• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to an OHV park a couple of weeks ago with my son. had a great time. These vehicles are fairly flexible and can traverse some agressive trails. Plus, all the Jeep folks had to watch us cause what is not cool about a HMMWV out and about.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well of course on the 4th weekend I had to go to Port A,
IMG_20230702_072633377_HDR.jpg
I did not take my big flag because I was in the mood for some jackassery
The first pull of the day was downright boring.
IMG_20230702_073129787.jpg
The second not so much, I came across a cluster of 1 ton duallies, three of them all chained together, two of them trying to pull a third that had a large 5th wheel trailer attached, I thought I got a pick of that but for some reason no.
I went ahead and hooked on the the lead truck but they were all pretty much stuck by then so we got the two of them out of the way cuz I wanted to try the kinetic rope that I had been wanting to try for some time now, he did not look all that stuck to me so I wondered why the other two could not pull him out.
IMG_20230702_084618616_HDR.jpg
So I backed up all the way to the tow vehicle and gave her all 385HP, when I got to the end of the rope all that kept me from going through the windshield was the steering wheel, kinetic shmetic that rope has about as much stretch as a logging chain.
even ripped the lid off my little ice chest.
IMG_20230702_090048126_HDR.jpg
So not being really too smart I just put my seat belt on and kept trying, I knew I was moving it but had no idea why we were only moving a little bit at a time and not getting "unstuck" until after the third run I asked the driver of the tow vehicle to change his steering direction and after watching him armstrong the steering wheel with much effort did I realize his truck was not running and I was pulling dead weight!
All he wanted was to get the trailer lined up so he could drop it and get his truck towed to town as he broke something when he got stuck.

So the moral of the story is the VEVOR 3/4"X31ft KINETIC tow rope is NOT KINETIC!!
recovery-rope-m100-1.2.jpg
I have to look for something else, granted it was not real expensive but at $75 it was not cheap ether:mad:
Edit the bystanders said the ol DuraVee was putting up some awesome rooster tails on all 4 corners, I was covered in sand, good times!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well of course on the 4th weekend I had to go to Port A,
View attachment 900720
I did not take my big flag because I was in the mood for some jackassery
The first pull of the day was downright boring.
View attachment 900721
The second not so much, I came across a cluster of 1 ton duallies, three of them all chained together, two of them trying to pull a third that had a large 5th wheel trailer attached, I thought I got a pick of that but for some reason no.
I went ahead and hooked on the the lead truck but they were all pretty much stuck by then so we got the two of them out of the way cuz I wanted to try the kinetic rope that I had been wanting to try for some time now, he did not look all that stuck to me so I wondered why the other two could not pull him out.
View attachment 900722
So I backed up all the way to the tow vehicle and gave her all 385HP, when I got to the end of the rope all that kept me from going through the windshield was the steering wheel, kinetic shmetic that rope has about as much stretch as a logging chain.
even ripped the lid off my little ice chest.
View attachment 900726
So not being really too smart I just put my seat belt on and kept trying, I knew I was moving it but had no idea why we were only moving a little bit at a time and not getting "unstuck" until after the third run I asked the driver of the tow vehicle to change his steering direction and after watching him armstrong the steering wheel with much effort did I realize his truck was not running and I was pulling dead weight!
All he wanted was to get the trailer lined up so he could drop it and get his truck towed to town as he broke something when he got stuck.

So the moral of the story is the VEVOR 3/4"X31ft KINETIC tow rope is NOT KINETIC!!
View attachment 900729
I have to look for something else, granted it was not real expensive but at $75 it was not cheap ether:mad:
Edit the bystanders said the ol DuraVee was putting up some awesome rooster tails on all 4 corners, I was covered in sand, good times!!
Kinetic ropes are only supposed to be hit at about 5mph. You're really just giving a gently tug to build up some energy and stretch the rope. If you really gunned it with that much power, with that rope, you're lucky it didn't snap on you. The soft sand probably kept you from getting a whole lot of speed, but be careful in the future as those ropes store a LOT of energy.
If it really didn't stretch, you'd have broken off a lot more than just the lid from your cooler. Even at 5mph

As for the "not real expensive" comment, that's about the cheapest chinesium made rope out there on the market.

It's also kind of under sized for your rig. Not sure exactly, but your truck should probably be in excess of 6k lbs in driving condition, so the 7/8" kinetic rope would be a better size.

If I'm using the energy calculator correctly, a 6k lb truck at 5mph has about 5k lbs of energy.
At 7mph t has 10k lbs of energy.
At 10mph has 20k lbs of energy.
At 15mph that increases to 45k lbs of energy.

Even though it's kinetic and stretches, you're talking 20-30% at max load before it snaps. So at working load you're only getting part of that. Your 31 foot rope probably managed to stretch 3-5 feet total, and going from the speed you were at to a dead stop within 5 feet or less when you had 20 feet to get up to that speed, well, you're gonna feel it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinetic ropes are only supposed to be hit at about 5mph. You're really just giving a gently tug to build up some energy and stretch the rope. If you really gunned it with that much power, with that rope, you're lucky it didn't snap on you. The soft sand probably kept you from getting a whole lot of speed, but be careful in the future as those ropes store a LOT of energy.
If it really didn't stretch, you'd have broken off a lot more than just the lid from your cooler. Even at 5mph

As for the "not real expensive" comment, that's about the cheapest chinesium made rope out there on the market.

It's also kind of under sized for your rig. Not sure exactly, but your truck should probably be in excess of 6k lbs in driving condition, so the 7/8" kinetic rope would be a better size.

If I'm using the energy calculator correctly, a 6k lb truck at 5mph has about 5k lbs of energy.
At 7mph t has 10k lbs of energy.
At 10mph has 20k lbs of energy.
At 15mph that increases to 45k lbs of energy.

Even though it's kinetic and stretches, you're talking 20-30% at max load before it snaps. So at working load you're only getting part of that. Your 31 foot rope probably managed to stretch 3-5 feet total, and going from the speed you were at to a dead stop within 5 feet or less when you had 20 feet to get up to that speed, well, you're gonna feel it.
I doubt I was making more than 8-10MPH, 5K would not have moved that tow vehicle and trailer at all, your talking about 16-18K or so in soft sand
I know what it feels like to be on the end of a logging chain and that is what it felt like, (Edit I started off roading long before there ever was a such thing as a kinetic rope available for off roading) there was zip zero nada stretch to that rope. (Ok there may have been a few inches of stretch, even a chain stretches before it breaks)
There was also NO rebound as in trying to pull me back, when I stopped I stopped so there is no way I was getting 5' of stretch.
I do have to say it was pretty tough though, I am actually surprised at first glace that the rear bumper did not pull.
I would certainly NOT wanted to have the even less stretch of a 7/8" rope!!!
Also not all that energy was being absorbed by the rope and my truck, I was moving the tow vehicle, he also said it was surprisingly abrupt, like he had been rear ended.
I guess I will have to attach it to my old broken down 977 Cat and video it to see for myself.

Last edited:

M1165A1

I had the great honor earlier today of participating in our local July 4th parade to carry Lt. Col. Michael McCuistion, USAF retired, and several other service veterans in the HMMWV.

Lt. Col. McCuistion was an F105 Thunderbolt pilot in Vietnam. He earned two Silver Stars and was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967, spending 6 years as a POW in the Hanoi Hilton until he was repatriated in 1973.

It was a great morning and the support and love for him from the town is amazing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course I had to go to the beach today,
My first stop is the San Juan restaurant, I get there just as they open so I always get a good seat, an hour later and you are waiting for a table.
They set this table up 4-5 times every morning to fill these little sauce containers for the to go customers and by mid afternoon they are filling each order by hand.
IMG_20230902_062827835.jpg

Even on Sat. morning on the Labor Day weekend there is still room for more :giggle:
Room.jpg
1.jpg
We go to my family church in Falls City on Sunday for the annual fund raising wing ding, great fun for all but I think I am going to slip on back to Port A in the late afternoon.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock axles but in lock (HL) at ths time.
This is river gravel. Very smooth and without any small components in it. This is then like quicksand.
If you have pressure from above, that's still okay. But in this case, the body is already resting on the edge. And any further movement would have flooded the intake.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock axles but in lock (HL) at ths time.
This is river gravel. Very smooth and without any small components in it. This is then like quicksand.
If you have pressure from above, that's still okay. But in this case, the body is already resting on the edge. And any further movement would have flooded the intake.
I didn't mean at that particular time, just any time while you were out there.

There's a short hill-climb on the nearby mil base, and my M1165 will get about half-way up and stop because one wheel on each side will be either off the ground (it's very rutted) or not have enough traction to grip the surface. So I have to do the BTM thing to get moving again. In this case, any transfer case position gives the same result. That's what I was asking - did your need to do BTM at any point?

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to decide that from situation to situation.
Basically, the lock of the center differential is the beginning on such loose ground.
If a wheel lifts off, then step lightly on the brake to direct the force back to the wheel in contact with the ground.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks