• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got in a hurry and forgot to attach the pics! :patracy:

Also, this is for Chris and my friends that knew about my last mishap with a grinder.
uploadfromtaptalk1420410628502.jpg

Just in case any bits or creatures decided to sneak into the engine while I worked...
uploadfromtaptalk1420410620094.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420410636391.jpguploadfromtaptalk1420410644603.jpguploadfromtaptalk1420410657236.jpguploadfromtaptalk1420410664605.jpguploadfromtaptalk1420410672316.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Be careful sucking the crankcase vapers back to the air filter if to much oil is sucked you will have a runaway diesel.
NHC-250's were plumbed into the intake horn of the engine stock. Except now the path has to go up out of the valve covers, up a hose, into the filter housing, back over a 2" rise, then down the intake tubing, make a 90*, go a foot, make a 30* turn, go another foot, make a 90*, go a few inches, make another 90*, go into the turbo, back out of the turbo, into the crossover manifold (which makes two 90* turns), then it'll be where it was factory.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a pic of how it was routed stock. As you can now see from my earlier description, it's got a lot lot longer path to follow now! The red box shows the stock line where it was plumbed into the intake horn.

250stock.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would have thought placing the vent line outside the filter would be better, but I understand it would muck it up pretty quick.

Another Ahab

Except now the path has to go up out of the valve covers, up a hose, into the filter housing, back over a 2" rise, then down the intake tubing, make a 90*, go a foot, make a 30* turn, go another foot, make a 90*, go a few inches, make another 90*, go into the turbo, back out of the turbo, into the crossover manifold (which makes two 90* turns), then it'll be where it was factory.

Mouse-maze.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have another idea if I start seeing oil somehow climb a foot and half up top of the valve covers. I'll make a "catch can" and plumb it before the bulkhead. But honestly I only saw a drip of oil from the tube since the turbo.

FWIW, this is the same crankcase vent routing as many cummins have now. Also it's the same routing as my liberty CRD has. I wonder if I can find how they did it on the Cummins 290 since that's really what my engine "is" now.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Been meaning to post this, but I've forgot for a few weeks with all the 114 stuff. This is after a few drives, at highway speed as well. Not a drop.

IMAG4059.jpg

lino

... While I was in there I decided to remove the sheetmetal that blocks nearly half the air filter. Seriously, I can't understand why they did this. Some time with the die grinder and it was free....
You find this in many vehicles. Some sort of baffle that appears to be directly in the way of airflow thru the filter. It is done on purpose and with good reason. In a manner it's another stage of filtration.

In your pictures the air feed into the filter housing is at the bottom. With that "ring baffle" in place the incoming air had to go up and around the baffle to get to the filter. It can (with a minuscule pressure drop). The dirt and other particulates in the air have much more difficulty making that move, and so much of that is separated out before reaching the air filter.

You have done nothing wrong there, just slightly shifted the balance of compromise in the original design.

Before:
A slight drop in performance was an acceptable trade for longer life of air filter.

Now:
You have a small increase in performance, however your air filter will need [slightly] more frequent replacement.

For a non-military application with a user that cares for his vehicle, IMHO, you made the better compromise.
That said, the original engineers did the right thing too, as any compromise [particularly with a military vehicle] that has a minor negative effect on performance but an increase in reliability is a good one.

Just my 2 cents...

ciao
lino

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You find this in many vehicles. Some sort of baffle that appears to be directly in the way of airflow thru the filter. It is done on purpose and with good reason. In a manner it's another stage of filtration.

That said, the original engineers did the right thing too, as any compromise [particularly with a military vehicle] that has a minor negative effect on performance but an increase in reliability is a good one.

ciao
lino
Don't doubt for a second that you're absolutely right here, lino; good stuff:

- Are you maybe a registered engineer?

- From Italy!?

Another Ahab

Got A Lucky Streak Going

Don't doubt for a second that you're absolutely right here, lino; good stuff:

- Are you maybe a registered engineer?

- From Italy!?
Engineer, yes.
Well, not registered... Degree, yes. Registered/certified/professional, no.

Certifiable? Yes, absolutely (but perhaps not as engineer ;)...)

From Italy, indirectly. My father was born there.

ciao
lino
Might need to get me a Scratch Ticket today

ticket.jpg

M920

Here's a pic of how it was routed stock. As you can now see from my earlier description, it's got a lot lot longer path to follow now! The red box shows the stock line where it was plumbed into the intake horn.

View attachment 535586
Drew, on a naturally aspirated diesel engine it is ok to run it back in to the intake. On a turbo charged diesel engine it is a no no! It creates a very real danger for a runaway. The problem is not when all is well, as you pointed out, it will not get enough oil to matter. If you have a piston or ring failure you will have a runaway engine almost guaranteed. I would just run it down next to the oil pan and vent it to air.....

Just my two cents worth..... lol:whistle:

Truck looks great by the way.....one of these days I wana see it in person!!!

Soni

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I could easily unplug it and let it vent. But my CRD has the crankcase vent plumbed in this fashion as well. But I totally agree, a piston ring failure would cause problems. I drove about 50-60 miles over the weekend up hills and all sorts of angles. I haven't popped the filter, but I will to double check. I do plan on adding a oil/water separator to the line. I was thinking about something large like coffee can sized.

Hainebd

Runaways are no fun. I have only seen one and I don't like it. Jut be sure to have an Emergancy shutdown besides stalling in gear cause that will not work. I like your rig. Hopefully I can see it now painted.

agazza2

Patracy what did you finally end up doing with your fuel switching valve? I know you where going to look for a electric one. Did you find one that will do both the fuel and the vent line? Also where did you relocate this too on your SEMTT?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Patracy what did you finally end up doing with your fuel switching valve? I know you where going to look for a electric one. Did you find one that will do both the fuel and the vent line? Also where did you relocate this too on your SEMTT?

I used a pair of 2 way electric solenoid valves to replace the manual valve. Vent line? There's only a supply and return line on my setup? The vent lines are plumbed to the intake stack vent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks