• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

tlib

Proformance 4.90 and .69 OD ???

Tom,

I currently have 4.90 gears on my bobbed M-35. I run Goodyear MV/T tires.

Question ? What do you think the proformance will be if I add the .69 OD

gears to the tranny ? Thanks !!!!

spicergear

Hmmm...you'll need to be more specific since my name is Tom as well. :)

You'll need a LOT of engine to pull 4.90's and that tall overdrive. Also, what's the Goodyear tire height so the info can be calculated better? Randy's Ring and Pinion, link below will allow you to put in your ratio's and figure out rpm for mph. For final drive ratio you will need to put a 0 then the decimal point like 0.69...or whatever overdrive you want to figure.

Randy's Ring & Pinion. Calculators.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
even with stock tires, and stock transmission, it is hard to believe there is enough power.
9.00-20 tires would be 1925 rpm at 60. .69od is all the motor can handle, and that is a final ratio of 4.64. you are talking about a final ratio of 3.82, it's not gonna happen.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
quite a bit of diversity going on, of the 8 sets sold, 3 are going in m-37, 1 in a m-715, 2 in a stock deuce, 1 in a deuce with a lds, 1 in a bobbed deuce, and 1 in a deuce with a 8.4 cummins.

tom

JDToumanian

I see Walck's is out of the 0-70 mph speedometers...... I found them at Vintage Jeeps, Inc. for a little cheaper and they're in stock.

Vintage Jeeps,Inc. Parts & Jeep Accessories From The Jeep Parts Experts.

It's part number 640131 for $77.10

*** I just noticed that their part #640131 is listed as 0-60 mph. Part #640131 should be 0-70 but you may want to make sure. Also, Walk's (the link from Tom's website) shows them back in stock now. ***

I'll be ordering my .69 OD kit soon.... I've been pouring a lot of money into my deuce lately, and the OD kit is next but it may be after Tower Park before I have the money. I have a busy schedule with my deuce this year, air shows, convoys, parades, camping and shooting trips. To prevent haste causing waste, I'm going to rebuild a transmission at my leisure and swap it for the one in my deuce when it's ready.

Jon

Last edited:

tlib

Proformance 4.90 and .69 OD ???

Tom,

Sounds like I should use your .69 on my stock Deuce with Goodyear MV/T

tires (48") and leave the bobbed deuce alone with the 4.90 gears and Goodyear

MV/T tires (48") ? I could compare them for RPM'S,SPEED,ETC. ???

What do you think ?

Thanks !!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes, 9 so far. including mine.

48" tires are going to be a bit big for .69 od.
i reccomend not larger than 11.00 x20 or 14.5R20XL

tom

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:cool:_____Diesel Fitter !_____:cool:

For Cool and Useful Modifications to a Large Diesel truck,

As Judged Unanimously by the Grand Visier of PBR Welder Hacks,

The Covetous and Rarefied Diesel Fitter Award is Hereby Bestowed Upon

m-35tom

TexAndy

Hmmm...you'll need to be more specific since my name is Tom as well. :)

You'll need a LOT of engine to pull 4.90's and that tall overdrive. Also, what's the Goodyear tire height so the info can be calculated better? Randy's Ring and Pinion, link below will allow you to put in your ratio's and figure out rpm for mph. For final drive ratio you will need to put a 0 then the decimal point like 0.69...or whatever overdrive you want to figure.

Randy's Ring & Pinion. Calculators.

There's another good calculator here:

4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that is a big IF, the answer is maybe. you would still have to change the mainshaft to use needle brngs for 2nd or it WILL fail. you would also have to make spacers to be able to use the civi gears as they are not a direct fit.

tom

jimh1985

Has anyone had problems with lugging the motor with these? i Would thing shifting from 4th to 5th is a prob.
This is what has kept me from trying them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks