• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

Kohburn

really don't think a deuce has enough power to defeat the wind drag. drag starts climing rapidly over 60mph

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
kohburn, you are right, but up to 70 it has enough power. also at lower rpms it is more in the top of the torque curve so i would think that would effectively cancel the wind drag somewhat. i got the best mpg at 55, that must have been the balance point of power versus drag.

tom

Last edited:

jwaller

Can the average shade tree mechanic install this kit? How many are out there now? How much acceleration is lost?
I am running one with great success. The accel loss between 4th and 5th is not much at all. My truck still has plenty of power to move right thru the wider gears. I am also running 1100's on my truck.

Imagine running 60ish mph and 2300rpms. I can run above 65mph and still have lots to go. The trans also seems to run cooler and quieter as well. I think the conversion to roller bearings is a fantastic upgrade.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only place id chance running a deuce up to 100mph would be the bonneville salt flats.
I don't know if I would do it anywhere, and I'm crazy. You would definitely want street radials on it if you were going to try that!

Thanks for the update John, sounds like it is a well thought out and very successful upgrade. After a few loads of WVO, I'll be ordering a set for the m109.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
major update to web page. divided manual into taking it apart and assymbly with pictures. gear blanks have been at forest city for a week now, so soon.

tom

Kohburn

I am running one with great success. The accel loss between 4th and 5th is not much at all. My truck still has plenty of power to move right thru the wider gears. I am also running 1100's on my truck.

Imagine running 60ish mph and 2300rpms. I can run above 65mph and still have lots to go. The trans also seems to run cooler and quieter as well. I think the conversion to roller bearings is a fantastic upgrade.

exactly the kind of review I was hoping for - I'll be saving my dollars for this setup.

DEUCEBIGALOW

You better rethink the XL's they are only rated for 55-56 mph max. 12.5R20xl - 16.00R20xl. But the 11.00R20xl are good for 68mph.
Ihad the xls on my dodge mega cab... used to run 70-75mph all the time for tank after tank.. trips from missouri to az to ga you name it ZERO problems could be due to less weight truck tipped scales at 9000

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks