• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got things cleaned up for a test drive, then made a total mess! When I had the dash open 1,342 times, I must have laid the corner down on the oil pressure gauge line. You guessed it. I've got a 1/2 quart of oil in the cab now. :patracy:

Off to the parts store I go. *sigh* I hope this isn't a sign.

BTW, Wreckerman is right. Steering this thing is "weird". I had to do a three point turn trying to get out of the driveway. Gotta start steering sooner than I normally would. I can see me getting some 5 gallon buckets and a parking lot to "train" myself coming soon!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll bet that was a shock, oil pouring from the dash.
Shock followed by "Are you serious?". Fixed now. The tubing got kinked right at the ferule, split when 100psi hit it clear off the back. Shoulda been more careful. :(

Tomorrow I'll vacuum out the cab (put some kitty litter on the oil to try to dry it up). Then I have some degreaser I'll spray it down with. Ugh. Oh and low beam burnt out on the drivers side. Got that swapped with my last spare. Hmphf! I'm not touching it anymore today!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your oil pressure gauge tubing nylon? If so, I would recommend changing to 1/8 copper. Over the years, selling parts I have seen many failures of the nylon/plastic tubing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is your oil pressure gauge tubing nylon? If so, I would recommend changing to 1/8 copper. Over the years, selling parts I have seen many failures of the nylon/plastic tubing.
Unfortunately, that's all the parts store had in stock. But I'm sure the truck will be in constant refinement.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, that's all the parts store had in stock. But I'm sure the truck will be in constant refinement.
The ferrules and fittings are the same for copper or nylon. Cheaper to buy just copper line at home depot/lowes than a kit from a parts store.

BTW, Nice job on your build!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On the positive side, you floor will probably never rust. [thumbzup]
:burn:Yeah, my nice brand new, never driven floorboard.

The ferrules and fittings are the same for copper or nylon. Cheaper to buy just copper line at home depot/lowes than a kit from a parts store.

BTW, Nice job on your build!
From browsing their site, I didn't see 1/8", just down to 1/4". I'll check lowes today. (They're better at plumbing IMO)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Otterzone is about double the distance away from the po-dunk advance in the next town over. And the tubes they have isn't long enough for a single run. I'm just going to source a coil of tubing in 12+ ft.

ryan77

I can check at work tomorrow the control guys might have 1/8 copper in a roll ! I know we have 1/4" but that can be bought at home depot!

Al Harvey

How far (and fast) did you get on your test drive? I'm curious how the ride is, I know our HEMTTs bounced a lot. Well at least the up-armored ones did.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/8" o.d. copper tube would be available from plumbing wholesale house and or HVAC wholesaler. You're getting there! Nice job!
God bless,
Tony

hwcurtice

I would think, in your neck of the woods, finding coiled copper tubing would either be really easy to find, or almost impossible...

If you know what I mean....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How far (and fast) did you get on your test drive? I'm curious how the ride is, I know our HEMTTs bounced a lot. Well at least the up-armored ones did.
Just around the block, never got over 30mph. Surprisingly, bounce isn't as bad as I thought it would be. And I haven't even dialed in the seats yet!

1/8" o.d. copper tube would be available from plumbing wholesale house and or HVAC wholesaler. You're getting there! Nice job!
God bless,
Tony
I live in a very small town. There's a grocery store, a dollar general, 3 gas stations, a lawn mower repair shop, and a drugstore. That's it LOL. Two traffic lights, IF you count the one on the bypass!

There's a small mom/pop napa in the next town over. But they're only open M-F. I'll check tomorrow.

I would think, in your neck of the woods, finding coiled copper tubing would either be really easy to find, or almost impossible...

If you know what I mean....
Almost impossible LOL. But I love where I live for that very fact.

Videos to come shortly.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy afternoon/evening here working on the site. I only took it around the block and I didn't have any camera crew to help film me, so hopefully this walk around will work. The side cover is off as the voltage regulator was high (30v). I think perhaps the battery equalizer somehow caused this along with only half the normal batteries it had. I'm also thinking about adding a large cooler on that side for the transmission now. I've got plenty of fans for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVswfuwTXFs

And some of you were commenting about the radio. Well here's the two speakers (not all the way up) with the engine running. It's not as loud in the cab as I thought it would be. (Engine noise) The recorded audio sounds distorted, but it wasn't in the cab, probably my stupid phone. Notice I rev the engine too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3od2nJRVaw

And I picked up two sets of these... They'll be installed in each window.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvDm5q1dMs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks