• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ongoing Log Of My 1987 HMMWV

Gamble

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you lived on the farm. For those distances you're absolutely going to be happier with a 4 speed.

Added bonus... You now will have a PARK gear, so no more E-brake and no more chocks on the wheels.

Either 4L80e or 700R4 is awesome.

I went 700R4 (765R4) as it is NOT electrical and has no limp mode. It works until it don't. 700R4's have been on trucks for decades. The drive shafts also line up and don't need to be swapped BUT you need an adapter to fit the transfer case. You also need to properly set up the kick down cable or else you will need a rebuild in like 1 mile (no exaggeration).

RWH will endorse the 4L80e and feels it is better. That might be a more soup to nuts without fabrication, but I just don't know.

I'm super happy, but that is only after a short test drive. There are still a few more small things being serviced. I cannot comment on durability or quirky behavior.

[EDIT - I purchased from Bowtie Overdrives in California, and they are helpful 100% of the way. They also have a kit that needs some minor customization BUT it is almost soup to nuts. They customized for what I wanted, including a bulletproof strong tranny that shifts softly and not like a 1/4 mile dragster. I am not affiliated with them but they seem solid so I'm recommending them.]
I am interested in how your RAAMS mobile door installation progresses as I am having a challenging time getting a shop out here to take that on.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove highway speed and wow, didn’t need noise canceling headphones. Hits 60 comfortably on flat roads. I didn’t push faster yet. Feels like she wants to hit at least 65 easily. Engine noise is markedly improved. Shifting is comfortable. Crisp not harsh, but I designed it that way.

Developed a loud rattle when stopped at lights post new tranny, so I gotta look to see what is loose and vibrating.

Doors will be next. Probably will do myself. First fitment then electrics.

Gamble

I drove highway speed and wow, didn’t need noise canceling headphones. Hits 60 comfortably on flat roads. I didn’t push faster yet. Feels like she wants to hit at least 65 easily. Engine noise is markedly improved. Shifting is comfortable. Crisp not harsh, but I designed it that way.

Developed a loud rattle when stopped at lights post new tranny, so I gotta look to see what is loose and vibrating.

Doors will be next. Probably will do myself. First fitment then electrics.
Please document your door process as I need to do them myself as many of the more popular big name shops we've all heard of are backing out of doing mine even after providing me with a quote. :(

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gamble,

Sometimes people back out due to technical issues, and sometimes they back out due to the way the customer presents himself.

Carefully consider the approach you took. Be introspective.

I will help as best I can.

Best,

T

Gamble

Gamble,

Sometimes people back out due to technical issues, and sometimes they back out due to the way the customer presents himself.

Carefully consider the approach you took. Be introspective.

I will help as best I can.

Best,

T
You're goofy. Lol.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New 765R4 in. Works great. Gets me up to 65MPH on mild inclines. Holds speed well. Vehicle is aligned well and holds the road steadily like a champ.

So that’s when the other shoe dropped.

I had a great time driving and then got to work to find engine oil leaking. The engine oil cooler is pitted with rust and starred to leak. Leak is on the driver’s side.

I PM’ed RWH and 86humv and they have none available.

Given I live in a high rust area, and these failed with rust and corrosion, I will at least temporarily go aftermarket Aluminum. I will need to use multiple smaller units to make up for the size of the Oil and tranny cooler units in my M1025A1.

I’ll swap out engine and tranny coolers with temporary aftermarket, and wait for the proper ones to become available.

For a brief minute there my rig with the new 4 speed tranny was amazingly fun to drive. Acceptable acceleration off the line to 30MPH, great highway speed, and almost quiet enough to hold a conversation because the engine is not screaming to hold highway speed.

As I had been warned, the heater unit sucks. I will deal with that maybe next week by first examining all the heat carrying “paper” tube lines to ensure they are intact. After that I guess a new better core might be needed as described by other owners here on ST.SO.

Attachments

Last edited:

MattNC

I did a little investigating on my heater core and lines and made a few updates that helped. Taking the dash off the line was not only completely falling apart but also had various insect nests from 30 years in Louisiana especially mud daubers. I got generic heater hose from amazon that was the right size and put it back together and also brushed and vacuumed the dust off the core. I also siliconed the vent shut that dumps the heat to the feet area of the passenger. This helped a lot. Next I made sure the heater core valve could open all the way. The line was a bit stiff and some adjusting helped make it open fully. I also flushed the core to get junk out. Last was the "intake" for the heater comes in from outside and my hmmwv gets plenty of leaks of fresh air coming in and I didn't need any more. You can shut the vent to the outside down by your feet on the passenger side but then you restrict the flow. I shut the vent and took the rubber boot device off so it just recircs air in the cab. Everything is better now. Windows defog quickly, and the cab is downright bearable in a hoody driving with it in the 20's outside at night.

MattNC

I'll also add if it makes you feel any better that just when I thought I was caught up on maintenance two front hub seals started leaking and the fuel pump started to drip diesel. I got all the parts ready and a guy on fleabay I thought I bought three individual hub rebuild kits for $60 total actually sent me enough NOS to rebuild three total hmmwvs (12 kits) for $60 so I guess I'm good.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the 4-speed TOBASH and commiserations on the oil cooler. I look forward to your usual excellent documentation on the heater core R/R. Mine needs to be replaced and our rigs are similar vintage.
BDGR

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Proper parts ordered for engine oil and tranny oil and power steering coolers. Also decided to order a new radiator at the same time. I got a brass turbo unit to allow for the future Whipple. A new stack should be cooler and more robust.

A very big thanks to Action! You really helped me with the info!

Next week I will tear into the heating stuff. Thanks Action AND MattNC for great information on that stuff!!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Proper parts ordered for engine oil and tranny oil and power steering coolers. Also decided to order a new radiator at the same time. I got a brass turbo unit to allow for the future Whipple. A new stack should be cooler and more robust.

A very big thanks to Action! You really helped me with the info!

Next week I will tear into the heating stuff. Thanks Action AND MattNC for great information on that stuff!!!
I’m assuming you know you will need an ECV radiator shroud to mount that turbo radiator correct?
along with an ECV snout, frame rail expensions and a new Hood.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m assuming you know you will need an ECV radiator shroud to mount that turbo radiator correct?
along with an ECV snout, frame rail expensions and a new Hood.
After receiving your sage and well timed comments I checked my bank account and decided to downgrade to the regular radiator unit. With the saved moneys I purchased a water pump because I’ll be in there anyways.

As always, thanks Steve!

T

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New engine oil/tranny oil cooler/power steering cooler/and radiator are in.

Leaks currently all dealt with and she drives well.

Probably going to sell the old TH-400 three speed and three speed shifter. They worked fine, but I need my rig to drive 65.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
765R4 is very comfortable to drive. Low first gear makes accelerating to 25MPH easy. Holds H'way speeds well. The 6.2 is not fighting and even at 50 MPH highway speed I can hold a conversation with my son.

New stack is awesome. No leaks. Engine temp is stable. Oil pressure is about 10 at idle and maybe 15 at highway speed.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that work and no cool videos or pictures to share :)
Sorry. Too cold out for me to wrench so my mechanic did all the work, but if you want I can break out the crayons and draw you a “piture “. LOL.

I’ll try to snap some pics tomorrow if it’s not too cold.

Last edited:

Thumper580

765R4 is very comfortable to drive. Low first gear makes accelerating to 25MPH easy. Holds H'way speeds well. The 6.2 is not fighting and even at 50 MPH highway speed I can hold a conversation with my son.

New stack is awesome. No leaks. Engine temp is stable. Oil pressure is about 10 at idle and maybe 15 at highway speed.
Just had a 700R4 with 4 speed shifter installed in my 998. WOW, what an improvement. For an apples to apples comparison at 55mph the 3speed was turning about 2700rpm and now it's about 2000-2100 rpm.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had a 700R4 with 4 speed shifter installed in my 998. WOW, what an improvement. For an apples to apples comparison at 55mph the 3speed was turning about 2700rpm and now it's about 2000-2100 rpm.
I agree that the 700 series R4 units are pretty terrific.

I am super happy so far. Shifts are clean and acceleration is acceptable. No need to change drive shafts. No wiring. no limp mode.

4L80E is a terrific tranny, but I'm happy with a mechanical unit upgraded to 765R4. (At least I'm happy so far...LOL)

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures of the new stack, as promised. Fins are all nice and straight.
83F3BD05-E37A-4891-B1B0-6A111BB56BF3.jpegE8FC9378-E54E-48FF-9A70-A6688A161B25.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks