• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow!

What year is the engine? Because I've heard more people finding 27 and higher buttons in their 250's. Course these were M939 series trucks. I guess I'll pop mine out this week after driving it. I think I'd be safe to run a 20 button without a probe.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engines rebuilt 11/92

Is it bad that as I was pulling the button I was thinking, "I should do the dual fuel line mod. Maybe put in a lower number button..." then I remembered 1. I don't own these locomotives (yet) 2. I have barely any cara to pull (thanks corruption!)

Last edited:

M35A2TN

Very very nice Patracy, the craftsmanship is simply outstanding. Of course you don't need me to tell you that, you have PB to remind you! lol

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a lot of progress tonight. But I did find a EGT gauge and a probe I had laying around. Problem was, the probe was missing the fittings. So some quick work with a compression fitting and a small washer to space it, I make my own adapter. I have drilled and tapped the manifold tonight as well. I'm going to drill another hole for the gauge on the panel left of the speedo. I also had a spare air pressure gauge laying around. I'll drill and install that one on the doghouse tunnel where the driver's right elbow is near. Since it's not a gauge that will be watched often, I think that's a good place for it. I'll also install a switch to control the valving for the air bags there too for higher/lower pressure. So maybe this weekend I'll get to take it for a test drive and change buttons.

Oh yeah, all the exhaust is buttoned up now as well.

rebelqwes87

Wow!

What year is the engine? Because I've heard more people finding 27 and higher buttons in their 250's. Course these were M939 series trucks. I guess I'll pop mine out this week after driving it. I think I'd be safe to run a 20 button without a probe.
Mine was a 32 stock, just before the rally I swapped in a 22. I can tell a big difference in climbing hills. I've got a 17 that I will put in once I get a pyrometer.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got the gauge mounted and wired up. Gonna run to CSI tomorrow to pick up a gasket for the idler plunger cover so I can start playing with that. I did fire it up tonight with the gauge. I'm kinda baffled. I was only showing about 150-200F on EGT at idle and revving it up. Course it was cold for the engine, and I know that's a lot of iron to heat up. But my all my other diesels (much smaller) will hit 250-300F at idle.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went for a test drive. WOW. What a difference. When I was pulling out of my road onto the highway, I'm used to mashing down pretty good to get it moving. I did so like I normally would and realized real quick I have more bottom end now. I'm also trying to flush out the radiator a bit too. That's taken care of. Only problem I had was with my makeshift boot. I used a rubber plumbing boot. That lasted about 5 miles LOL. I'm tracking down a real boot now.

Now for the temps, I was running 900F up hill in 5th under throttle, no load. I have not touched the button yet. Once I can get the boot solved, I'll start tinkering with it more. I saw about 12 psi of boost as well.

jdknech

is there a reason you kept the 4" exhaust? I would think it is too restrictive? and did you up the intake size? I tried using the orignal 4" intake piping, and the turbo wouldn't spool up..

as always, outstanding work!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Space limit under the knuckleboom. And it should be fine. I'm even feeding it back through the stock muffler. I had a 5" exhaust on my dodge with a 5.9 Cummins. Even with nearly 500rwhp it was overkill. Spooling is driven a lot more by turbine housing size. From the short drive spooling doesn't seem to be an issue.

Strouty

Between you and Soni, I have wasted most of my weekend dreaming. Now I want to make a "VEMTT" (Very Expandable Mobile Tower Truck). I build radio, television, and cellular towers, I just bought an M932A1 to make into a utility truck. Now that I have seen the versatility, I may just make one. All I need is a cab and a year or so of my spare time.

I was going to just put a civilian cab on it, but this gives so much more space to use. I know it would not be military, but I have a Mack cab over cab that looks very similar to the HEMTT cabs, except it has a few more creature comforts built in. So one question I have, will I end up getting banned for using a civilian cab?????

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Between you and Soni, I have wasted most of my weekend dreaming. Now I want to make a "VEMTT" (Very Expandable Mobile Tower Truck). I build radio, television, and cellular towers, I just bought an M932A1 to make into a utility truck. Now that I have seen the versatility, I may just make one. All I need is a cab and a year or so of my spare time.

I was going to just put a civilian cab on it, but this gives so much more space to use. I know it would not be military, but I have a Mack cab over cab that looks very similar to the HEMTT cabs, except it has a few more creature comforts built in. So one question I have, will I end up getting banned for using a civilian cab?????[/QUOTE]

Not if you paint it OD and call it a "VEMTT-E"...Very Expandable Mobile Tower Truck-Experimental :naner:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I was going to just put a civilian cab on it, but this gives so much more space to use. I know it would not be military, but I have a Mack cab over cab that looks very similar to the HEMTT cabs, except it has a few more creature comforts built in. So one question I have, will I end up getting banned for using a civilian cab?????[/QUOTE]

Not if you paint it OD and call it a "VEMTT-E"...Very Expandable Mobile Tower Truck-Experimental :naner:
I think that would actually bear the designation XM932A1-VEMTT

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So this weekend I did get the boot corrected. But since I'm on call, I didn't drive it. Maybe this afternoon I'll sneak out for a drive. I also sourced all the parts needed for my airbag front suspension experiment. Well, except I need some bar stock.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem I see with the front air bag experiment is that the weight on the front axle usually is always the same. that is why they don't really put airbags on front axles. Why cant you just put more leaves in the front suspension again... or have the springs re-arched? I love your truck by the way, it looks very nice. :smile:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only problem I see with the front air bag experiment is that the weight on the front axle usually is always the same. that is why they don't really put airbags on front axles. Why cant you just put more leaves in the front suspension again... or have the springs re-arched? I love your truck by the way, it looks very nice. :smile:
I actually plan on taking leaves out of the pack. The pack will be there to locate the axle and prevent wrap, but the bags will "tune" the ride. It's only about $300 in parts. If it doesn't work like I hope, I can probably figure out something else to do with the bags. Then I'll just pull the packs and take them to Big Moe's in Atlanta and let them build me a different set.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just waiting for patracy to get all the bugs worked out of that beast so I can trade/beg him out of it!!:papabear:
I still gotta play around with the buttons to see where I wanna get it at for power. I also need to run through the injectors and valves for good measure. Once the bags are done, I'll tinker with the AC. Then touch up the paint on the crane. Then I think it'll be done.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i still gotta play around with the buttons to see where i wanna get it at for power. I also need to run through the injectors and valves for good measure. Once the bags are done, i'll tinker with the ac. Then touch up the paint on the crane. Then i think it'll be done.
Never done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks