• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Spring 2014 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

datadawg

Anyone going through or from Bucks County PA? I am nervous rolling alone for 100 miles, my longest ride so far in my truck was 5 miles and I've only had 15-20 total miles under my belt since getting her. So convoying would definitely increase my comfort level deciding to go.

max1008

DATADAWG- hit up 215dave. hes in southampton. Probably heading to my house friday and we will convoy up to 78 maybe meet up with some guys at cabelas.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plans have changed a little for me - I am going to make it, but probably won't be there until breakfast time on Saturday morning, staying until Sunday sometime. We don't wheel on Fridays anymore, so I'm not missing anything except for the campfire Friday night.

PaFarmer

Firewood is good. Nails are not good and pallets would need to get broken down to fit in the fire ring. I will bring some fire wood along, it looks like a few others are bringing wood as well.

A chainsaw would be good, I need to clean the carb on mine. I lead last trip and had to cut a few trees that were hanging across the trail and one that got run over and hung up a truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We plan around 10am for the trails, but it always seems like we can't get moving fast enough come sunrise. If you're there around 9am, it will give you time for the rest of us to wake up, and for you to sign in at the office, get paid up and get your wristbands so you're able to go out on the trails.

PaFarmer

There are always a bunch of us chomping at the bit and then guys who are slow to get rolling in the mornings. Let's aim for 9am. We need to get everyone paid and lined up.

It looks like we have a good amount of vehicles with a mix of deuces and five tons as well as CUCVs and civilian vehicles. I am happy to take the lead and run trails suitable for the bigger vehicles. There are more trails that smaller vehicles can run. If the smaller vehicles want to split off at any point, we can plan to run as two or more groups. If we stick together, there are areas along several trails where folks can play around on rocks or in mud.

Oh boy, only days left. Lots of stuff to do to get ready. Anyone wanna convoy out Friday evening? I will be leaving from exit 40 on 78 westbound in NJ around 1630hrs. A bunch of us still meeting at Cabelas as usual for the long haul up the hill?

datadawg

Assuming I can fix my non working power steering tomorrow, I will come with my 11 year old son and we will drive in M923a2. Plan to come Friday nite and hopefully can convoy up w/215Dave, etc. My son and I will stay one night and leave Saturday evening. I can bring firewood. If anyone can tell me what is typically game plan for food, I'd appreciate it (pack cold food, cook stuff on site, eat out?). I have never done this, so I really do not have a clue and the one thing I have to avoid at all costs (other than breaking down) is spending 24 hours with a starving 11 year old :)

mikey

Assuming I can fix my non working power steering tomorrow, I will come with my 11 year old son and we will drive in M923a2. Plan to come Friday nite and hopefully can convoy up w/215Dave, etc. My son and I will stay one night and leave Saturday evening. I can bring firewood. If anyone can tell me what is typically game plan for food, I'd appreciate it (pack cold food, cook stuff on site, eat out?). I have never done this, so I really do not have a clue and the one thing I have to avoid at all costs (other than breaking down) is spending 24 hours with a starving 11 year old :)
I would not say eating out is not possible, but it's not practical based on the location of the LZ in proximity to good food. Cold food is always an option. You may be able to cook over the fire pit and some people bring portable camping grills. You're welcome to borrow my grill if you make the trip. It's a small Coleman, but it can fry a burger or a dog.

This is rough camping. There are porta johns, but not much else. Bring your own TP, that seems to be worth more than gold there. Sleeping conditions are rough as well. Either the back of your 923 or in your tent. Make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes for your son, the forecast calls for 33 Friday night.

Hope you can make it. You and your boy will have fun.

Mikey

PaFarmer

Cooking out over a fire is good, or on a grill, kids love that. There is fast food five minutes down the road from the park. There are decent restaurants within 10-15 minutes. There are also several hotels 2 exits down Rt 81 at the Pine Grove exit, including a Hampton and cheap motel. A few years back, wind driven rain got in the tent and prompted a stay at the motel. It seems remote on the top of a mountain, but civilization is not far away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks