• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over before I got started..

chachi44089

I recently started my search for that perfect Deuce.I have wanted one for years,but life always seemed to delay my dreams.But now I am in a better position to own my dream truck.I stumbled on this site and began researching and getting ready to puchase.Checked my local zoning laws just to find out I cannot keep a vehicle over 1 ton capacity at my home,comercial or not.I am so dissapointed.:(
My advise to prospective buyers is to check local laws before you plunk down hard earned cash for your dream truck.

Bill W

"My advise to prospective buyers is to check local laws before you plunk down hard earned cash for your dream truck."

Excellent advice
One mans treasure is anothers eye sore

As mentioned check out your local storage yard, when I moved to Georgia I sold my deuce because I knew it wouldn't be allowed in the neighborhood I was moving to and did not want to spend big bucks on storage only to find out later that it would have been only $35.00 a month at my local self storage place ( I have since moved to a more rural house on 5 acres and bought another deuce :))

moleary

Checked my local zoning laws just to find out I cannot keep a vehicle over 1 ton capacity at my home,comercial or not.I am so dissapointed.:(
My advise to prospective buyers is to check local laws before you plunk down hard earned cash for your dream truck.
Can you post the specific language of the ordinance? It may be that there are exceptions to the rule or a better definition of what is intended to be prohibited. By the standard you quoted it looks like an M1008 (5/4 ton) would be prohibited even!

jimm1009

Dream of O.D. Green

Don't give up on your dream. You may only be slightly delayed rather than cancelled out on the Deuce-or-similar ownership.
Hopefully you'll acquire some really good information from some of the local to you owners and you can get this "glitch" fixed.
In the mean time may I suggest a M1009 or M1008 CUCV to get you started?
Or perhaps a M38 (similar to a CJ3A) or M38A1 (similar to a CJ5)?
An M37 is a good choice too if you have tools and like to tinker with your toys.
Please keep the O.D. Green dream alive and let us know what happens.
jimm1009 :wink:

Heavysteven

I use the out of sight out of mind. Park it next to my house so far no complants. Also, I have one the best yards in the neighborhood and never start before 10:00 AM on the weekends. That said I am not in compliance and one complaint means storage some where else.

Good luck

chachi44089

The ordinance is as follows...

440.12 PARKING PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN ZONING DISTRICTS; EXCEPTIONS.
(a) No school bus, commercial tractor, truck of more than one ton manufacturers rated capacity, bus, commercial trailer, commercial semitrailer, pole trailer or moving van may be parked or stored on any premises in the City in an area that is classified R-2 Rural Residence District, R-3 Suburban Residence District, R-4 Urban Residence District, R-4a Two-Family Urban Residence District, R-5 Apartment Residence District, RS Special Residence (R-S-1) District, RL-1 Existing Lagoon District or R-6 Special Family Residence District by the Zoning Ordinance of the City, other than when such vehicle is loading or unloading cargo or is used in a farming or truck farming operation on the premises.
(Ord. 70-11. Passed 3-16-70.)

(b) Whoever violates any provision of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor on a first offense; on a second offense within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree; on each subsequent offense within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.
I will try to appeal to the zoning board with the RV and collectable approach.I will try a little niceness first.Maybe apply for a variance.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
commercial is the key word
commercial tractor, truck..............

check with a lawyer 1st but that comma between tractor & truck connects truck with commercial.

A guys toy is not a commercial vehicle.

you should be good to go unless somewhere else it restricts the amount of axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks