• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh WT 2206 plow trucks

jatonka

Hi Snow plow, I didn't take any more pictures but I went back and found the Engine plate. It is a 3406 Cat, makes 325 Horse power at 2000 RPM. The truck is a 1990 Remanufacture. It has a 3 speed auto trans. can't find a Hi-Lo selector for the drop box, probably isn't one? JT

joec

JT that engine will make more then that if its an a or b can go as high as 475 on a same engine the Cat D7-8-9
ANd 980 rubber tired loader and multiple trucks.. Give her a turn on the pump and that 3spd will go bye bye..lol

snowplow

Thanks JT, I think it has a 2-speed axle, but I do not recall, I will dig out a manual & see what specs say, snce it is a rough road vehical, it must have. But I will check.
I have the Cat 1693, 325 HP accordating to the plate, I have been told the earler re-builds got the 1693 & later 3406, my truck was a 86 re-build.
That 2206 sounds like it should be saved if possible, parts if nothing else, they are hard to find & not cheap!

snowplow

Cool, I always wanted my own fire truck!! Looks to be in pretty good shape, does it all work? I understand the larger HP, that must be very heavy when full of H2O!

snowplow said:
Cool, I always wanted my own fire truck!! Looks to be in pretty good shape, does it all work? I understand the larger HP, that must be very heavy when full of H2O!
Yes everything works. right down to the cab A/C! Pretty wild truck. Did'nt meen to sidetrack your thread. Just not a lot of oppertunity to talk about Oshkosh's.

snowplow

Hi guys, thanks to 81wt2206, I found the LF axle & brake parts at Steve McLean's place in Limerick!!!! Last mo he got a freight qt to ship 1 pallet @ 2000# to SLC UT for $ 600 & he was trying to find better, is now $812 -- any one have any suggestions, last qt is from NE TC. Would like any suggestions, but do not want to delay long as looks like it will keep going up!!

Hope to have the plow truck running for next winter -- Thanks to all for suggestions!!

snowplow

finaly have the parts!!

Great news, finally got the LF Axile parts ready to ship for my 2206!!!

Should go on truck tomorrow or Mon, hope it gets to SLC next week.

Want to get the axle on so they can move to shop :D :D & do all the maintance + putting the new stearing kit from Oshkosh on, go to a 12V alternator & 12 V batteries, any one have experence in the switch over - suggestions.

Goal is to get all work done so I can have it hauled to our place in ID, about 250-300 miles - any one have a suggestion on good truck hauler?

Pix of axle attached.

Attachments

snowplow

RE: finaly have the parts!!

Work has finally started getting the truck back together!!
Does any one have experence with the Hawker 12 V batteries? I saw a post on them some time ago & thinking they might be good to put in the plow, any one with any experence with them? Better than other batteries, cost etc?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Wow this is getting exciting now, I grew up in Illinois and Indiana where the snow came down in feet not inches and that truck is the king of plows. It looks to be in such great shape too. Sorry no experience with hawker batteries but I run regular high CCA Light truck batteries in my trucks and they start them very well. Funny I thought the axle shaft would be a bit larger than that for such a monster truck.

Please keep us updated on the plow progress

snowplow

I tend to over due on stuff for my trucks, if the cost of the Hawker bats is not too bad I think I will go with them, had some very strong posts on the duce site for the bats. I am planning on doing everthing I can to put this truck back so it will run for another 30 yrs. It was made in the 50's & ran so well, the AF re-built the fleet in the 80's.

The pix may be confusing, the axle is about 4" pretty stout, Oshkosh said they did not recall any or very few breaking. They over designed them in the 50's & if I do my part it will be going long after I'm gone.
I have about 1 mi from the site we are going to build on to the ct rd so I will not be wearing the truck out plowing, I expect to do my road & my neighbour's road so nothing to that truck.

Larry
M35A2C W/W
M35A2C WO/W
Duce trailer
WT-2206 W/12' plow

Rolling_Eudaimonia

The Walter Trucks are awesome, nearly bought one years ago... They have a niffty set up for dividing power between the axles and half shafts sort that is a simple mechanical traction control, very good snow plowing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks