• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will definitly be getting a set prior to next July, to put in the m109 for the trip to AK. That'll be a good test for it, pretty much 12k miles round trip...

TexAndy

Possibly this has been asked before...

But I'm curious, does anyone know for sure if various other components like the wheel bearings and differential gears can handle the higher road speeds?

jollyroger

Possibly this has been asked before...

But I'm curious, does anyone know for sure if various other components like the wheel bearings and differential gears can handle the higher road speeds?
I just read the entire post and did not see this question before.

Excellent question BTW.

As for wheel bearings I would not think there would be a major change in "bearing speed" at the higher road speeds as demonstrated by M-35TOM that would create an adverse loading or overheating problem. This would be more of an issue with the 9.00-20's as the smaller the tire the greater the bearing speed for the same road speed. As people change to taller tires the bearing speeds decrease accordingly.

As for the diff gears. There is a change of the gear and bearing "speeds" with the 9.00-20's over the stock tranny gearing but again I would not think that speed to be adverse or create an overheating problem. If one was concerned about this issue in the diffs it might make sense to change the diff fluid from a straight 90 wt to an 85/140 wt. Tom will know what is best for this if it is a problem.

These are just assumptions on my part and do not have an real data to back up my statements other than intuition and 30 years worth of mechanical experience. So in other words I'm not an expert...but....I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:grin:

Oh yeah. Way to go Tom. You have been very persistent. And what a long row to hoe for you. I will be in the market for these when I bob a deuce. Not too far in the distant future.:driver:

pick

I just finished installing a set of the new overdrive gears from M-35 Tom. They really do the job intended. My speed is 64 mph at approximately 2200 rpm. The tires are 11.00x20, goodyear G-286 radials. There is no noticeable extra noise that I can ascertain. Transmission shifts fine also. A good friend of mine helped me with the gear box, I wanted to make sure it was assembled correctly. Mr. Bauer also has step by step directions to guide you as you go. It made the job easy. He has more gear sets coming in real soon, so line up fellows for this is the REAL DEAL

mjw4669

FIrst off thanks for the dedication to a great idea!

I've been on the fence about buying a deuce as my jeep hauler. My big set back was the 55mph max that the truck has in stock form. After reading the last 13 pages of information I'm just about sold on buying one now! I'll be coming home from Afghanistan early spring 2011 and the hunt for a nice truck will be on.

Do you plan on stocking sets of gears or is it more or less order a bunch, when they sell out order more?

Also, Have you ever considered selling transmissions with the gears already installed for people who do not feel comfortable installing them their selves? Say charge a few hundred bucks and a good core.... just a thought

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i plan to keep parts in stock, but it will depend on demand as to how often i have gears made so there may be short periods of time when they are not ready. as for exchange transmissions, the shipping cost of 250 lbs out and back might make that not work. most likely there will be people around the country who will be able to do this replacement for others for less than the shipping would run. there is boyce in Utah, m-series in NC, i am in Maryland and there will no doubt be many others.

tom

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the price of this set? I skimmed the thread and didn't see it.

islasaero

i plan to keep parts in stock, but it will depend on demand as to how often i have gears made so there may be short periods of time when they are not ready. as for exchange transmissions, the shipping cost of 250 lbs out and back might make that not work. most likely there will be people around the country who will be able to do this replacement for others for less than the shipping would run. there is boyce in Utah, m-series in NC, i am in Maryland and there will no doubt be many others.

tom
You don't happen to make or know of someone who makes ring and pinion gears? I thought of better highway ratios for my future deuce. It should make a difference like a transmission ratio swap, right? Thanks!

islasaero

I think you are right!

a 4.90 gear set would be useless. it is way too high. i think islasaero does not understand that this gear set gives you all the OD the deuce can handle, and for 1/3 the cost of ring and pinion change and way less work. go figure, here is a good cheap way to get there and someone wants to do it another way!

tom
It's true, changing the transmission ratio is way cheaper. I don't need to go so fast, just be able to run in the freeways here. I'm definately interested in your trany gear swap! Well, once I get my deuce!:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks