• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We made it back around 5pm Alabama time. Had an incident coming through Cedartown, GA. One of the fiberglass racks fell off the truck and was hit by a lady going south. We stopped and made sure she was OK and called the local LEO's. Got her car patched up enough to drive and filed a claim with Progressive (of course it was a Caddy) . I guess we'll see how good of insurance it is.
When I arrived home found out that the right rear tire was leaking badly but at least we didn't have to call road service.
Murphy has a sense of humor.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we went in three different directions between the two of us. Marty made it safe to Greensboro NC with the 1009, I made it to Houston via Delta, and my banged up truck made it to Andyrv6av8r house in SC. Thanks again Andy for helping me out on my short notice change of plans.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, this is the first time I've had internet access since Tuesday night.

Let's carry the pictures and general rally conversation over to the multimedia thread. This thread is for the information about the rally.

Multimedia thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...014-SS-Georgia-Rally-Multimedia-SSGR14-thread

When we have a chance to catch our breath we will probably move some of these posts over to the multimedia thread. If your post is moved, don't be offended.

ke5eua

Ok, this is the first time I've had internet access since Tuesday night.

Let's carry the pictures and general rally conversation over to the multimedia thread. This thread is for the information about the rally.

Multimedia thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...014-SS-Georgia-Rally-Multimedia-SSGR14-thread

When we have a chance to catch our breath we will probably move some of these posts over to the multimedia thread. If your post is moved, don't be offended.
I'm already offended, where's the report button, lol

I'm so disappointed I wasn't able to make it. Hopefully next years is within a year so I can use my credit at d-town.

gametender

I would just like to say that driving in a convoy and looking in the mirror only to see a line of Mv's is truly a great sight. I had a lot of fun and look forward to many fun times to come.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... And Tigger, looking down from heaven along side God Almighty, watched as HE also looked down upon what had been created at Durhamtown. And Tigger with his own ears heard the voice of God bellow, "IT IS GOOD!"

Tigger's organizing a grand rally and convoy up there. There is a place for each of us in it. "Earn this."

Thank you all for sharing in this info thread. We'll see y'all in the Multimedia thread....

Signing off.

profo

Just made it back 12 hrs would like to say thanks to everyone and especially to Kenny whoever you are for showing me my cabin at 8:30 at night on wens day and also to my new friends the coffee shop crew Tim/Pam and Tony/Nancy and Joe who finally figured how to fix a horn sorry had to through that in.

Whiterabbit

Thanks Dumpster and Squirt-Truck for all your hard work on the trail rides. Wished we could have attended more of them, maybe next yr the CP will be more informed and organized and a little more helpful.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great event! it was nice meeting everyone and putting faces to screen names.

Thanks to all who got goodies from me and for some reason I was way more full on the way back :) Not sure how that happened?

Many thanks to all who were behind the scenes making it go.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The wife and I made it home, then back to D-town to pick up the deuce and M105 we had to leave behind and back home again with only a minor hiccup with the deuce. The bolts I put in place of the studs i broke on the top of the left knuckle last year, started backing out and the steering kept getting sloppier and sloppier. I stopped to check on things and got a 1/4 turn out of the 3 bolts and about 3/4 turn out of the one stud that I didn't break last year. I swear the steering on a deuce is gonna be the death of me.

Smokinyoda

First let me say I had a blast! Saw so many great trucks, and interesting people my head is still spinning. And that hardball convoy was awesome! I enjoyed every minute of seeing a deuce in my rear view mirror.

Gotta say though my first visit was not what I expected. Here are a few of my observances, please no one take any offense, as these are just my thoughts.

Upon arriving at the registration tent my wife and I were greeted with a gruff "you cant park here, staff only." Not a "welcome to the rally, im whatchamacallit, glad to meet you". I realize many people probably made our same mistake by parking near the tent, and he was probably tired of repeating himself... but all the signs did point here to register. Gotta thank Kenny (recovery4x4), he was very nice and helpful as he made our badges. Second thing was there was no published info, or verbal info for that matter. A simple pamphlet listing trail ride times, meal times, etc would have been nice. Not necessary but nice. I would have gladly donated $1 for that on top of the lanyard. We stayed in Durhamtown lodging so we kept having to run back and forth to try and stay in the loop on what was happening. Unfortunately never did get to eat at the MKT.

I realize this probably sounds like whining, but I dont wear my heart on my sleeve. My wife however, upon hearing how great this bunch of people are, was a little put off and I found myself covering and didnt know why. So I decided to make these points public for the next bunch. I am not complaining, just putting this out there as a possible improvement on next years Rally to maybe help other newcomers to not feel so lost and confused.

Now since that has been said... I have to say this was the best weekend I have had in a long time... and I thank all the staff and volunteers who made this great event possible!

ke5eua

The wife and I made it home, then back to D-town to pick up the deuce and M105 we had to leave behind and back home again with only a minor hiccup with the deuce. The bolts I put in place of the studs i broke on the top of the left knuckle last year, started backing out and the steering kept getting sloppier and sloppier. I stopped to check on things and got a 1/4 turn out of the 3 bolts and about 3/4 turn out of the one stud that I didn't break last year. I swear the steering on a deuce is gonna be the death of me.
I replaced all the studs on the 818 with bolts and put red loctite on it and used the impact to torque them. Just made it back to temple in the 818 and after you mentioning they back out I will be sure to check them tomorrow.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we went in three different directions between the two of us. Marty made it safe to Greensboro NC with the 1009, I made it to Houston via Delta, and my banged up truck made it to Andyrv6av8r house in SC. Thanks again Andy for helping me out on my short notice change of plans.
The wife and I had fun driving a pair of 5 tons home Pat. We followed a truck full of small kids whose arms are probably sore from all of the waving in Greenwood! Just give me a bit of notice and Carrie-ann will pick you up at the airport to bring you here.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Second thing was there was no published info, or verbal info for that matter. A simple pamphlet listing trail ride times, meal times, etc would have been nice.
I agree with you 110%. The PA was down for a large part of the time, and unfortunately those of us at the registration desk were also starved for information. Traditionally the responsible parties would have the announcements made over the PA, and enough people had the information that the word got out. There was a need for a backup communication plan, and we didn't have one. I will personally take on the task of a flyer with appropriate times/plans in it. As next year gets closer I will work with the leaders of certain activities to ensure we have a comprehensive overview(of course always subject to change based on current events) and have those available.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the odds were kind of against us to communicate this year. As mentioned, the PA system handles the brunt of it. The problem with a flyer would be the fact that there's no exact timeline when it comes to the rides and MKT. And as sure as you printed it, something would change.

I would say if we're ever in a point where we have no PA, perhaps we should bring along a dry erase board. That way the trail leads and MKT can update things for all to see.

TMNT

Well, the odds were kind of against us to communicate this year. As mentioned, the PA system handles the brunt of it. The problem with a flyer would be the fact that there's no exact timeline when it comes to the rides and MKT. And as sure as you printed it, something would change.

I would say if we're ever in a point where we have no PA, perhaps we should bring along a dry erase board. That way the trail leads and MKT can update things for all to see.
I was thinking about the dry erase board idea as well, Drew. That way people could just walk up and see the plan for at least the next few hours, without having to chase down someone that might have an answer about dinner or the next trail ride.

What about having the "key people," registration, CO, XO, trail leaders, etc. wear special colored T-Shirts or arm-bands so they can be more easily identified by newcomers?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it changes, however an overall plan helps keep all on track with goals. We can talk some more, but no reason not to have a schedule. I did note that changes were likely.

Something simple like 9:00, 14:00, 20:00 for trail rides. They never leave early, so it might just involve someone waiting, but at least there is some ideas of when. Same with MKT, I'm sure Mike has goals and we could publish them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks