• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh MK48, any experience/owners?

Augdog1964

I use mine all the time... I too bought it out of Jacksonville, and mine was literally new... 66 miles. It had a Mk14 flatbed on it, but I later purchased an excellent Mk15a1 trailer (did have to redo all the hydraulic lines) but she earns her keep.

Here she is helping us yesterday pull the cut breech block off the back of the Chieftain that just shipped in from the UK.

Mk48 work.jpg

lashby

Hello My name is lynn I am a fire chief in delta Utah I have have a chance to get two mk48 from the government to build a fire truck.
what I need to know is what do you think. do they cost to mutch to maintain and operate? I don't know of any one that hat built one but
I think it would work very good in the sandy soil we have here please help me make the choice I have have made many 2 1/2 and 6- 5ton fire trucks
but this will be a first mk48

iBOX

I recently purchased a mk48/17/18a1 and understand that there is something called a stabilization kit that will allow me to lift and load a standard shipping container "flat" instead of dragging it up at that crazy angle. Does anyone know about this kit? I also need the hydrolic jack and the spare tire lifting mechanism that stores directly under the spare tire.

RDUKW

I recently purchased a mk48/17/18a1 and understand that there is something called a stabilization kit that will allow me to lift and load a standard shipping container "flat" instead of dragging it up at that crazy angle. Does anyone know about this kit? I also need the hydrolic jack and the spare tire lifting mechanism that stores directly under the spare tire.

I may have a spare jack / pump. They are very heavy and a expensive item.

BradBMI

I have about 6 of the container attachments needs the connectors to the container. Can sell you a few cheal im away to April 2

DrillerSurplus

Welcome to the MK48 owners club. If you don't have the TMs yet they are here on the site.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?139381-MK48-TM-s
I am 99% certain that there is not a kit like that for a 20 foot container.
The only thing that I recall that comes close is an adapter for loading short boxes like a quad con that reduces the angle on the short containers. I know I've seen something like that, but I spent quite a bit of time this evening trying to find it in the TM's for the PLS, LHS & M1120 and struck out.

What do you mean by "spare tire lifting mechanism"? Do you need the whole assembly shown in Figure 238 or just the winch? see page 2-844 (867/1605 of PDF) in TM-0780B-24P I might have some extra parts for that, but not the jack.

DrillerSurplus

I knew I had seen something like you described and it was bugging me so I looked again. I was using the wrong search terms for the setup I remembered.

It is called a "BAIL BAR EXTENSION KIT" and is standard issue equipment for an MK18A1.

"BAIL BAR EXTENSION KIT. Three piece assembly consisting of two lower legs and
one upper leg. Serves as the anchor point for the LHS hook arm when loading 10 ft.
(3.05 m) or 13.33 ft. (4.07 m) containers. Assembled onto FLA after FLA has been
secured to container Stowed on brackets on MK18A1 frame when not in use. Lower
legs secured to right frame. Upper leg secured to left frame.

The bail bar extension kit must be installed between the LHS hook arm and FLA
when loading container configurations shorter than 20 ft. This extension kit
reduces the angle at which the shorter containers are loaded and moves the load
center of gravity rearward, to provide adequate weight distribution."

View attachment BAIL BAR EXTENSION KIT.pdf

Hopmeier

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to this thread and to MK48s, but still trying to get everything together at the moment and assemble it all at our facility. One big question; can anyone point me to the TMs or -10s for the MK18/18A1?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to this thread and to MK48s, but still trying to get everything together at the moment and assemble it all at our facility. One big question; can anyone point me to the TMs or -10s for the MK18/18A1?
Go back through this thread and look. There are two posts which show of give directions to the technical manuals you seek.

Hopmeier

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I missed it, but all I could find were references to the MK18 TMs (not the documents) and the general MK48 docs that cover the FPU and the MK14-17 but not MK18 trailers. Is there a link to the actual MK18 documents you are aware of?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had seen those and downloaded them from that post. It was hugely helpful. Thank you! Unfortunately, none of them cover the MK18/MK18A1 RPU.
You need TM 09470B-10/1. Which isn't found anywhere

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have also seen references that TM 2320-10/11 A is also needed for the MK18A1 but it is also nowhere to be found. I spent quite a bit of time a couple of years ago trying to find it.
Maybe sandcobra can help. The program manager for the technical manuals for the marine corp is located at the logistics base in albany where he works.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hopmeier

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any help would be appreciated. I also asked a colleague who has access to TRADOC to check their library (different service but they are supposed to have all services manuals).

DrillerSurplus

Maybe sandcobra can help. The program manager for the technical manuals for the marine corp is located at the logistics base in albany where he works.
I remember that Sandcobra had sent a disc with TM's for the MK48 to the moderators to decide if it would be OK to post.
There may have been restrictions on distribution since no additional TM's ever got posted for the MK48 & the various RBU.

Hopmeier

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible that the ones we are looking for just weren't included? I know there is a nearly complete set already posted in another thread, but unfortunately they didn't included ones on the 18.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks