• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

Kohburn

I look forward to progress updates on this - imo definately the best possible way to improve the deuce's road worthiness

frdmdfndr

You know, through reading this thread, a lot of folks are worried about the tires handling the extra speed. I'd really rather have something like this for the extra mileage at 55-60.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i wouldn't define 3 as 'a lot of people' and 1 of them wouldn't do this anyway! i will say that you probably will NOT see any increase in mpg. in a diesel fuel = power, and more speed = more wind resistance etc. i got 12 mpg at 55 mph with 8000 lbs and slight grades both up and down so they may have cancelled themselves out. i limited the speed because i was doing a mpg study empty and loaded. almost no difference.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is a good time to say thanks to a member who has been a VERY good friend. gerhard, in uruguay, ( gringeltaube ) spent more of his own money than either of us wanted, and also spent considerable time with some of the companies in uruguay trying to help me get this stalled project going again. he did a lot of drawings and was a big help refining the needle brng setup for 5th gear hub. in the end i did end up with a prototype set which proved that the .69 ratio was doable and actually was just the right ratio for the project. we all owe him a big thanks. when these become available, he will be part of the reason.

thanks, gerhard

tom

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What of the aforementioned question of 2nd gear spinning too fast on the shaft when the 5th OD is increased? Can you tell about any upgrades to that section?

frdmdfndr

Ok, I'll buy that, I'll substitute a few for a lot. It does, however, strike me as odd that the mileage wouldn't change. Unless this wouldn't change the RPM at cruising speed. Seems to me that if you lower the RPM at cruising speed, your mileage would increase. I do know, however that a diesel engine is a mad scientist and sometimes you just never know until you try something. You are the gear man, I'll gladly take your word for it.

R/
Chief Out

jwaller

although the rpm's come down the load goes up. so you end up having to put your foot into it more. ie more fuel. so as tom said it cancels itself out.

I ran into this issue driving a powerstroke one time. I drove 60mph thinking I'd get better mileage. nope. it took way more pedal to keep it running 60 than it did to run 75. so I sped up to 75 and got better mileage. it's all about load and where your engine makes enough torque to keep the mass moving at speed.

mudguppy

although the rpm's come down the load goes up. so you end up having to put your foot into it more. ie more fuel. so as tom said it cancels itself out.

I ran into this issue driving a powerstroke one time. I drove 60mph thinking I'd get better mileage. nope. it took way more pedal to keep it running 60 than it did to run 75. so I sped up to 75 and got better mileage. it's all about load and where your engine makes enough torque to keep the mass moving at speed.
:ditto:

i believe this is perfectly stated, especially the part about your engine's power band relating to the desired operating speed.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
What of the aforementioned question of 2nd gear spinning too fast on the shaft when the 5th OD is increased? Can you tell about any upgrades to that section?
patrick, go to the web site, there are pictures. 2nd gear is now on needle brngs. actually it is the shaft spinning too fast relative to the gear speed that is the problem.

tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is a good time to say thanks.........
Thank you, Tom! For your patience and for never giving up on this very ambitious re-engineering project, even after so many drawbacks...
Guess we both learned the hard way how to NOT make gears!?
So you can sell quiet gears now, while I can finish writing my book and hopefully sell some, too......LOL

Good things take good time....,and this took real long so it must come out - not good - but excellent!! ...and there are very good signs of it, already!

Let all the worries and extra-time invested be "for the good cause"!!!

Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL...... exactly what I mentioned above: the lessons learned regarding HOW TO NOT MAKE (or have made) GEARS............! (cusses in German language only... :p)

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
finally got the final drawing for approval from forest city gear. should now be only 5 weeks for first 25 sets. anyone interested should reconfirm for first shot at these.

tom

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me I would to say Hats of to m-35tom very nice job to get that work through the planning stages to production.
I book marked it.
Thank you very much CJ Troutt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks