• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overland Park Ks bans Mv's at home

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Isn't this what the MVPA says they are there to help with??
Why do we belong to an orgination that doesn't help except for a couple of magazines.

This really sucks. Carl Marx would be proud of the direction our beautiful country is heading.
The MVPA has helped, a few years ago here in Kansas we had a chowder head of the DMV. We had a local member davesgmc , ELMO's owner that had got a Ferret with title from another state. The DMV here would not license it, our chapter, **** on Wheels, some owners from western Kansas and the MVPA Hq went to the state legislature and got the law changed so any former MV with wheels, (sorry track heads) could be licensed in the state of Kansas however you wanted to do it. My M1009 and M890 as regular trucks, M818 and M35a2 as antique and my friends working wrecker as commercial.

Attachments

TIGERFANS2

overland park, why am I not surprised?
I TOO have an elected representative in the Kansas House and Senate (I'll refrain from making comments about the lady's partys, etc.), they probably feel I've neglected them recently, I'll fix that tonight.

jwright

One of my fellow duce owners was going with me on a MV pick-up yesterday and was telling me how he was ticketed with a $140 fine for having a duce parked at his house. At first I thought he was blowing smoke but he wasn't. Overland Park Kansas has changed their city ordnance for vehicle parking that classifies ALL former military vehicles as commercial! BTW his duce is not used for anything other than club functions and parades, has no commercial signage and is restored with military markings. It's the 383 painted duce in the line. Here are the highlights.

J. "Former Military Vehicle" means a vehicle, including a Trailer, regardless of the
vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces or is a replica of such a vehicle.

B. All Former Military Vehicles shall, except as otherwise provided herein, be excluded from the definition of a Passenger Car, Passenger Van, Pickup Truck or Motorcycle and shall presumptively be classified as Commercial Vehicles and subject to all Commercial Vehicle rules and regulations. The Director may, upon request, evaluate the original intended use of such a vehicle, the absence or presence of military design, markings, equipment, attachments, modifications, and any other relevant factor, and make a determination in writing that such a vehicle is so substantially similar in appearance and function to an ordinary passenger vehicle, and suitable for being parked in a residential area, for it to be subject to parking regulations applying to a Passenger Car, Passenger Van, Pickup Truck and Motorcycle instead of Commercial Vehicles. Any alteration of the vehicle after obtaining such a written determination shall void the determination. The absence or denial of such a valid written determination shall subject said vehicle to Commercial Vehicle parking regulations as provided in this Chapter.

If you want to read the entire ordnance here is the link. http://www.opkansas.org/Doc/722-Vehicle-Use-Parking-and-Storage.pdf

I see the AMERICAN FLAG being flown on some of the American armor, trucks and all the bases. So does that mean that I can not put an American flag on my car? After all it is used in the military...

Flyingvan911

That figures. It is amazing how places automaticly classify MV's as Commercial. If I lived on that side I'd paint our old '88 E-250 in 383 green and see what they'd try to do. After all, you can paint your vehicle any color you want. And without any military markings, it's not a replica. It was never owned by the military. CarFax said it was originally owned by the city of Olathe.

Just a thought. It get so old that people can't use common sense. I think large MV's like deuces and 5 tons should be classifies as "Large Private Vehicles." They wouldn't have the B.S. of commercial stuff and most of the rights of private vehicles.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Recall elections if appropriate.

More than likely the a-holes that got this passed are appointed and immune to public oversight.

You need to get the press on your side along with local military service organizations.

If nothing else embaress the crap out of them and bring all the heat to bear you can.

Flyingvan911

They are preppy, wanna-be wealthy people who are terrified that something will cause their fancy community to look not so rich and famous. I can see wanting a place to look nice but if a MV isn't causing a problem, why bother it. Especially the smaller ones like M1008's and M1009's that are basicly like the other trucks and Blazers on the road. I'm suprised they don't ban vehicles that cost less the $50,000.

TIGERFANS2

spect if I chose to live in overland park I'd be in the market for Eddies Rv to park right out front

"Oh, that uh, that there's an RV. Yeah, yeah, I borrowed it off a buddy of mine. He took my house, I took the RV. It's a good looking vehicle, ain't it? "

but that's the knd of guy I am....... :twisted:

I have had business dealings with a few companies in Overland Park. To say that they are.pretentious would be quite the understatement. Delusions of grandeur. Not likely to fix this problem there.

However, about 20 years ago my father lived in one of those fancy gate communities that had all sorts of silly rules. One of them was that no vehicle of a certain age or older were not allowed to be parked on the street or even in your own driveway. Since he was an a/c contractor, he was cited several times for his work truck. So, he parked it in his garage while working on his plan. He bought an old Ford model T and parked it in his driveway. After having in plain sight in the driveway for about 6 months without any complaints or citations, he put the old Ford back in the garage and started parking his work truck in the driveway. Of course he got another.citation the.very first night. So, he appealed it and argued that they were selectively enforcing that rule, and that if his old Ford was ok, that his work truck was too. He actually won the appeal and could continue to park the work truck in his driveway without any further citations.

Perhaps a plan to achieve the same thing could be.done there in Overland Park would work. Do a bit of brainstorming to come up with a plan with a few.other MV folks and figure out a.way to get them to allow a.series of violations of the.ordinance that are well documented. Then, go after them. Perhaps starting with a few OD paint jobs on civilian vehicles-like soccer mom minivans and compact grocerie getters. After several months, a.few.military markings here and there. The old.death from a.thousand cuts strategy.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

I had a Code Cop try to get me a ticket for parking my Deuce in front of my house. Before I even got home one of my local cop friends who came to my house to visit with me saw this going on. By the time I got home he had the Code Cop scared crapless. There is no law stating that I cant park out there but our Code Cops are power hungry freaks that get WAY carried away around here.
Since that day not one Code Cop has ever come by my house. The local cops still laugh their butts off at the station when I pull up there in the Deuce.
Good thing I have a ton of Cop friends out there looking out for me.

A

A/C Cages

Oh, the Code Cop wanted me to park my Deuce in my garage..... LOL
Can you see my Avatar pic to the left of this? My H1 fits but do you really think any of my Deuces will? Come on code cop, use some common sense for once. lol

A

A/C Cages

Well at my company shop, I have plenty of room to store all my toys. I prefer not to keep them at my house. But when they do I have pads they sit on. I prefer my concrete to stay clean and there isnt such a thing as a deuce that doesnt drip something somewhere. lol

GoldComet6

Perhaps a local newspaper or tv station would be willing to do a story about it? Maybe playing it so that it would be seen as the council is hurting those that support veterans by preserving their history. A "Big government gone crazy" story....?

I work for a local government, and from my experience the last thing our officials want is negative attention. So could a group of MV owners attend a local public hearing and bring it up then, in front of everyone there? Get the council to explain it and justify the local ordinance. Make them explain why a regular 6.2 Blazer with a red body, a blue door and missing chrome is okay, but a "military" Blazer isn't. Ask them to explain the differences between the two - I'm sure they can't. Show them the owners are just average people & veterans and nothing to be afraid of. You could even offer to use the trucks to help out with local projects to show that, if you want to.

Meet with them in person one on one and discuss it - see if one member might be more willing to help get it changed. Take them for a ride. Most of our elected officials don't know the ordinances that well, and depend on "staff" to advise them on what they really say. There might be a way to get them changed.

If not - then a local MV owner (or someone with some common sense) should run against them and say "We need new leadership or your vehicle, boat or dog, etc is next!"

Last edited:

sterlun

These ordinances are sooooo dictative. Next they'll tell you what color underwear you're allowed to have and how many pairs. They'll tell you if you're dark headed you have to have a blonde wife that can't be over 5'6" tall, unless she has blue eyes then she can be 5'9". You will only be allowed 2 children in the household provided one is male and the other female.

Sound funny, stupid, am I going overboard? What's the difference? It's all an infringement on an individual's freedom to choose.:x

tamangel

attempt to find the meeting minutes where this was proposed and discussed and ruled on.. May be good insight to find concerns by the local GOV..or whoever brought it to their attention..

Mike

'Indignez-vous'

KsM715

If I won the lottery I'd build a house with a garage/shop big enough for several deuces.
If I won the lottery I'd buy the first available lot just outside the city limits of OP on the most used incoming road and set up a MV storage yard. ( Id let in the oldest and most derelict RV's and boats too.)

infact Id open one up on every icoming road.

jumpinford

Need to find a way to hit em in the pocket book. Do any counsel members own businesses? Have some MV owning folks show up, park said MVs in front of the businesses, and get almost all the way to check out with a large purchase, then suddenly remember that its illegal for them to park the vehicle there and leave.

You start costing people money, and you get results. I had a starbucks coffee shop that would not make an effort to keep their dumpster area clean. Said dumpster area happened to be 35 ft from the entrance to a buddies bar. We asked several times for them to step up and police their own garbage area. After a few weeks, I parked my 1600 gallon septic truck in front of their business with the hatches removed. Keep in mind this is during a warm Las Vegas summer, the smell of this is horrific to the untrained nose. By the end of the first day they were calling my phone number and begging me to please remove my vehicle from the parking lot. Now having been at said bar all day waiting for the call, I knew that folks were trying to get coffee, but most couldn't get past the smell and got back in their vehicles and left.

Anyhow, when they called, I simply told them that on my word as a gentleman, that truck would move just as soon as the dumpster area behind the store and in front of my buddies bar was clean, but not a moment sooner. And if the dumpster area was ever left like that again, I'd bring the truck back. It took em all of about 10 min to have that area so clean you could eat off it. It hasn't been a problem again for about 5 yrs now :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks