• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually plan on taking leaves out of the pack. The pack will be there to locate the axle and prevent wrap, but the bags will "tune" the ride. It's only about $300 in parts. If it doesn't work like I hope, I can probably figure out something else to do with the bags. Then I'll just pull the packs and take them to Big Moe's in Atlanta and let them build me a different set.

If you remove leaves, wont that promote more axle wrap?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went to see Wreckerman today and picked up two more locked axles. (I have 3 total now) That's going to be a job to swap in. I did drive the SEMTT around yesterday a bit. Everything seems to be doing well. EGTs are 900F under WOT in 5th no load. Tomorrow I'm going to drive it around a bit more. But after I change the button. The "softest" button I have is a #20. I have down to a #7.

Anyhow, I found this thread about the Cummins 290. So I'm going to model boost of this...

http://forums.aths.org/123075/290-Cummins-sick-or-not

As well as the numbers are also echo'ed by Pittsburg.

https://www.pittsburghpower.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110

Basically 15-20psi of boost for a 290 or 300hp. And that first thread said a #20 button.

M920

Considering it took us most of the day to cut the offending axles out I'd say you have your work cut out for you.

I'm still considering what do do with the ISO bed off the donor truck.:shrugs:
So wait a second WM, do you mean with all your famous talking skills you have totally failed to convince Drew, that he absolutely needed that ISO bed for his SEMTT?!?!

This is really almost borderline "somewhat disappointing"......Not sure what to say here..... :roll: lol

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After my jog this AM, I decided to change the buttons. I figured out why this thing has no problem free reving to 2400+ rpm. There's gotta be nearly a 1/4" of shims stacked in it. But the more interesting thing is, I don't have a 27 button like most. I have a 30 in it stock! So it's now a 20. I'll test drive it this afternoon to see how it goes.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I went for a drive but noted that it was defueling at about 1950rpm. I mean fall on your face defueling. Even rolling down the hill it was defueling. Came back home and noticed a retainer/shim on the ground I must have dropped! While on the road and driving, I saw almost the same EGTs (perhaps about 10-15F higher). Boost increased about 1-2psi to 12psi. So I've pulled it back down and installed a #17 button and the retainer/shim. I haven't driven it yet, but I'm able to rev it to 2400rpm whacking it, and it'll hum along at 2100rpm no problem now instead of 1950 at high idle. Honestly I think I could probably drop down to a #15 no problem as well. But I want to see no more than 950F unloaded, 5th gear, WOT.

Terrh

Stranded in a truck stop till the morning so I went through your whole thread.

Awesome build. I thought building a race car was a lot of work! I am impressed with the looks of the end result, I had my doubts especially when I saw the picture with both cabs. I thought it would be ugly for sure, but it looks good!

My two cents on a few things on the last few pages:

My OTR semi truck has front air ride and rides like a dream. It's a 2005 Freightliner Cascadia. I can take some pics of the airbag setup if you think it might help. It's the best riding OTR truck I've driven. All the parts should be commonly available and relatively inexpensive. It's bags on leaf springs, a lot like helper setups in a pickup truck would be.

My "fun" car makes 600 WHP and 500 WTQ through 2 2.5" exhaust pipes, a single 4" should be more than enough flow even with a big diesel in front if it. I also had "just" a 3" exhaust on my 360HP/800TQ F250 with a 7.3. The kids with 12" exhaust pipes on a 5.9 dodge just think it makes them look cool. Or something.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stranded in a truck stop till the morning so I went through your whole thread.

Awesome build. I thought building a race car was a lot of work! I am impressed with the looks of the end result, I had my doubts especially when I saw the picture with both cabs. I thought it would be ugly for sure, but it looks good!

My two cents on a few things on the last few pages:

My OTR semi truck has front air ride and rides like a dream. It's a 2005 Freightliner Cascadia. I can take some pics of the airbag setup if you think it might help. It's the best riding OTR truck I've driven. All the parts should be commonly available and relatively inexpensive. It's bags on leaf springs, a lot like helper setups in a pickup truck would be.

My "fun" car makes 600 WHP and 500 WTQ through 2 2.5" exhaust pipes, a single 4" should be more than enough flow even with a big diesel in front if it. I also had "just" a 3" exhaust on my 360HP/800TQ F250 with a 7.3. The kids with 12" exhaust pipes on a 5.9 dodge just think it makes them look cool. Or something.
I ummm, was one of the "cool kids" I guess. But it got old. FAST. I know it's boring to only have a 4" exhaust with a muffler on a turbo'ed truck. But with where the cab is, it's very pleasant in the cab on the highway. I guess I'm getting old and no longer one of the cool kids.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that as I got older, I didn't care what others thought. It's a lot easier when you only have to make you happy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well the SEMTT has been giving me a little bit of trouble lately. The battery equalizer bit the dust and I fragged the batteries. Got a Pyle voltage converter to just handle it that way. Got all that wired up and the batteries swapped. Well I was trying to flush out the radiator and ended up bursting the heat exchanger. (See here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132451) So this weekend I'm going to try to clear that up with another quick radiator flush and coolant swap. Then several oil changes of the transmission.

I did pick up another toy though, so here's a pic.
odinnv.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well the SEMTT has been giving me a little bit of trouble lately. The battery equalizer bit the dust and I fragged the batteries. Got a Pyle voltage converter to just handle it that way. Got all that wired up and the batteries swapped. Well I was trying to flush out the radiator and ended up bursting the heat exchanger. (See here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132451) So this weekend I'm going to try to clear that up with another quick radiator flush and coolant swap. Then several oil changes of the transmission.

I did pick up another toy though, so here's a pic.
View attachment 530882
NO!!! DON'T SHOOT IT!!!:shock:

It's just a machine!! It didn't mean to be bad!!:lol:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That pic is only through the PVS-14, would need to see the rectile if it was setup as a co-witness on something for bad things to follow. :mrgreen:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I've updated the transmission thread. But things seem to be on the upward swing now.

So back to the turbo!

WOW! There's a hill going to town that I normally have to downshift to go up it. While I did slow down to ~45mph, I stayed in 5th gear going up it! So should it still be a "S"EMTT?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Finally had a little clearer weather today so I've tinkered a bit more. Carrying on with the "speed improvements", I decided to improve two things. The air filter housing and the fact the crankcase vent was just dumping to the environment. Not for emissions reasons, but I know any engine can benefit from reduced or negative crankcase pressure. So I decided to use a bulkhead fitting to plumb the hose back into the intake stream once more. I plumbed it in on the inside of the air filter side. While I was in there I decided to remove the sheetmetal that blocks nearly half the air filter. Seriously, I can't understand why they did this. Some time with the die grinder and it was free. I used a hole saw in the drill to plumb up the bulkhead fitting for the crankcase vent. I also used a o-ring to help make sure it stays sealed off as well. Then a good cleaning before reassembly. Interestingly the truck seems to idle better and throttle response seems improved as well. I have not taken it for a test drive yet, but hopefully it was worth while. If anything I removed a couple of ounces, so that counts to make it faster right? LOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks