• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not much but man this was a pain to install. I wanted some caution lights for the SEMTT. I'm probably going to get a rotating light as well. But I wanted something "modern" for it. So I ended up with these LED flashing lights. Problem was, the brackets they came mounted on weren't long enough to clear the windshield frame. So I fabbed a drop bracket out of bar stock. That also made it a lot easier to drill in and mount each pod instead of having to do it upside down, at a weird angle, in the cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkgsjbtEyg

Also the temp got a little high the last road trip I took out on it. Well there were a few other little issues. The radiator cap had a crack in it and would never allow the system to pressurize. I bought a new cap from the parts store last week. Got that installed. Also I took some of the conveyer belting that microjeep gave me at the rally and made some shrouding to make sure the radiator fan can only pull air in through the radiator. It kinda felt like it might have been pulling air around it when I crawled into the underside of the cab. Also I was chasing a hard start problem I had. Turns out, it was the little plastic line at the plunger pump. It's all the little things that are gonna drive me batty.

I haven't decided on the next course of action. I really should start working on the M750 for it. But I'd love to start tinkering with the AC system, turbo setup, add wetline ports, and build some bed modules and a 5th wheel wrecker.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ordered gaskets last night to install that intake/turbo. I'm going to install that before I start work on the M750. If I can finish the M750 by spring, I'll start on the AC for the SEMTT.

I also ordered a array of buttons for the PT pump. Once the turbo is installed I'll start stepping down step by step with the buttons until I get one I like/safe. I've seen several people say 5 or 7 number buttons for a turbo'ed 250. But I'd rather test it out with a trailer hooked up and play it safe. Now that I mention it. I need to drill and tap that other manifold before I install it!

Also, I've been battling a cooling issue with the truck. I was worried yesterday when I drove it around in ~55F weather and got up to 200F after a lot of hill climbs bob tailed. The radiator cap is good and the system is pressurized. But I found out the air actuator for the fan clutch isn't engaging. Since I'm dealing with a short deck on the truck and since the M809 is a direct drive, I bypassed the actuator completely and now the fan locks up once there's air pressure. We'll see how things go now. But I'm certain this was the cause of the issue.

Hopefully today I'll get some more pics/video.

zout

I likey them lights - fits perfect as if they belonged there. Should be nice weather out there for you today once that fog lifts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could also mount a eclectic fan on the front of the radiator
I bought a half dozen of those electric fans blazer had for sale here. Picked up a temp control as well. But they wouldn't push nearly the CFM that the engine fan will push when it's running. I'm planning on taking some of the condensers I picked up from him to make a oil cooler loop from the oil supply line to the turbo. I thought about doing that with the trans cooler line too, but I'm afraid it won't have the flow needed. I also still have my 931's heater setup. That's 30K BTU. I might install it towards the tail end of the truck as a aux cooler as well. But given the fact that the main engine fan hasn't been doing a thing, I'm betting I've got the problem solved now.

M920

I bought a half dozen of those electric fans blazer had for sale here. Picked up a temp control as well. But they wouldn't push nearly the CFM that the engine fan will push when it's running. I'm planning on taking some of the condensers I picked up from him to make a oil cooler loop from the oil supply line to the turbo. I thought about doing that with the trans cooler line too, but I'm afraid it won't have the flow needed. I also still have my 931's heater setup. That's 30K BTU. I might install it towards the tail end of the truck as a aux cooler as well. But given the fact that the main engine fan hasn't been doing a thing, I'm betting I've got the problem solved now.
Yes, I bet you are right! If the fan NEVER runs, that would make mine get to hot as well.....I think you are on the right track.

Soni

M920

Infartion for you Soni!

Love ya Ron! :73m819:
Sorry.....Just could not resist.....it sounded too funny and at first glance it even looked right!
But it was in no way my intention to be offensive....my apologies to you Ron! I certainly have done this kind of stuff way to many times myself.... :roll:

Soni

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the cooling issue appears to be resolved. It was like a rock on the temp gauge, even lugging it in 5th gear up the hills. Never got over 185F. Only downside with how it's setup right now is the incredibly loud fan! I guess I'll see if I can repair or replace that actuator. Or I have an idea of how to control it electronically. (And be able to manually override it) Anyhow, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69OmSDjnjLA

Sorry for the shakiness. Tried driving and holding the phone at the same time. :patracy:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great ride. Twenty years ago we wouldn't have been able to come along so real glad you waited til now so we could.

Huge build, kinda like trying to make a DUKW out of a G749. Very inspirational, thanks.