• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Para Cord Steering Wheel Wrap

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Not sure how much cord it took exactly. No more than 20 or so feet is my guess. It took a little more than an hour of constant work as I wouldn't allow breaks :)

When I see him again I'll inquire as to the weave name and any other pertinent info.

Sasquatch

Nice wrap, also like the camo wrap on the shifter and turn signal, chromes peeling off the plastic on mine.

Sorry, no video but this is a pretty easy wrap, most annoying thing is pulling all the extra line through. Hard to estimate how much you'll need, wrapping eats that line up quick.

Start by tying a basic knot at your starting point. Make a loop around the steering wheel, pass the end of the cord under the wrap, pull tight, repeat, the knots will naturally spiral. When you get the whole way around, tie off the end and cut the extra cord.

Attachments

oldMan99

Not sure how much cord it took exactly. No more than 20 or so feet is my guess. It took a little more than an hour of constant work as I wouldn't allow breaks :)

When I see him again I'll inquire as to the weave name and any other pertinent info.
Better than asking him the name of the weave....

Ask him how much he wants to charge. People can pull their wheel and send it to him to have this done. He could use the same packaging and ship it back.

I bet he would get some "business".

That would also look really nice on grab handles, stick shifts and more...

If he is up for it you could post his info in this thread and those interested could contact him directly... (If that is allowed? - If not, I assume it could be posted in the classified section)

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can avoid the twist in it by doing one hitch one way and reversing it on the next and then back the way of the first again and so on. That will give you a ridge in the same place all the way along its length. It works even better with smaller line for the tighter areas that the para cord doesn't do well in. There is another site www.frayedknotsart.com that will show you this stuff, and he DOES travel to do it, BUT IT "AIN'T" CHEAP. I can do it too depending on what it is, the artheritis is starting to slow me up too. But anybody close to Ohio I could probably help if you really wanted this stuff.2cents

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I will have to do that to my 5 ton steering wheel. Great Idea.

davidkroberts

i used to do decorative boat paddles when i was a recon marine. If you use a heavy wire like a clothes hanger type you can use it like a rib and alternate the rap around it giving you something to hold on to.

Thanks for the posting ive never thought about doing it to a steering wheel

OEFISHER

So has anybody figured out how much Para Cord it takes? I sure don't want to cut 60' off my spool and spend an hour or so of labor just to find out that I need 75':cry:. Especially if I am sitting in the cold to do it!!

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I'll post the Eagle Scouts email address tomorrow so you guys can ask him questions directly. I spoke with him a few days ago and he's willing to wrap anyone's wheel if you send it to him.

I've got him doing some knife handles on a few Randall's I have. Pics to follow when completed.

oldMan99

I'll post the Eagle Scouts email address tomorrow so you guys can ask him questions directly. I spoke with him a few days ago and he's willing to wrap anyone's wheel if you send it to him.

I've got him doing some knife handles on a few Randall's I have. Pics to follow when completed.
Cool! Thanks...

And yes, of curse, pics of the completed knife projects please!

Very talented young man, and a very creative solution to your problem. I hope that he gets a few wheels to do for some spending money. Nice to see a solution that did not use those tacky things sold at most auto parts stores. Lucky for me, all it took was.some of that Orange cleaner for my steering wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks