2. Entry pics. I'm going to try to get pics of attendees and their vehicles this year. If I don't catch you, find me or better yet, self portrait and post it. Again, those not in attendance will find it hard to associate folks from raw pics.

3. Group pics. We have neglected to do this in the past. Saturday morning would be the best time and I'd like to see if we can make this happen.

4. Name tags. I can print out a bunch of these at work. Somewhere we need to get a list going so that I can do this. I will also provide some blanks and a marker so that those that are missed (I'm human) can be self fabricated.

5. Now that the word is out, make reservations if you need a cabin or trailer. I made mine months ago so dont wait for the last week.
Yes, anyone who can bring chairs, tables, etc and let them be used communally will be our new best friend. Please mark them with your name so you can identify them when packing up to leave.

ANY help a member is willing to provide will be appreciated. Simple stuff from picking up trash to helping clean up stuff with the MKT guys (dishes, etc.), etc., is highly appreciated. It takes a lot of work to put this on and make it run smooth and it's only due to the hard work of the volunteers that the last couple of years have been so successful.

1. Great idea.
2. Another great idea.
3. This is something I've always wanted to do and have never been able to. It's hard to get everyone together, especially when people show up and unload all their stuff and their vehicles may be "landlocked" for the duration of the show.
4. I really appreciate the name tags you made last year and in the fast paced atmosphere of the rally, I just plain never got around to passing them out. I apologize-it wasn't that I didn't appreciate it, I just couldn't force 25 hours of stuff in a 24 hour day. We'll definitely get them put to use this year. :D
5. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clintogf and I have already reserved the mallard's nest cabin next to Kenny. And they will sell out fast so if you are coming and you aren't camping, you better do it soon.

I have a roll of 250 green name tags that we could use.
Get with Recovry4x4 and you guys can coordinate a name tag plan.

Haspin is BETTER!
You won't be saying this in October. And if you are, you won't be once we duct tape you to a tree upside down.

Good job organizing this event Clinto!

With so many participants now, do you have a "first aid station" in your plans or did I miss reading about it?
Much thanks. I wrote and re-wrote the original post a dozen times trying to get everything in and it not be a 3-hour read. As is, it's waaay longer than I'd prefer but how else do you cover everything you need to cover?

A First Aid Station is a great idea and one I had not considered. Is there someone here who can head that up? If I give you an area next to the HQ tent, can you provide what a first aid station would need?

airmech3839

I am going to try and be there on Wed. and leave Augusta around lunch. My plans may change but we will be primitive camping and I will have two boys and a dog.. I can bring some tables and chairs.. I will try and collect some firewood as well by then.. If someone has a 105 I can borrow I should be able to load it full at the quarry with good lumber for the fire.. My buddy works there and we go in and cut down a bunch when we go.. I am gonna make it this year!!!

I was thinking of a small stencil of my screen name on the doors of my truck .... should make it easier to identify the truck at least..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Airmech.....you might want to touch base with SCSG-G4 (Mike) he is in Columbia, SC and will prob be headed your way Wed....always safety in numbers.

If (and it is a big if) I can pull my big van trailer I plan to park it right at the gate and use it as a check in point. That way we can keep a better count of how many folks and vehicles attend.

I also plan to bring my laptop so we can post menus and other information on a bulletin board.

We also want to make sure vendors are notified that they are more than welcome at this event. If you know someone that has MV related stuff to sell (individual or company) give them the contact info so they can coordinate with Clinto. Vendors will get prime real estate to set up on.

Since the advance party will get there Wed I am going to see if we can get Durhamtown to bushhog the entire area to knock down the high grass and scatter the "meadow muffins".

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are some really beautiful stretches of straight trail out in the woods and I'd like to try and get some good shots (and video) out in the woods like we did in 2007.

Attachments

phil2968

Myself, wife with 2 boys and my brother, rbeasley66 will be leaving from Lakeland Florida on Wednesday morning early. We will pick up I-75 just south of the Fl turnpike. I am bringing my M109 pulling his M105 trailer. We will trail ride in our "new" M35 that is already in Ga.

I have a 6 ft. table and some chairs I will bring.

I have a complete working heater from the box on the 109, the lights and converter box that I will put up for sale or trade. I also have all the inside sheet metal (rust free) that I can bring if anyone is interested.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be leaving Hiawassee in North Georgia Thursday morning in my M35A2 and pulling my M105A2 trailer. I'll bring a large load of firewood. Anyone interested in a convoy from North Georgia, please let me know. I'll bring a fold-up table and six chairs as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, I think I'm going to shoot for Wildwood Tuesday night. If all goes well, we can meet up Wed morning. Are all of you piling in the M109 or is there a second vehicle going? I'll be in the crusty M35A2C toting a pair of M116A3 trailers.

phil2968

Phil, I think I'm going to shoot for Wildwood Tuesday night. If all goes well, we can meet up Wed morning. Are all of you piling in the M109 or is there a second vehicle going? I'll be in the crusty M35A2C toting a pair of M116A3 trailers.

The wife and boys will be in the Wrangler bringing up the back door. Unless she talks my brother in to driving it for her!

Meeting in wildwood sounds like a plan, we'll be there in time to grab some breakfast!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks