• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Spring 2016 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

cucvrus

I will bring up 20 pairs of the HD rubber Mud flaps to give away. I also have an empty 330 gallon clean plastic tote with sealed lid in a steel cage. It is also available. I would like something to trade for it. Maybe a folding GI shovel and scabbard or something. Maybe not. I will bring it up Friday night with the wood and the mudflaps. I would like to go home that night with an empty trailer. Will I have help to unload the wood? It will be mixed new lumber floor boards and scrap lumber. No nails or fasteners. I just don't want to take anything home but the empty trailer. I will give some wood to other campers at Rausch if you feel you have enough. Please advise. I have more flaps if that is not enough to go around. it makes nice HD floor mats. And mud flaps. Very useful. Thank you. Hey and i may have a bundle of scrap 4 X 4's with a generator I have a chop saw. easy easy. But need the power to run it.

Corvette1974

I will bring up 20 pairs of the HD rubber Mud flaps to give away. I also have an empty 330 gallon clean plastic tote with sealed lid in a steel cage. It is also available. I would like something to trade for it. Maybe a folding GI shovel and scabbard or something. Maybe not. I will bring it up Friday night with the wood and the mudflaps. I would like to go home that night with an empty trailer. Will I have help to unload the wood? It will be mixed new lumber floor boards and scrap lumber. No nails or fasteners. I just don't want to take anything home but the empty trailer. I will give some wood to other campers at Rausch if you feel you have enough. Please advise. I have more flaps if that is not enough to go around. it makes nice HD floor mats. And mud flaps. Very useful. Thank you. Hey and i may have a bundle of scrap 4 X 4's with a generator I have a chop saw. easy easy. But need the power to run it.

I am bringing an MEP-015 1.5 Kw if that would help for power

Will

Lukes_deuce

I am bringing a 6000 watt generator, so we can power any saw, compressor or power tools. I can also bring a chain saw is needed to cut some fire wood. If Im at the park when you arrive, I can give you a hand unloading the firewood.

Kalashnikov

I'll take that tote if youd like. Not sure what you want to trade it for? I'm still 50/50 if I'm going or not. Anyone have a CTIS plug kit they'd bring and want to sell? I still have hubs taped up...

If I do end up going i might just cut out the sections of pallets that are nail free. I can use the stuff with nails at home.

frantik

That would not have made the trip.
I know, right? I checked the driver's side and it's OK. I spent 18hrs and 12min to fix it between Friday and Saturday. I was able to source a bearing, a race, and the sockets an hour and a half away.

The Big Man upstairs helped me on MANY levels for this one.

Here is the after...
20160319_201301.jpg
20160319_183845.jpg

Yes, it is a solid red light!

A big thanks to "Those Military Guys." Specifically, Robert for helping me troubleshoot the CTIS.

cucvrus

I opened up my passenger side hub Friday night to replace my CTIS seals, and found this lovely bearing.View attachment 613927View attachment 613928
You have 2 weeks. That would come under the quadruple PM check list for sure. I would be looking at that thing with a microscope. I have Terminus M1009 and still spend a good 8 hours checking and rechecking everything on it before I depart and enjoy the day riding. I plan for the best and the last 2 times I surpassed my expectations. I have a couple of friends coming up and we are going out as a small group. No big convoys for me. We spend a great deal of time on the north east side. A lot of deep mud and rutted trails to explore. I hope you can get it ready in time. Looking forward to seeing you at the off road park. Man I don't envy you having to work on that big heavy truck. I like the small CUCV's that is good enough for me. I had a 1942 GPW years back and wheeled it in stock form. Great vehicle just very uncomfortable to ride in all day and drive on the highway. Good Luck I hope things work out for you.

frantik

Well, I've replaced all of the fluids and filters. I've greased all the grease points under the truck. I broke down 5 of the 7 wheels to replace the o-rings between the two piece rims. A new air drier was put on last spring. I drove it over 3000 miles last season. (We sold our Mustang because we only drove it 400 miles last year. In my family's eyes, the 5 ton is much more fun- and still a convertible.)

As for the journey to Pennsylvania, I drive Haz-mat tanker trucks for a living. So, I'm used to a driving experience similar to what the 5 ton is like.

It's been a long time for me to be this excited about a trip! I am looking forward to meeting you all as well! If something happens on the way out or back, oh well. At the very least I'll have a good story to tell when I get back home!

cucvrus

I had an M1031 Contact Maintenance truck with that old 208 3 phase PTO driven generator and it delivered electricity with a bad sine wave. Burnt up a few good power tools. Not sure how all that sine wave works but I was told after the 3rd saw to get a Honda generator and that is what I did. Not to argue the old 208 worked but it damaged electrical motors on Milwaukee and Dewalt chop saws and a few radial arm saws. I have since sold the M1031 to a local farmer and he said the same thing about running power equipment. The Honda stayed with the truck mounted in back and was less expensive to run then the V 8 diesel at full throttle. I think it paid for itself in a year with the fuel savings alone. Made for a lot more room in the back also. Took up less space then the control panel of the original generator. Have a great day. Thanks for the offer. I will bring the wood someone else cam figure out how to cut it.

XchaosX

I plan of making it. Need to get a few things done on the truck first, I always like to wait til last minute. I'll be meeting up with Mikey and he heading down 81 Friday afternoon.

Attachments

I had an M1031 Contact Maintenance truck with that old 208 3 phase PTO driven generator and it delivered electricity with a bad sine wave. Burnt up a few good power tools. Not sure how all that sine wave works but I was told after the 3rd saw to get a Honda generator and that is what I did. Not to argue the old 208 worked but it damaged electrical motors on Milwaukee and Dewalt chop saws and a few radial arm saws. I have since sold the M1031 to a local farmer and he said the same thing about running power equipment. The Honda stayed with the truck mounted in back and was less expensive to run then the V 8 diesel at full throttle. I think it paid for itself in a year with the fuel savings alone. Made for a lot more room in the back also. Took up less space then the control panel of the original generator. Have a great day. Thanks for the offer. I will bring the wood someone else cam figure out how to cut it.
The NP205 pto driven generators work great for their intended purpose. Completely overkill if you're just using it to run a 120v power drill. Where it shines is when you need 3 phase power for running big things like a welder or the air compressor. Running small things is no problem as long as the hertz on the output side of the generator is within specs. If those numbers deviate from the safe range, well that's what hertz those power tools. Bad hertz won't really bother a heating element or 3 phase motor. But single phase things like a saw or drill usually have a secondary startup winding activated by a centrifigal switch.

These old analog generator control setups are usually plagued with accurate running issues. just because the generator spins, doesn't mean it's working properly and putting out the right hertz. If the hertz is wrong, the switch and winding inside the motor won't function properly and will burn out the motor, regardless of a square wave or pure sinewave. The square and sine stuff matters with electronics. Square waves (dirty power), as most consumer grade generators go as well as this pto generator, will burn out electronics. Pure sinewave (clean power) like that of utility house power and those nice fancy Honda inverter generators, make electronics very happy. Don't run your computer or smart tv off that $300 generator you thought you got a deal on from Harbor Frieght. Sorry for the rant, it's just a bi-product of being an electrician...

Gonna be a great weekend, can't wait!

cucvrus

master.pngMaster. Thank you for the explanation. I knew what i meant and you elaborated it very well. Thank you. See you at the creek next week.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks