• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the first rally I'll just come to get to know the place. Maybe the next one.

It's a 631 miles trip from my house to Drew's then to the rally. I'm gonna baby her this trip, and start collecting spare parts for the next.

I have a reputation of getting stuck, no denying.
You can't get stuck any worse than Ferro, and we have managed to get him out each time.
There is no fuel at Durhamtown, and the nearest is 8 or so miles away in Union Point. However, it will be expensive until you get to I 20. There is also no food at DT, unless you bring it, eat at the MKT, or use DT's little greasy spoon. The DT place is expensive in my opinion, and the menu is limited.

The nice thing about the Ga Rally is that you can be a busy as you wish, or as relaxed as you wish. Some folks show up, and never leave the compound until it's time to go home. Others barely have the time to lay down to sleep, the are so busy. There will be little groups that stay together, and you can come up and swap lies all day with them. The registration tent is one of those places, as is the group around my campsite. One of the vendors sets out a bunch of chairs, and you can go and spend time with him also, and listen to his tales of the surplus world. It sounds like a deuce will be getting a motor swap, so that is also a good place to hang out, and learn what not to do. I am also pretty sure that the guys swapping the motor will also have the tool throwing contest, and that can be entertaining also.

Load up the wife, bring a change of clothes, and come on over..............

ke5eua

Thank you all for your replies.

I've pretty much figured out what I need to bring, get, have on me.

I'll make sure I top off before I get to the rally.

As far as trail ride, I'm going to get a driver band and play it by ear.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The last meal the MKT serves is breakfast Sunday morning. If there is leftover stuff we make to go "doggie bags" and give them out. We then have a "hey you" to get everything packed and to get as much stuff washed as possible. I know Mike must bust his butt when he gets home having to do a thorough cleaning on the MKT and Sanitary Unit.
I just got the transfer case in the M923A2 swapped out and I feel like have have been beaten. One of my buddies gave me a free 5th wheel to convert it to a tractor so I won't be doing the "wiggle wagon" thing this year with the tow dolly. On the plus side I have a dropside bed to sell.

ke5eua

Well the wife confirmed she is going to come up. Gonna call and modify the reservation for the weekend. Basically it boiled down to if we didn't get the house down here she would come up and the week after we would go house shopping in Augusta area.

Edit:

Wife and kids are coming the entire trip. Glad she told me as I was changing the reservation. Staying in DP #6 now.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry Mike about driving off road. If you were going to Haspin then you would have a problem. You can get stuck or broke almost everywhere off the main trail.

DT is more like driving on a bad driveway. When in doubt, don't follow Ferro.

ke5eua

Is that dog pound # 6
I guess, just said DP#6 on the site and my reservation. Has TV/DVD/SAT, sure the kids will appreciate that when they get bored. These little Home Depot shed houses give me ideas, lol

Don't worry Mike about driving off road. If you were going to Haspin then you would have a problem. You can get stuck or broke almost everywhere off the main trail.

DT is more like driving on a bad driveway. When in doubt, don't follow Ferro.
I might go on a trail, nothing to serious though.

Whiterabbit

Oh there is always something to do, see, or going on. This is quite the event.
I always feel there isn't enough time to see and do everything and I usually show up on Thurs mid day. I'm thinking of coming Wed just to have some extra time!

ke5eua

Oh there is always something to do, see, or going on. This is quite the event.
I always feel there isn't enough time to see and do everything and I usually show up on Thurs mid day. I'm thinking of coming Wed just to have some extra time!
As much as I try to get my kids to spend time outside, sometimes the tv sucks them back in really quick.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last meal the MKT serves is breakfast Sunday morning. If there is leftover stuff we make to go "doggie bags" and give them out. We then have a "hey you" to get everything packed and to get as much stuff washed as possible. I know Mike must bust his butt when he gets home having to do a thorough cleaning on the MKT and Sanitary Unit.
I just got the transfer case in the M923A2 swapped out and I feel like have have been beaten. One of my buddies gave me a free 5th wheel to convert it to a tractor so I won't be doing the "wiggle wagon" thing this year with the tow dolly. On the plus side I have a dropside bed to sell.
WM,
Have you started a thread on that tractor conversion yet? If so, what's the link look like, Sir?
Thank you.

I love kids...make sure you bring them by the CAMO AO so I can corrupt them with sweets and such.:papabear:
For those bringing children:
PapaBear is good people. He is indeed a trusted soul and not a wolf-in-bear's-clothing. Your children will be safe and secure with him, his wife and their baby bear. To the best of this Chaplain's knowledge, he has never eaten any children, and most are returned to their parents better than he received them.
As much as we harass him, he is absolutely trusted and solid in every way. He's a real blessing to us all.

I have it on the good authority of prior years' Rally participants.

Thank you PapaBear for being that sort of man who is one in a million and willing to be part of this addicted bunch of misfits.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, DP6 is right across the street from the lodge. I looked at it on the site and saw no mention of SAT service to it. Hope they mentioned it on your reservation. I've seen it but never been inside. Now, if you and the fam are wandering around the rally site during the day and need to scamper back to the cabin to grab something, feel free to seek out my golf cart if you can find it. Cabins are about 7/10th of a mile from the actual field we use.

ke5eua

Mike, DP6 is right across the street from the lodge. I looked at it on the site and saw no mention of SAT service to it. Hope they mentioned it on your reservation. I've seen it but never been inside. Now, if you and the fam are wandering around the rally site during the day and need to scamper back to the cabin to grab something, feel free to seek out my golf cart if you can find it. Cabins are about 7/10th of a mile from the actual field we use.
Thanks. Looking at the reservation I think Stephens apartment is the one that had sat but wasn't available the entire rally.

Never less the kids need to unplug as much as me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126876-Official-2014-SS-Georgia-Rally-Info-SSGR14-thread&p=1596092&viewfull=1#post1596092

Folks, if you missed this post, please have a looksee. If you would like one of these lanyards, please refer back to that post listed above and click thanks so I make sure I have enough. Also, I have OD, foliage, navy blue and bright yellow cord. Attached is a sample of what we will have this year!
View attachment 512553
OK, but I couldn't click "Thanks" 10 times...does not matter what color.:clinto: