• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh MK48, any experience/owners?

azpatriot

I see a few of these for sale periodically. Do you have to have a trailer being towed behind you for these vehicles to be stable at road speeds since the wheelbase is so short? Are they heavy on maintenance? And I would guess parts are much tougher to come by than for 2 1/2ton or 5ton vehicles. Any thoughts?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I've read that the front power units like to nosedive if you hit the brakes too hard. I gather that they're normally only moved around without a rear body unit at slow speed around the yard for maintenance purposes.

Easy solution, though... get a rear body unit to go along with it! I haven't seen auction prices on the front power units yet, but if I recall correctly, the rear body units have sold in the a-few-thousands range.

I'd like one of those Wajax knucklebooms from the MK17 RBUs for my M923... so if I get one still attached to the RBU, I'll have a crane-less RBU left over that I'll want to get rid of. ;)

azpatriot

If I were to get a MK48, I probably wouldn't want the hydraulic boom so I might be game for that trailer. Might be fun to operate though!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would like a MK48 but either find the 5th wheel unit or build one out of a 17/18 trailer, or find the recovery unit, or better yet TWO MK48s one with the recovery unit, the other with the 5th wheel unit, anybody can have the everyday crappy cargo verson. You SEE one cargo thingy, you have seen them all.

Last edited:

azpatriot

Well keeping my eye out

Well I'm here working in Victorville, CA just down the road from Oceanside and Barstow. Already have a deuce and CUCV M1009 and looking to expand the empire. Will be curious to see what the MK48s go for this week.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know! Bolt two MK48 FPUs back to back, link the controls, and make a push-me-pull-me truck! :mrgreen:
Build a lowbed to fit BETWEEN the to MK48s with hyd. removable goose necks, could set the long flat deck flat on the ground, or just one end on the ground depending which end is needed to load

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
By the way: After some searching around, I found a set of LVS TMs on Scribd. They're in the TM 08780B series. I was just interested in the crane stuff. One think I'd still like to see is the load chart for the Wajax/Palfinger PK19000 knuckleboom on the MK17 RBUs. It's not in the manual, which just refers you to the chart on the crane (the manual does include the chart for the Grove crane on the MK17A1 RBUs, though).

If anybody has a legible picture of the load chart that they can share, I'd be much obliged.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son drives those and the LVSR in the Marines. He said the power unit, at low speed, with no trailer/bed, will fall over on its nose if you brake hard (or actually anything other than gently). He says it is extremely squirrely in that condition, and can only move about slowly to reattach another bed unit.

Cheers

azpatriot

Well then, maybe I should just put my $$ and muscle into restoring my deuce and quit dreaming about the MK48. It's always cool though to be the first one in your neighborhood to get one though! My neighbors already think I'm crazy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question. If the MK48 is anything like a HEMTt then it has 2 steer axles. If this is the case, how does one.steer just the front?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if it only has 2 axles and the both turn in the same direction, wouldn't it just crabwalk?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
see your point, bet there is a steering control that changes the orientation of the steering

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
see your point, bet there is a steering control that changes the orientation of the steering
It would probably have to be some type of manual and mechanical control as steering components need to be mechaically connected on road vehicles. Perhaps since its the Mil, the don't.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
With the FPUs about to come up on the auction block, I think we'll start seeing more LVS's on SS in the next few months. I won't be one of the owners, but I hope that one of them will be within drooling distance of me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks