• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc sprayed some paint on the box and column to make it look pretty. Check the rebuild date on the box. :)

DSCN2018.jpgDSCN2019.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc sent me this picture today. The end of the replacement column is on the left, and the horribly butchered one is on the right.
DSCN2026.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The replacement steering column and box cost me $170. The steering wheel cost me $360. aua

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:

Glad that I'm taking the hubs apart. The first photo shows passenger side hub with a "dot" on the end of the bolt. The lock piece is missing on the bearing castle nut at slot at 9 o'clock. Bolt is the recalled bolt. The second drivers side photo shows the new bolt with the "X" stamped on the end. The correct one that does not break apart. The lock piece on the slot at the 3 o'clock position.

DSCN2033.jpgDSCN2039.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a little problem with the new steering box. The box mount was bent. The bracket on the right at the bottom was bent. I couldn't get enough dent out so had to rob the old one. Never a dull moment.
DSCN2030.jpg

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:

Glad that I'm taking the hubs apart. The first photo shows passenger side hub with a "dot" on the end of the bolt. The lock piece is missing on the bearing castle nut at slot at 9 o'clock. Bolt is the recalled bolt. The second drivers side photo shows the new bolt with the "X" stamped on the end. The correct one that does not break apart. The lock piece on the slot at the 3 o'clock position.

View attachment 653434View attachment 653433
Always good to keep the wheels on!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The three photos show the new improved hub bolt and the old bolt. The old bolt is on the right in all photos. The old bolt is a two piece bolt that is welded on the end. The new bolt is a one piece that is a little more resistant to coming apart. New and improved marked with an "X". The X bolt cost me $40. :shock:

DSCN2044.jpgDSCN2045.jpgDSCN2046.jpg

Another Ahab

The new bolt is a one piece that is a little more resistant to coming apart. New and improved marked with an "X". The X bolt cost me $40.
That's some sure enough pricey hardware, Brother OD!

But I guess if it's the right thing (and your only real choice), well, you "got to do what you got to do". [thumbzup]

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original bolt was prone to failure. Service Bulletin MM-2 mandated the change to the X bolts.

All of the parts going on the Mite are one-time purchase items. Thankfully I will never have to buy another steering wheel, X bolt, steering column, master cylinder, brake switch, etc. The only thing Jeannie will need when she's on the road is insurance, oil changes, and ethanol-free fuel. :)

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc didn't see this until he cleaned everything. This is the nut that didn't have a lock piece. Looks like someone made a pathetic attempt at tack welding the nut on. Why on EARTH did some genius take the time to drag out a dang welder to secure this nut?!?!?!? Wouldn't it have been easier to install the correct locking washer???
aua aua aua

DSCN2052.jpg

Another Ahab

Doc didn't see this until he cleaned everything. This is the nut that didn't have a lock piece. Looks like someone made a pathetic attempt at tack welding the nut on. Why on EARTH did some genius take the time to drag out a dang welder to secure this nut?!?!?!? Wouldn't it have been easier to install the correct locking washer???
aua aua aua

View attachment 654951
If only "things" could talk; BUT, you'll never know....

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about that recently. I wish my Model A could talk. I'd listen to her for hours, days, weeks.... The same goes for my M1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks